Ultimate Difficulty... too difficult for newcomers?

Luis Torres

Me and a bunch of friends started playing on this server, only to find that ultimate difficulty is buffed.

We are levels ~100ish

We understand that most people on this server have been playing for a long time, but this feels terrible for us newcomers to the server.

Coming from farming very hard we dont have the equipment we need to survive the buffed monsters, the weapons we get from very hard are not enough to withstand the difficulty. Or they are, but everything takes SO LONG to die.

and if we want better equips to survive, we need to farm ultimate. Or get someone to help us, which destroys the purpose of playing with my friends.

are there any weapons recommended to get thru this buffed ultimate?

PLEASE, tell me the recommended weapons are not gotten from ultimate....

if that is the case I guess me and my friends will have to leave the server, as this would make it a pay to win server.

Honestly, anything that's not store-bought equipment can get you by on Ultimate. Even on the original PSO on Dreamcast, store-bought equipment won't cut it on Ultimate. And that's where the Catch-22 is: you need good equipment to survive on Ultimate, but Ultimate drops the good equipment. In my experience, many players are willing to donate some low-end rares to tide you over until you can find the good stuff. I received some hand-me-downs to get me started on Ultimate, and now I do the same for newcomers. You need rares to get rares, but luckily Ultima's community is notoriously generous (trust me, I've gotten multiple comments from newcomers about how NICE we are. They're right :D).

I'm not an expert on equipment, but I know some Standard Player Gear is Frozen Shooters for rangers, units like God/Power or Heavenly/Battle, etc etc. You may wanna ask around, but Ultima is a place where you can kind of expect someone to take pity on you and throw you a cheap goodie. (You may not wanna directly ask them, though... it might sound rude to beg.)

Edited by Dracozombie
  • Like 1

PLEASE, tell me the recommended weapons are not gotten from ultimate....

if that is the case I guess me and my friends will have to leave the server, as this would make it a pay to win server.

That doesn't make the server pay to win... in fact i have not donated even once... but depends on how you see it...

You can do trades and when you have enough trade for higher level/value stuff, get a party and grind in ultimate...

Is true that ultimate is pretty hard for people without much gear but is not impossible.

Half of the problem isn't going to be your weapons. You are also still fairly low level, 100 is just entering ultimate. remember that ultimate is for scaling all the way up to 200, and that's quite a lot more than the lower difficulties, grinding out some levels will help your atp get up to a more damaging amount. Also be sure not to neglect your mag, it is easy for it to fall behind with the boosted experience on this server. Getting your mag up to a nice high level, say 100+ pow, will help your damage out a lot as well. Even if you had the best of the best gear, you would still need to grind out a few levels. Just because you can enter the first areas of ep 1 and 2, doesn't mean you are necessarily ready to fully complete those areas. If you think of it more like area 1 from levels 100-120, area 2 from 120-140, area 3 from 140-160, area 4 from 160-180, then you might realize that you are still going to feel weak in ultimate without some more levels. Experience is temporarily boosted to x5 right now, so it should be easier to gain a few levels, especially off of rare monsters which are also temporarily boosted appearence rate right now.

As for weapons, while most of the top tier gear does drop in ultimate, there is a lot of mid tier gear you can still get in very hard, and those can help you out while you grind up some levels for more atp and work towards better things. Picking up some things like a dragon slayer, goboomas / gigobooma's claw, flamberge, opheilie seize, diska of braveman, justy 23ST, stag cutlery, lk14, ma60vise, rappy's wing / rappy's fan, delsaber's buster + delsaber's shield (actually very powerful combined), inferno bazooka (i hate it but it has high atp for a gun), angry fist, victor axe, vivienne can drop on vhard (very strong top tier doublesaber) are all things that can help you do at least some damage in ultimate. Very hard ep 4 can also drop heavenly units for you to put into your armors, which can help out as well.

Also it is possible to get photon crystals from normal ep 4 rare enemies, which can be wagered in the one player quest Black Paper's Deal 1 and 2 in ep 4 to win blank rares. It is possible to get things like a cannon rouge or nug bazooka from hard rappy route, or a red sword from hard dorphon route, or master raven and last swan from bpd2 normal, and while it is a one player quest that you can't do with your friends, the monsters are easier in one player mode than in multiplayer mode and some of the prizes are very strong. Red sword is the strongest sword that isn't tjs or df, and cannon rouge is extremely strong gun, probably strongest that isn't dark meteor or heaven striker. There are some easy to get weapons in ultimate that y'all may be able to farm as well, such as a demolition comet from rare slimes and lilies 1/2 drop on a few ids.

I hope that list gives you some hope that there are enough ways to get some weapons that will do stuff in ultimate

Edited by Fyrewolf5
  • Like 6

The difficulty curve for ultimate is steep at first, but once you gain a couple more levels and have some better gear it becomes a walk in the park. Just grind up a few levels and you will notice how quickly Ultimate becomes perfectly doable without the need of any top tier weapon.

Edited by chuk
  • Like 2

Peoples are whiling to trade stuffs for materials and black paper deal items too, think about it as your first adventure quest, you'll be fighting for your own gear with your own effort.

If you have friends you can always take the risk to do some ultimate ep 1 hunts, after a while they become very easy to do. (frozen shooter, heaven punisher, syncesta are easy to get on forestoffensive/warth of forest and are good to sell, if you have a ranger you might consider adding one frozen shooter to your equipment since those are strong).

