Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

12 hours ago, nnorton44 said:

Make transparent wave download with the launcher

People who complain about the visual aspect of DF special probably dont know it exists

This is a fantastic idea, I'll talk to @Soly if getting a launcher setting is feasible.

12 hours ago, DiosGX said:

So here's an odd request... is anyone here familiar with Dreamcast Version 2's unique quest where Montague showed up? It was originally the only way to turn Ultimate Mode enemy parts into weapons, and it gave them affinity %s as well. I distinctly recall trading for some S-red's Arms for my friend so he could get them weaponized in that weird online quest, and in so doing, he ended up with 45% A.Beast 35% Hit S-Reds  Blades. 

But to my knowledge, that quest was nixed when Blue Burst became a thing, and now you can only add hit to enemy parts post-craft in EP4 via government quests and Photon Crystals. I would really like to see at least some way to add affinity % onto enemy weapons with Photon Crystals maybe, simply because it USE to be in the game back when I originally played it way back when. 

Just my two centavos. o3o

Do you have a copy of this quest?  I can take a look at it and see if it's something we can do here.  I have never looked at how PC's are used to add hit before, but my quick search leads me to believe it might be something doable.  This would have to get larva's approval before we do anything on it though.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Do you have a copy of this quest? 

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anybody does. Like I mentioned, it was something unique to Dreamcast Version 2 in the quest Today's Rate. Montague would appear all the way next to the bank area, and that's where he would make things like S-Red's, Baranz Launcher—the newer enemy weapons that were added from Ultimate mode enemies. It would be pretty unlikely anyone has that quest these days sadly. There's still evidence of its existence documented elsewhere, though that doesn't help you with the code itself. ;p

I just figure, it was already a thing long ago, and I think having the ability to let users try to get cool %s on enemy weapons would make this server stand-out among others of its ilk. It was, after all, something that already existed at one point. It wouldn't really hinder DT use I don't think, as it only applies to a small range of weapons that generally aren't that-used anyway. Exceptions, of course, would be Macho Blades once boosted if you had some rad S-Red's as a base. But like, Bringer's Rifle only needs hit anyway since people only use it for the special and not its raw damage usually. I don't think it would hinder DTs at all for those who use them to give %-ups.

Plus, it would maybe make Photon Crystals slightly more valuable to some people, and give newer players to this server another way to get their foot in the proverbial door of an already-established economy.

13 hours ago, nnorton44 said:

Make transparent wave download with the launcher

People who complain about the visual aspect of DF special probably dont know it exists

I talked to Lemon briefly about this.
If I am not mistaken, the DF wave FX is in a container which would have to get updated to apply the mod to the wave FX, I don't think I want to have the launcher managing files like this.
This is the reason why I made the textures and models being able to just drop your custom file and the game will read it when needed without needing to modify the whole container.

I am not sure if I can do the same with effect.xx (don't remember the extension) but the file is not overwritten by updates anyway so my short term solution would be to make a post in the game modifications sub forum with a nice title and maybe even pinned so people looking for this can find it easily.

I am against putting stuff in the launcher just for the sake of being seen because nobody reads anything there anyway, otherwise I wouldn't be able to explain how people mistakenly log into the test server when the option is disabled by default.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, DiosGX said:

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anybody does. Like I mentioned, it was something unique to Dreamcast Version 2 in the quest Today's Rate. Montague would appear all the way next to the bank area, and that's where he would make things like S-Red's, Baranz Launcher—the newer enemy weapons that were added from Ultimate mode enemies. It would be pretty unlikely anyone has that quest these days sadly. There's still evidence of its existence documented elsewhere, though that doesn't help you with the code itself. ;p

I just figure, it was already a thing long ago, and I think having the ability to let users try to get cool %s on enemy weapons would make this server stand-out among others of its ilk. It was, after all, something that already existed at one point. It wouldn't really hinder DT use I don't think, as it only applies to a small range of weapons that generally aren't that-used anyway. Exceptions, of course, would be Macho Blades once boosted if you had some rad S-Red's as a base. But like, Bringer's Rifle only needs hit anyway since people only use it for the special and not its raw damage usually. I don't think it would hinder DTs at all for those who use them to give %-ups.

Plus, it would maybe make Photon Crystals slightly more valuable to some people, and give newer players to this server another way to get their foot in the proverbial door of an already-established economy.

