Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

I'll write it again.

On 11/14/2016 at 0:43 PM, Soly said:

You cannot do such a thing without modifying the client and is not any random modification, such a thing requires great knowledge of programming and the game as well as time and effort.

With that I meant that was not possible :)
Worse after having to code such an unit, having to disable it from being equipped with STA or having to add resistance changes (which btw, units don't have resistance parameters)...
I don't know why add a broken thing to fix it right away, might as well just not add the broken thing.
There are other things that (in theory) would be easier to make (not easy, easier than this one) and seem more popular... like the v802 (and forgot all the rest)

7 hours ago, Misombre said:

if such an item was build, we should either :

• Disable it with STA
  • Put a malus on the unit such as : -70 to all the resists -350 DFP -350 EVP

Probably the best would be to disable it only with STA, since the malus thing would be too much of a hassle for people without STA (would basically have ~0 DFP/EVP/resists so...)

Anyway there is always "ways to balance" I guess. But it's not like such an unit could see the day of light so...

I was just giving some examples, it would be the same with WD (which can actually have a higher DFP than STA, minus the RES)

The malus idea sounds funny and reminds me the Death Ring on Castlevania (get a lot of ATP but get killed by a single shot of any weak attack) but DF makes it already in episode II you basically die most of the time a monster hits you.

And yeah it won't never exist so no need to discuss I guess ;)

1 hour ago, Depassage said:

It seems the forum character viewer doesn't notices that weapons are untekked and doesn't up their value by 10. Unlike the previous PSo BB reader program. could it be changed please?

You are right... I forgot to add the untekked flag (I also have present flag in my desktop app), however the stat doesn't have to be increased by 10, because that would be incorrect.

Edit:
Added flags for untekked and wrapped (for weapons)

• Like 1

All is a question of view point.

What if... I was posting impossible items on this thread in order to make you think that some previous ideas was really so much easier that you could feel like biting full fangs out in the work ahead ? :onion-head05:

Also could we have a Vanguard unit : +75 DEF +75 EVP +6 all resists ?

Need Centurion/Body Centurion/Legs and Centurion/TP to be released at least

Was about to go to sleep when i had two weapon ideas that popped into my head, figured id post them just in case i forgot.

Combo locked katana (saber animation) high atp slow attack speed (if doable?).  only hits one enemy, would be cool to have to time the attack.

Something like a game magazine with no atp or ata but has dfp and eva stats (maybe resists) that can be switched to in battle (similar to how people use glide before taking elemental attacks).

ok good night

3 hours ago, Misombre said:

All is a question of view point.

What if... I was posting impossible items on this thread in order to make you think that some previous ideas was really so much easier that you could feel like biting full fangs out in the work ahead ? :onion-head05:

Also could we have a Vanguard unit : +75 DEF +75 EVP +6 all resists ?

Not gonna happen lol.

Also units can only have 1 stat, so either EVP, DFP or resistances but can't be combined.

2 hours ago, R-78 said:

Need Centurion/Body Centurion/Legs and Centurion/TP to be released at least

I'd rather do these instead!

35 minutes ago, Eres said:

Was about to go to sleep when i had two weapon ideas that popped into my head, figured id post them just in case i forgot.

Combo locked katana (saber animation) high atp slow attack speed (if doable?).  only hits one enemy, would be cool to have to time the attack.

Something like a game magazine with no atp or ata but has dfp and eva stats (maybe resists) that can be switched to in battle (similar to how people use glide before taking elemental attacks).

ok good night

:onion-head49:

13 hours ago, Soly said:

Also units can only have 1 stat, so either EVP, DFP or resistances but can't be combined.

What about Adept then, is it a special case because of all the different bonuses +TP reduction it has?

Whenever you mention hardcoded stuff in PSO, how can I imagine that? Is it a specfic item hex code that is tied to unique properties so that particular item has no stats in a file (hence they cannot be altered) since they are hidden deep in the games' .exe?

It's a shame game code is so big and complex these days. Back in the 80s with its 8-bit CPUs, I could hack infinite lives/energy myself, just looking for specific instructions in the code, like this example in Z80 code:

LD A,(HL) - Load register A (8-bit register) with the value of what HL (16-bit register) points at.

DEC A - Decrease A (by 1).

So I'd just remove the "DEC A" instruction and whatever got counted down by 1 simply stayed the same. Any possible check after this to see if A maybe had reached 0 (= Game Over or life lost) never took place either. It was just a matter of finding the correct instance of this code because obviously not every one was related to lives/energy etc.

Basically hardcoded stuff have "properties, functions, name it" not at the right place in the code. It's literally all over the place and you have to search for it most of the time. Hardcoded stuff are like exceptions in the code structure.

It's the opposite of "organized and reusable". Coders hardcode most of the time because they don't have the time to do it properly (deadlines). And sometime too because of laziness, and sometime again because they think it will be a one time thing. The cause of this often being : the system has not being made for the new content, so instead of revamping all the system, we make exception.

By example, Adept coming into PSOBB is like Tetris with new triangular shapes (except this example is bad because you would probably have to remake the very core of tetris in this case, hardcoding may not be enough xD).

Edited by Misombre

Basically, there is a table of all items, and a number of what stat the change, and then another for how much. (simplified since there are a lot of those numbers per item).

pmtExample_zps9azkrfhe.png

Hardcoded stuff doesn't have a number, there are (probably) lines in the source code that look kind of like this:

foreach(Item I in player.equips){
    try{
        // load properties from table
    catch(NullPropertyException e){
      if (I.id = ADEPT.id) {
          player.stats.tpCosts = player.stats.tpCosts*.75
          player.stats.atp += 10
          player.stats.mst += 10
          player.stats.dfp += 10
          player.stats.lck += 10
          player.stats.evp += 10
          player.stats.ata += 20
      }
      // move if statements for each hardcoded item
    }
}

But when you compile this into assembly this kind of stuff gets incredibly hard to find.  It's even harder to replicate these kind of items since we don't have the original source code, and we don't know what else in the program might be relying on there being only a set number of these, or being on a specific line ( branch\jump commands if they use PC relative addressing).

EDIT: On another note, can we have our [ spoiler ] and [ code ] tags back? Editing the html source is a pain and seems to be the only way to work with those.

Edited by Lemon