Take chance to lv with the exp boost and chase after event items that's where your first source of easy pd should be, easter eggs drops some specific items, even normal/hard easter eggs have some good things inside worth trying to sell for cheap. Godric's coat is another wanted item(very hard hunt -ep1), i'm sure you can sell it for cheap too.

As it was said before ultima is friendly, if somebody nice see's you struggling they will set you with some gear, just don't chase them begging xD

Last and most important, keep feeding your mag, i know it takes a lot of time/effort but it's a great power boost and it's needed. There's guides in pso-world that can help you make some.

Saith I really wish I had known those tips when I first started out. It'd have saved me some trouble early on so I wouldn't have had to hover around V. Hard and occasionally dipping my toe in Ultimate and going ehhhh too cold *hides* until someone gave me a Frozen Shooter.

There really should be some kind of "PSO, Ultimate Mode, and You" guide around here for newbs just starting to get whomped by Bartles.

• Like 1

Cyana said a lot of good things.

As i'm new on this serv too, i can add my point of view.

I come from a serv where :

1- there's no events

2-there's no xp boost

3-rare monsters are very rare

4-trading items are for very very rich people

5-not as many quest rewards.

Here you have many things you can hunt, even if cyane said a lot, you can go for soul eater, or other quests rewards.

But more, you can go, in ultimate,( and it's even more true for you who play with friends) , for restless lion, solo quest in episode 4.

There there's hunter to kill, and they drop their weapons, they all have 2stats at 50%, and they can have 0/30 or even 50% hit. so they are great weapons.

Try to hunt some spirit/berserk/charge/demons/arrest weapons with hit, and you could even trade your hunts with your friends to go faster.

And then, you should be more relax for ultimate multi mode. Even if it won't be as fast as old players ;)

Yes I'm new to the server and have horrible gear to start playing Ultimate mode so I'm just trying my best to hunt Power material but I do need some weapon and shield to start out with

I got a few questions:

-should I apply grinders I got on wepons I got (YAMATO, DRAGON SLAYER), or to wait for top-tier gear?

- what is that currency used in trading (everyone on forums uses a shortcut 'pd' and as far as I am concerned it's Photon Drop)?

- best items to feed mag for 1 stat at a time?

- worst levels, when progress is going to slow down? (as far i have seen lv 60-90 bad and would like to know when is that bad when you have Ultimate)

(If I have any gramatical errors then sorry, English isn't my native language [and i can't speak nor write in spanish])

All you gotta do is make sure your mag is lvl 200 with decent stats get a v101 and your set even sup par rares your set but I'd you wanna get extra kinky cent ability bpd2 hard 2 of those with the above requirements is a good foot into doing damage in ult

You can have a dm on ultimate but if you don't have units your still bonned with that being

Man how this server has progressed who remebers back when we still needed teams of 4 for missions like max attack and claries deal and rt now we're soloing them no problem miss the good old days someone play Crack mode with me!!

I got a few questions:

-should I apply grinders I got on wepons I got (YAMATO, DRAGON SLAYER), or to wait for top-tier gear?

- what is that currency used in trading (everyone on forums uses a shortcut 'pd' and as far as I am concerned it's Photon Drop)?

- best items to feed mag for 1 stat at a time?

- worst levels, when progress is going to slow down? (as far i have seen lv 60-90 bad and would like to know when is that bad when you have Ultimate)

(If I have any gramatical errors then sorry, English isn't my native language [and i can't speak nor write in spanish])

Grinders are really common, if you save them too much you'll end up with tons and tons of them, you should probably use at least some of them on your weapons, and keep maybe a handful around for when you do get better weapons.

Photon drops are the main currency for trading, and what almost all other things are measured against. People will do trades of items for items or donation tickets for items, but pd is used to at least establish some relative value so someone can for example trade 15-20 materials (3-4 pds worth without rare monsters on) for a smartlink (2-5 pds worth).

lvl 5-9 mags will eat Monomate (pow), Monofluid (mind), Antidote(dex/pow), and Antiparalysis(dex/mind).

lvl 10-35 mags eat Antidote(dex/pow), Antiparalysis(dex/mind), and Monofluid(mind/def).

lvl 35-50 mags (ranger raised to level 10) eat antiparalysis (lots of Dex), Monomate (very very very very little pow), Monofluid (very very very very little mind).

lvl 35-50 mags (hunter or force raised to level 10) eat Sol Atomizer(pow/dex), Antidote(dex/pow), Antiparalysis(dex/mind), Monfluid(mind).

lvl 35-50 mags (hunter pure mind/def mag) eat Difluid(mind).

lvl 50+ (Ila, Garuda, Sita, Soma, Durga, Nandin, Yaksa, Ribhava) eat Dimate(pow), Difluid(mind), Antiparalysis(dex), Moon Atomizer(mind/dex).

lvl 50+ (Asparas, Vayu, Varaha, Ushasu, Kama, Kaitabha, Kumara, Bhirava) eat Dimate(pow), Difluid(mind), Antidote(dex), Moon Atomizer(mind/dex).

lvl 50+ (Andhaka, Kabanda, Naga, Naraka, Bana, Marica, Madhu, Ravana) eat Dimate(pow), Difluid(mind), Antidote(dex/pow), Antiparalysis(dex/mind), Moon Atomizer (pow/dex).

feeding chart: http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1021

feeding chart for ep 2 formula mags: http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1031

Slowest levels might be 90-100 (ep1 ult needs level 90, but ep2 ult needs level 100), and 175-200(around half of all exp needed to 200).