If it was dreamcast only, then it was likely never updated for later versions of the game and the quest would have to be edited to work with blue burst even if we did find a copy of it somewhere. I am curious about the quest though, where is the documentation of its existence you mentioned? Do you remember the name of the quest or any info about it?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Fyrewolf5 said:

If it was dreamcast only, then it was likely never updated for later versions of the game and the quest would have to be edited to work with blue burst even if we did find a copy of it somewhere. I am curious about the quest though, where is the documentation of its existence you mentioned? Do you remember the name of the quest or any info about it?

Yeah it was just part of Today's Rate on Dreamcast, and the little extra bit for enemy weapon parts was removed from Gamecube and on. PSO world still has a guide for the old Dreamcast version up:

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1314

37 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

Yeah it was just part of Today's Rate on Dreamcast, and the little extra bit for enemy weapon parts was removed from Gamecube and on. PSO world still has a guide for the old Dreamcast version up:

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1314

Ah. That's definitely one of the more interesting quests in the game. I've played through it before a few times for some testing, another source stated that the 'material' you get at the end is a tp material, so I tested that back in the day but I didn't get any material from it. I did get some funny pics of tiny racast fighting giant sinows and baranz though. It's also the quest I used to get some cinematic pics of humar vs giga dragon too. I'd have to look at the quest with my meager qedit skills to see how the attributes were done, but idk how difficult it would be to update the quest or if it should be readded at all. Perhaps the devs removed it so they could just rework it and lump it in to how attributes are added in gallon's shop, much like how TTF used to be the quest you used to trade mag cells for mags but they removed that in later versions too.

Edit: After skimming the quest code, I do not see any text relating to montague speaking about enemy parts, and the only item creations I see are for making grinders and materials (I think I had received a monogrinder when I did quest way back when), and it appears to have differing % chances of which kind of grinder/material based on difficulty level, but I'm unsure if the material one is dummied out or not. However, I do not see any dummied out code related to making an enemy part weapon at all. The one interesting thing I see though is some of the reward text mentions the player wearing a red ring (appears to only show this text in ultimate difficulty from what I can glean from the code).

I didn't put a lot of thought into this, but the idea just crossed my mind. Challenge Mode and S-Rank weapons are supposed to be an integral part end game PSO. That is not the case here because most of the useful S-Ranks besides Zalure/Jellen weapons have been replaced by better items(Kiss of Death, Boomerang, Type weapons, etc) or had their impact lowered due to the OP monster stats present here. Challenge Mode is an amazing part of this game, but if there's no reason to play it most people are deterred from checking it out. How about some kind of buff to S-Ranks so that people actually play CM and use S-Ranks? 

• Like 3

Curious, can you uh... add Shifta or Deband to S-ranks? Yeah, I said that.

The first S-ranks had their special randomly pick from ANY proc in the game, including megid, demon, fire ice or lightning damage... and they could actually Shifta proc, too. Why does that matter?

Battle Mode. Me and a bud used our S-rank weapons to go into  battle mode, which allows you to damage/attack other players. We would go down into forest and keep spamming the special attack from our S-ranks onto each other until we got both Shifta and Deband from S-rank weapons. It was annoying, mind you... cuz 99% of the time you'd finally get Shifta and then either get Jellen to override it, or Hell proc and kill them and have to start over. However, S-rank weapon Shifta proc was like, nearly level 120~. It was absolutely incredible. We would buff each other for 30~ minutes and then go off soloing ruins and mines each, telepiping to each other to open double-switch doors as needed.

Just wanted to toss out that concept as it relates to S-rank weapon application. I'm curious, IS it possible to add SHIFTA to S-rank weapons still? In this version? I'm basing this on Ver.2 DC original S-rank weapons. Just an idea. o3o

8 minutes ago, DiosGX said:

The first S-ranks had their special randomly pick from ANY proc in the game, including megid, demon, fire ice or lightning damage... and they could actually Shifta proc, too. Why does that matter?

Battle Mode. Me and a bud used our S-rank weapons to go into  battle mode, which allows you to damage/attack other players. We would go down into forest and keep spamming the special attack from our S-ranks onto each other until we got both Shifta and Deband from S-rank weapons. It was annoying, mind you... cuz 99% of the time you'd finally get Shifta and then either get Jellen to override it, or Hell proc and kill them and have to start over. However, S-rank weapon Shifta proc was like, nearly level 120~. It was absolutely incredible. We would buff each other for 30~ minutes and then go off soloing ruins and mines each, telepiping to each other to open double-switch doors as needed.

