Why am I so bad?

1 hour ago, CannaBeast said:

This causes DMC, please dont use weak attacks when grouped with other players

What does that mean? Is this another annoying bug?

1 hour ago, jespence said:

What does that mean? Is this another annoying bug?

DMC is short for "damage cancel". It happens on all version of PSO to some degree all the way back to the GameCube version (I am not familiar enough with Dreamcast V1 / V2 to talk about those versions) and is related to the way the server receives incoming damage packets from the client(s). While not a bug, there's varying degrees of intensity of DMC among the existing servers. I personally use GameCube as a metric for what it's supposed to feel like. However Ultima has the worst DMC of all the servers I have played on to the point where you could call it a bug. It's completely nullified on Ultima when more than one person attacks the same enemy and it's beyond annoying.

Pretty much every combat action can cause DMC on Ultima. Normal, hard, and special attacks, traps, techs including Zalure / Jellen. There's solutions for this that for one reason or another haven't been implemented on Ultima. There will always be some limitations when it comes to a "DMC patch" (as it's called on Unseen / Ephinea) such as two players starting a Charge Vulcan combo at nearly the exact same time. Some amount of damage in that situation will be cancelled on those servers, but not whole combos like here. I can't speak too much for the Ephinea DMC patch, but it's probably nearly as good as the Unseen patch that doesn't have damage cancel on traps, techs (including Jellen / Zalure), and instead of actually canceling attacks that are done at the exact same time it just accepts the higher damage numbers and cancels who ever is weaker, but if the attacks are staggered at pretty much any time interval it will accept both damage sources. This is a little more robust than the way GameCube works, but GameCube pretty much just has restrictions of waiting the slightest bit of time between these actions to avoid cancelling damage. However, it's a lot easier to "wait" that time there because characters move slower (walk before run) as well as attack slower (25% attack speed boost only)

Edited by Saber +7
  • Like 1

Since posting last, I've met some really great people in game who have been kind enough to donate a few items to me and, more importantly, spend some time answering some more of my ignorant questions. I never appreciated how in-depth this game truly is. I finally feel as if I have some of the tools needed to progress effectively, and I don't just mean the guns. The external resources and game add-ons will definitely improve my playing experience. So thank you all, again, for your comments. Special thanks to Kushito who really helped me out today.

My in-game name is topwing too. See you all soon!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the most important thing is make friends, u get invited to games which will help u get geared, especially now that an event is on is the time u want to farm :D

3 hours ago, topwing said:

Since posting last, I've met some really great people in game who have been kind enough to donate a few items to me and, more importantly, spend some time answering some more of my ignorant questions. I never appreciated how in-depth this game truly is. I finally feel as if I have some of the tools needed to progress effectively, and I don't just mean the guns. The external resources and game add-ons will definitely improve my playing experience. So thank you all, again, for your comments. Special thanks to Kushito who really helped me out today.

My in-game name is topwing too. See you all soon!

I'm Kushito IG, glad you liked my advices and the free weapons :3

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Saber +7 said:

DMC is short for "damage cancel". It happens on all version of PSO to some degree all the way back to the GameCube version (I am not familiar enough with Dreamcast V1 / V2 to talk about those versions) and is related to the way the server receives incoming damage packets from the client(s). While not a bug, there's varying degrees of intensity of DMC among the existing servers. I personally use GameCube as a metric for what it's supposed to feel like. However Ultima has the worst DMC of all the servers I have played on to the point where you could call it a bug. It's completely nullified on Ultima when more than one person attacks the same enemy and it's beyond annoying.

Pretty much every combat action can cause DMC on Ultima. Normal, hard, and special attacks, traps, techs including Zalure / Jellen. There's solutions for this that for one reason or another haven't been implemented on Ultima. There will always be some limitations when it comes to a "DMC patch" (as it's called on Unseen / Ephinea) such as two players starting a Charge Vulcan combo at nearly the exact same time. Some amount of damage in that situation will be cancelled on those servers, but not whole combos like here. I can't speak too much for the Ephinea DMC patch, but it's probably nearly as good as the Unseen patch that doesn't have damage cancel on traps, techs (including Jellen / Zalure), and instead of actually canceling attacks that are done at the exact same time it just accepts the higher damage numbers and cancels who ever is weaker, but if the attacks are staggered at pretty much any time interval it will accept both damage sources. This is a little more robust than the way GameCube works, but GameCube pretty much just has restrictions of waiting the slightest bit of time between these actions to avoid cancelling damage. However, it's a lot easier to "wait" that time there because characters move slower (walk before run) as well as attack slower (25% attack speed boost only)

I've attacked an enemy down to 25% and then someone else attacks the enemy and it jumps back up to like 70%, and I was never quite sure what to do about that

On 6/25/2021 at 1:01 PM, CannaBeast said:

On 6/25/2021 at 1:01 PM, CannaBeast said:

What's DMC is it when monsters are different for each player because I've always used heaven battle with weakest needle attack to manage monsters I have a arrest needle

6 minutes ago, goldhollow said:

What's DMC is it when monsters are different for each player because I've always used heaven battle with weakest needle attack to manage monsters I have a arrest needle

Damage Cancel, if u watch the enemies hp sometimes u will see them "heal" which means an attack was cancelled out by a weaker one making it look like they healed, happens with a lot of techs and weps

6 minutes ago, goldhollow said:

Basically your damage will count and not mine, your 100 damage will cancel my 1500 damage. The best thing you can do as a new player is only freeze/sieze with your frozen shooter or arrest needle, and dont shoot extra if they are already frozen etc, or just use zalure

I never had this much trouble with DMC on Diablo 2(actually any at all), even with 8 players attacking the same enemy.  It makes me think it just comes down to a programming issue

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jespence said:

I never had this much trouble with DMC on Diablo 2(actually any at all), even with 8 players attacking the same enemy.  It makes me think it just comes down to a programming issue

I wouldn’t even bother comparing the two games in this way. Damage cancel  is an intended “feature” to a degree. It’s just a little fucked up on Ultima. 

1 hour ago, CannaBeast said:

Basically your damage will count and not mine, your 100 damage will cancel my 1500 damage. The best thing you can do as a new player is only freeze/sieze with your frozen shooter or arrest needle, and dont shoot extra if they are already frozen etc, or just use zalure

Is that something newer on the server I started playing in 2010 and I took years off from ultima that is so annoying makes me want to rethink playing here

I used to notice that during certain moments monsters would be in different places for your teammates