Dark weapon crafting guides?

applesaucin

I know some of the basic things, i found the combinations page on the forum. Im thinking im gonna make a dm.

But i have a few questions:

Can you use photon spheres or drops at paganini to upgrade the non-hit %s once its a dark weapon still? For some reason i recall someone warning me you can only add %s to dark weapons through dts. Maybe they were just talking about hit. 

Also, is hit essential on a dm even if you capped your ata? Is it just always needed on a dm?

Is there a combination of %s that is particularly useful?

Dm has to be transformed from a shot right? Can you transform from rare shots or just orange boxes?

Thanks to anyone able to help. I tried looking through the help/guides section for a dark weap craft guide but couldnt find any. 

• Like 1

Congratulations on the PGF, to answer a few of your questions:

You can absolutely add to native/a.beast/machine/dark up to 100 before and after it becomes a Dark Meteor.

What amount of hit is essential  kind of depends on who you talk to HAHA, but generally 50 hit is easy to get and will be very effective even with Ultima's raised stats. (just do Episode 4 single player quest The Restless Lion and you will eventually get a 3x50 Arms from one of the npc)

For combination of %s, a lot choose to go with a.beast/dark/hit for a first one, the dark in my opinion is essential for bosses and ruins but you can choose the other stat to your liking.

To find exactly what you need to makes a DM you can check the wiki page near the bottom where it says Combinations, here is a link  https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/wiki/item/&id=009E00

• Like 3

The adding %s to weapons via photon spheres through Paganini in the EP2 quest Gallon's shop is for all weapons EXCEPT S-RANK weapons, this does NOT allow to add hit to those weapons either.

As already well stated by Usagi, Restless Lion is the go-to quest for finding a "perfect" yellow box Arms or Calibur as a Dark Meteor or Dark Flow weapon combination candidate.  Granted, it may take you quite a few runs before you find something with perfect stats, like 50/0/50/0/50, so I hope you enjoy that quest, haha!  I did see someone selling DM and DF, arms and calibur yellow box weapon candidates in the buy & sell forums a while back though, if you don't want to grind for one and got enough PDs or DTs.

Later on when you get plenty of DTs from selling stuff or if you have a fat wallet... (i.e. donating for DTs)

You can get enough DTs to pay to get a GM to add %s and hit to your Dark weapon, to get max stats like 100/0/100/0/80. (80 is the max for hit)

Remember, you can only get a maximum of three stats with any weapon, so choose your stats carefully.

Hope this helps, congo-rats on your PGF and happy DM'ing! :onion-head11:

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 3

I mean no ill will between us @Trigunman but you may be thinking of adding a special like hell/zalure/etc. as an S-RANK weapon can not even have %s added.

Adding %s is for any non S-RANK weapon (+1%-4pds, +5%-20pds, +30%-1ps) through Gallon's shop once the ability to do so is unlocked

• Like 3
  • Dw 1

6 minutes ago, Usagi said:

I mean no ill will between us @Trigunman but you may be thinking of adding a special like hell/zalure/etc. as an S-RANK weapon can not even have %s added.

Adding %s is for any non S-RANK weapon (+1%-4pds, +5%-20pds, +30%-1ps) through Gallon's shop once the ability to do so is unlocked

Ninja edited before you posted... XD

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dw 1

Can you use photon spheres or drops at paganini to upgrade the non-hit %s once its a dark weapon still? For some reason i recall someone warning me you can only add %s to dark weapons through dts. Maybe they were just talking about hit. 

Yes, you can add attribute points on a dark weapon through Paganini.

Also, is hit essential on a dm even if you capped your ata? Is it just always needed on a dm?

It is not essential. Some people have 3 attributes Dark Weapons and they work fine. Having some hit make you miss a lot less, though, especially in Episode 2 where the enemy's Evasion Points are pretty high. It is to the player's discretion.

