Ugh, this might be the end for awhile

ZenReborn

Well, isn't this JUST LOVELY. JUST come back and this happens.

My entire OS (almost anyway) just got crypto locked by a malware that encrypts all files it comes in contact with. It also leaves 3 files behind in all folders, README.bmp, README.html and README.txt.

I cannot open anything in my PC apart from my browser (ironically enough). So, I'm going to nuke my HDD and install Windows 10 on it. Thank f### I have a big USB to be able to have a way to install back on to my hard drive.

I'm seriously pissed and salty as shit right now...

I'll NEVER, EVER, EEEEEVER!!!! use Google Chrome again because it's the reason this happened at all.

25 minutes ago, ZenReborn said:

My entire OS (almost anyway) just got crypto locked by a malware that encrypts all files it comes in contact with. It also leaves 3 files behind in all folders, README.bmp, README.html and README.txt.

I cannot open anything in my PC apart from my browser (ironically enough). So, I'm going to nuke my HDD and install Windows 10 on it. Thank f### I have a big USB to be able to have a way to install back on to my hard drive.

I'll NEVER, EVER, EEEEEVER!!!! use Google Chrome again because it's the reason this happened at all.

Ransom-ware?
This might help https://noransom.kaspersky.com/ ??
I recall some page regarding to this but I don't remember exactly which one was it.

I doubt google chrome would have anything to do with it (first hand, in that case you could ask them for help, sue them or something?)
Anyway, I'd go for some careless use of the browser., but that's none of my business.

Edited by Soly

Google Chrome is clearly not the issue, unless you installed a hacked version which contains bad softwares.

Also upgrading to windows 10 is not either the solution. Better try to figure what really happened and fix it.

Have you a backup or restauration system disk ? Depending on the situation, I would put all my data on a external hard drive (if your system still allow you to do that, that is...) and restaure the entire system back to time 0.

Are you able to download anything ? Install anything new ? (if so, try adwcleaner, malwarebyte anti-malware) Have you tried to restart your computer in safe mode ?

Here is a tutorial how to get rid of it with pics and videos and also how to restore all or as many as possible of ur own files

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-microsoft-decryptor-virus/

• Like 1

Yea usually trying to download something sketchy(i.e. pirated music, games, pr0nz, etc) can cause that kind of thing to happen. Always download games/music/w.e. from a trusted source, if not the original source. 

Actually this kind of thing can also occur by following an email link. Of course not any email, it's kinda like the phishing method : you receive an email from a "hacker" who impersonate a big company (usually a shipping company), the email imitate in every point the usual emails send by the said company. And at the moment you follow the link, you're doomed. Then they ask you to pay with bitcoin in order to restaure your encrypted files. Usually it's around 10-20 $. What a shame =/

Anyway, Shiva got the right solution, follow the steps carefully and it should be over.

hope you can fix your computer :/ dem.. 

never caught any kind of virus but i barely use the internet besides youtube and the forum here D: hope you can recover some of the files with those links

well u can try a bootable usb antivirus they work better than the antivirus that run under windows, but at the end the antivirus suck. If u have anothe pc install linux and clean ur windows hdd on it the best way to clean windows.

I nuked the partitions and formatted the entire hard drive and just installed Windows 10. All is well, I'll work on installing the game and other stuff later 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ZenReborn said:

man that seriously sucks :( But I hope you at least get everything up and running again. Your PSO family awaits for you back in the game :)

• Like 2

This can be closed.

I got Windows 10 on my PC and the game running beautifully, thanks for the well wishes guys xD

I'll definitely be more careful from now on.

• Like 2