Just wanted to toss out that concept as it relates to S-rank weapon application. I'm curious, IS it possible to add SHIFTA to S-rank weapons still? In this version? I'm basing this on Ver.2 DC original S-rank weapons. Just an idea. o3o

It is not possible here. The Shifta also was not level 120. That'd also be significantly less useful here don't feel like elaborating on this will just assume you can figure out why.

1 hour ago, DiosGX said:

Sounds like a bad idea.  No one plays battle mode, nor do s-ranks work like that in BB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

Sounds like a bad idea.  No one plays battle mode, nor do s-ranks work like that in BB. 

Oh it wasn't to PLAY battle mode. It was to play the regular game with absurd S/D. That's why we had to split up into mines and ruins separately, otherwise we'd just kill each other with our S-rank needle and sword haha. It was a pretty tricksy way to have super-high S/D at like a 4-way PB chain combo with only two players, that's why we did it that way. Since BA mode was the only way to apply S-rank special to other players.

Also, don't take numbers I say too seriously. I just say ostentatious &#$% when I don't know actual numbers, but I know it's a far, far, far cry above what a player would normally be able to achieve through normal means.

Shame to hear how S-rank specials don't work like that anymore. It was a really fun way to cheese the game out and do something unique. Thanks for the informative response though! I really appreciate your honesty and transparency. 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a few ideas that would improve the server several have been suggested in the past by me and others but I feel like bringing them back up lol

1. The ability to add hit to gear using pds and ps through gallons shop.  Even if it was only up to 50hit on an item would be really nice.  maybe 1ps =10hit and 50pds=5hit. cap it at 50 so there is still a need for hit events which cap at 70 and donating to cap at 80.

2. I feel that s rank weapons should be given some kind of buff to make them a little more useful than they currently are.  Due to the increased stats in monsters and some custom items s ranks have become very inferior.  That would also give a lot more people more incentive to run c mode.

3. In the past there have been many mini custom events on this server, that were really amazing for players to upgrade their gear from time to time.  I realize that our gm have lives other than pso such as everyone here and these mini events take a good chunk of time to do. so the idea is to create a new card/item for each event that can be collected to achieve some of these good mini event prizes.

example of what im saying

xmas has nyc so nyc could be x amount to add hit to items

anniversary has mr. nakas which is for s ranks  

so the new items could be a card type item (that does nothing unless redeemed) created for each event tht could be collected and redeemed for a different prize

valentines event could love letters and it could be x amount to add special to item 

Easter could be egg dye and you could collect x amount to make changes to mags

summer could be pool pass and get x amount to add attributes to items 

triforce whatever you would want to call it x amout = whatever

same with Halloween

just some ideas to get some of these awesome mini event prizes back in action without this servers great gms having to sacrifice a weekend putting on an event.

id really love to here some feed back from some people that could possibly make some of these ideas happen @Larva @Soly @Lemon @R-78 @Fyrewolf5

thanks

• Like 5

New weapon idea: Unlocked L&K38 Combat - Psycho Combat.

Made by using L&K38 and a Psycho Black Crystal (or other modifier, take your pick). Would be reskinned in a black/red style.

The idea is to have it locked to two specific classes, the HUcaseal and RAcaseal. Both of these classes tend to come up short when compared to their male counterparts in damage, so this suggestion is aimed at giving them a weapon with greater range to compensate. There's been a lot of suggestion that this would be ridiculously powerful, and has been tested before, but I did some testing of my own.

With zero ATP, a max-atp HUcassy, no Shifta, and 0% attribute, an unlocked L&K38 does about 175 per strong hit. This means 875 per button push, and a full combo does about 2625 damage. For comparison, a HUcast with the same modifiers using a Psycho Raven will do 536 per strong attack, making it 1608 per button push, and 4824 per full combo. 

This was tested on an Arlan in ultimate, and I don't know if/how buffed the mobs are here as opposed to what I used.

I'm also suggesting this because the L&K38 combat is an awesome looking weapon that is criminally underused due to being locked. Additionally, it's a badass weapon that would be great for female characters, as some of their go-to weapons are covered in hearts and/or love connotations, which is a relic of 20 years ago. 

I'm more than happy to help out with balance testing on the server, if needs be.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2