Native/Dark is useful for Episode 4. A Beast/Dark is good for RT and Max Attack S (ep 1). I don't see the appeal aside from that, though. Machine/Dark (what I use on my DM now) is great for Tower, TTF and Seabed. In my opinion, Dark is too good to pass up on your first Dark Weapon, since most big monsters (Delbiters, Bringers, final bosses, etc) are that attribute. Whichever attribute you take as second is based on what you're using it for and personal preference.

Dm has to be transformed from a shot right? Can you transform from rare shots or just orange boxes?

You can only use normal white or green (sometimes yellow if it's an Arms with a good special) shots (Shots, Spread, Cannons, Launchers and Arms) to make your Dark Meteor, so yeah, basically orange boxes. You cannot, for example, take a Final Impact to make a Dark Meteor. Make sure your shot is fully grinded and you have the required level and ATA to transform it. As already mentioned, the best way to get a good shot with 50 in 2 attributes (guaranteed) and 50h (not guaranteed) is through the quest The Restless Lion, on a Racaseal NPC. However, the chances of finding one with 50h is low, so I suggest just buying one from somebody.

The requirements to combine for Dark Meteor are written here: https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/wiki/item/&id=009E00. You also need 200 ATA on your Ranger, including Slots and Mag, but not Inherited Armor and Shield bonuses.

Edited by bobshlibidich
  • Like 2
  • Dw 1

Thank you all so much. Tbh i recommend you repost this last response in the help/guide as "q&a about dark weapons" i feel this would be a very helpful post for anyone new to dw's

12 hours ago, bobshlibidich said:

Yes, you can add attribute points on a dark weapon through Paganini.

It is not essential. Some people have 3 attributes Dark Weapons and they work fine. Having some hit make you miss a lot less, though, especially in Episode 2 where the enemy's Evasion Points are pretty high. It is to the player's discretion.

Native/Dark is useful for Episode 4. A Beast/Dark is good for RT and Max Attack S (ep 1). I don't see the appeal aside from that, though. Machine/Dark (what I use on my DM now) is great for Tower, TTF and Seabed. In my opinion, Dark is too good to pass up on your first Dark Weapon, since most big monsters (Delbiters, Bringers, final bosses, etc) are that attribute. Whichever attribute you take as second is based on what you're using it for and personal preference.

You can only use normal white or green (sometimes yellow if it's an Arms with a good special) shots (Shots, Spread, Cannons, Launchers and Arms) to make your Dark Meteor, so yeah, basically orange boxes. You cannot, for example, take a Final Impact to make a Dark Meteor. Make sure your shot is fully grinded and you have the required level and ATA to transform it. As already mentioned, the best way to get a good shot with 50 in 2 attributes (guaranteed) and 50h (not guaranteed) is through the quest The Restless Lion, on a Racaseal NPC. However, the chances of finding one with 50h is low, so I suggest just buying one from somebody.

The requirements to combine for Dark Meteor are written here: https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/wiki/item/&id=009E00. You also need 200 ATA on your Ranger, including Slots and Mag, but not Inherited Armor and Shield bonuses.

17 hours ago, bobshlibidich said:

Hit IS highly recommended/essential  even at maxed ata. No ones going to play ep 1 forever and anywhere beyond ep 1 you will need more ata for your weapons. Triple attribute dark weapons are no good beyond ep 1 . 

Edited by Stark 1
  • Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 12:44 PM, Stark 1 said:

Hit IS highly recommended/essential  even at maxed ata. No ones going to play ep 1 forever and anywhere beyond ep 1 you will need more ata for your weapons. Triple attribute dark weapons are no good beyond ep 1 . 

