Bridging the Player Gap

McLaughlin86

This server has a division of mainly English, Spanish and Portuguese speaking players. As good as this is, it unintentionally creates a division between players. It's tough to play or trade with each other when you don't understand the other language too well. Of course, google translate exists, but what if these things could be done faster?

This is probably impossible, but it's something I've theoretically thought of. I think real time translation could be possible. The game stores logs of the chat in real time, meaning everything said by any player is accessible at any time. Would it be possible for these logs to be accessed by some add on that then translates in real time using google translate servers or something? The translated text could be in some side window similar to the other add-ons like item reader or monster hp reader. My programming knowledge is extremely limited, so I'd hardly know where to start with something like this. Does someone with better background in the field think this is possible? It would be a great convenience for all players.

Apologies if this is the wrong section. It seemed appropriate.

Edited by McLaughlin86
  • Like 1

I've looked at creating this as a Lua plugin, however google translate API costs money that I don't have... So if you can find a free translation API I'll gladly write this program for you.

• Like 5

While it's true, i think language barrier in online gaming/chatting can be a good thing and shouldn't necessarily solved by full assistance and ease solutions, as it offers the advantage to push people forward learning english individually, which clearly offers an asset and opportunities for intellectual and professional sharing in our modern societies.

Edited by Sylph777
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sylph777 said:

While it's true, i think language barrier in online gaming/chatting can be a good thing and shouldn't necessarily solved by full assistance and ease solutions, as it offers the advantage to push people forward learning english individually, which clearly offers an asset and opportunities for intellectual and professional sharing in our modern societies.

Very fair point. However, it's pretty hard when multiple languages (more than 2 or 3) come into play.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lemon said:

I've looked at creating this as a Lua plugin, however google translate API costs money that I don't have... So if you can find a free translation API I'll gladly write this program for you.

I'll look into it. I'm not positive on how it all works, but I guess I'll send links of potential APIs when I get the chance.

just go to this website and download this amazing new innovative technology

https://www.rosettastone.com

then extract it into your PSOBB Ultima folder and you should be able to understand everything other people are talking about, with no language barrier problems:) 

• Like 3

psch learn spanish its not that difficult, and those that speak other languages such French and other not so common language know some degree of spanish/english. PLUS what if they feel more comfortable speaking in their language and playing with ppl that speak their language? u just want to know what they are saying scrub

Plus we are not factoring the fact ( from my experience) I speak 3 languages (one dead one) English and of course Spanish. And I tell you this, the amount of slang in the Spanish community and improper grammar will not translate well. If you ever used a translating system, if you spell something wrong or whatever it will not translate well. So it is an amazing idea in theory, but most of the times if it’s implemented in the game somehow, some conversations will not make much sense. I’m guessing when it comes to trading yes, would be perfect but if you are trying to have full on conversations with players that speak other languages, those might turn out differently and hard to understand. I’m only speaking for the Spanish portion of the community because I have played with them and we use a lot of slang that would not translate well. I do love the idea though. Always wanted to talk to the frenchies and Portuguese speaking players. I would love to learn French or Portuguese myself but that’s not relevant to this thread.

OK BYEEE

:cr-bad-luck::cr-bad-luck:

• Like 1

Ultima is the only community where it'd really benefit. Ephinea is 90% English and I don't know if scht even has support for lua.

I don't feel like language is much of an issue around here. Sure the Spanish speak Spanish when they're together, and we French speak French when we're together, but if we want to communicate with each other we do it in English. Of course not everyone has a top level but being understood and understanding the other is fairly easy.

Plus quickchat is awesome: MONOMATEwillgatherTOLLAW

• Like 5

One of my main goals as a team leader was to seek and gather french people who couldnt speak english, because they feel lost and lonely as they can't understand anyone (then tend to just leave the server after a couple days) so I get the point of your suggestion...

I've actually been playing on another online game where everything was automatically translated, but most of the time it was harder to understand the translated text than the original one lol

• Like 2

I understand some of the backlash to this idea.  However in my experience, people are very happy when I pull up google translate and try to talk to them in their language.  Being able to do this from in-game might be worth it.

(Plus I like to listen in on people in the lobby, and I can't quite type as fast as some of them >__<)

• Like 4