I'll assume we're talking about Dark Meteor and Dark Flow as you and I may agree that Dark Bridge and Psycho Bridge have niche uses for hit. First, I'll start with Episode 4. Here are the EVPs of monsters in Ruins compared to the ones in Desert and Dorphons:

Spoiler

Claw 680
Delsaber 970
Arlan 712
Merlan 735
Deld 758
Belra 584
Bulclaw 584
Bringers 767
Sorcerer 671

Goran 716
Detonators 825
Satellite Lizards 768
Yowie 878 
Pyro Goran 728
Pazuzu 715
Zu 681
Girtablulu 580
Merissa A 636
Merissa AA 668
Sand rappy 681
Del rappy 978 lol
Dorphon 721
Dorphon Éclair 793

(I got those stats from the monster reader, so I'll assume they're correct.) As you can see, except for Del Rappy, which can be removed by hitting it once at a relatively medium range, they're pretty similar. So if they're fine in Ep1, I don't know why they wouldn't be in Ep4. Not only that, but since there are no machines in Episode 4, you could theoretically be able to hit all the monsters at near twice the damage of a blank Dark Weapon without the need to switch weapons. 

Now for Ep2. I'm aware that enemies in that episode have high EVP, but does that make a Dark Weapon with 3 attributes ''no good''? Not necessarily. Sure, you're not going to be able to spam Heavy-Heavy-Heavy (it seems to be the mindset of some that if you can't do that or 3xSpecial and hit everything, your weapon is trash. I never particularly agreed with this philosophy), but the DM still has huge range and its special still attacks anything in the laser's vertical range while DF still hits for huge damage, with or without its special, even if it misses some of its attacks. Temple has the same attributes with slightly higher EVP than Ep4 and except for Baranz, Spaceship's enemies fall pretty quickly with 2-3 combos of Simple-Simple/Heavy-Heavy, while 4 types of monsters with different attributes can spawn at the same time, so doing bonus damage on 3 out of 4 of them simultaneously is a pretty good deal. The place where it's less than stellar is obviously in CCA and Tower where minibosses are immune to attributes anyway while Gibbons and Ill Gills have huge EVP, but Dark Flow will still do good damage while Dark Meteor will still stay good for crowd control even if you spam Simple Attacks instead of Heavys, especially against Meris. 

Now am I saying that Dark Weapon without hit is always better than with? Absolutely not. But can one with triple attributes be equally or more useful than one with 2 attributes and some hit in certain circumstances? Yes, I believe so, especially for Ep 4 where monsters' EVP is low enough to do consistent damage and some parts of Ep2 where more than 2 attributes are present at the same time, but again, and I cannot stress this enough: It is to the player's discretion to decide if they want to go the triple attributes' route or 2 attributes with hit. Both have their merits and they should be properly looked at before making a decision.

That is my analysis on this subject, but I'd also like to post something @R-78wrote on triple attributes DMs (this is translated from French, so sorry that it's not 100% accurately her words):  

''[It's commonly believed that] Iron Faust and Psycho Ravens don't necessarily need hit while they have less ATA than a DM, it's also more sensible to cover three attributes when one doesn't foresee getting a DM set.'' 

''I never said that hit was useless on a DM (or nobody would bother adding some, evidently). You can always find cases where ''having hit is more useful'', I could say the same about no hit PRs not being practical against Gibbons and Ill Gill. I'm simply saying that having three attributes on a DM has its use, especially if you want to save [...] 100+ hours of hunt just for an additional attribute.''

''To sacrifice a bit of precision to inflict almost twice the damage to 1/4 of enemies is a choice that can be made. Of course, it's regrettable to not benefit from the 50x3 that provides Restless Lion, but from another standpoint, you don't necessarily play with the optimism to find several PGFs [in one event]'' 

This was my TED talk, thank you for reading until now. Special thanks to @JupiterDeMarsto help gathering data, @Solyfor the always useful item reader mod and @R-78for permission to use her thoughts on the matter.

Edited by bobshlibidich
  • Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 1/22/2020 at 1:46 AM, Trigunman said:

The adding %s to weapons via photon spheres through Paganini in the EP2 quest Gallon's shop is for all weapons EXCEPT S-RANK weapons, this does NOT allow to add hit to those weapons either.

But why excepting the S-rank weapons? 

48 minutes ago, Ghati said:

But why excepting the S-rank weapons? 

S-rank weapons data for adding % is used for assigning a name to , no room for the extra data . But S-Ranks do have extra stats  example Needle +10atp +40 ata .