What does your city look like?

El Socko

On most forums, you'll have topics like "Post your desktop" or "How did you come up with your name", but people rarely shed some light on their city, or village or whatever kind of place they live in. Personally, I've always been interested in learning about different places in the world, and thanks to Google Street View I can explore tiny villages or huge cities I'll most likely never visit in my life. A pastime I sometimes indulge in is to drag that little orange man on Google Maps into a random location anywhere on the planet and see where I end up.

What we tend to forget is that behind the characters we see in PSO lobbies or game rooms, there are real people from all over the world. Personally I've always been intrigued by this and have been wondering in what kind of place my PSO friends live. So, feel free to post some pictures of the city you're living in - pics you've taken yourself, please. Some additional comments wouldn't be bad either.

After spending the whole Saturday hunting for that elusive Olga Flow drop, I was longing for some fresh air this Sunday morning, and as it for once lived up to its name and was quite sunny indeed, I took a walk for an hour or two.

I took a picture of the nearby river which is only a 5 minutes walk from my home. I live in Cologne, Germany, by the way, and this river, the Rhine, flows right through the middle of the city.
Just below the bridge and slightly to the left of the center, you can see a church-like building with two pointy towers - that's the Cologne cathedral. It is nearly 500 feet high and in fact Germany's most visited landmark and also a world heritage site.

015asoa.jpg

Since I'm a sucker for night shots, here's one that was taken from the bridge you can see in the first photo, facing the same direction towards the inner city or what you'd call "downtown". You can see the illuminated cathedral just right of the tree. The bright strip of light next to it is another of the Rhine bridges.

027ns05.jpg

Last but not least, an aerial view of a part of the city (not the downtown area), taken from a lookout tower. This is what some (but not all) of the larger German cities typical look like: not too many historical buildings since most of them were destroyed during the numerous air raids that took place in World War II.

03f4s0q.jpg

Well, not the greatest photos I'm afraid as I'm not using any professional equipment but it'll do. Now show us yours, pretty please? :onion-head67:

• Like 1

Ryde-from-air.gifisleofwightferriesmap.jpg

the first picture is my town called Ryde :3 and the 2nd one is the island i live on called the Isle of Wight we are pretty tiny x3 if you really wanted to you can take part in a event where you walk around whole the edge of the island takes all day but people do it :3 we are mostly farm land and seaside :3 and we dont have any big city like everyone else x3

Heh, I thought cyane lives in a tiny village cos she said middle of nowhere ... but man, that highway on legs really cuts into the landscape. And damn IKEA, it's everywhere.

Dashie, it looks like a nice place. I'm pretty sure I've dragged the little Google Maps man into your island once, as I often "explore" the UK. That's because I have a bit of a soft spot for the UK since my first ever computer was a Sinclair ... I used to buy british magazines too.

Of course I couldn't help but check Ryde in Street View. Fairly nice buildings from the little I've seen, the steep roads remind me of San Francisco. I hope you don't have a chav problem there, as the UK seems to be infested by them. But that's probably more "up north".

I love it I love this I love it <3

I would love to visit Germany one day! It looks super beautiful and interesting! Can't wait to try your food :3

Well, I live in an island in the Caribbean called Puerto Rico, in the city of Luquillo. Here is the location on a map so you get an idea:

http://imgur.com/yKvbolI

This is an aerial shot of the part of the city in which I live. It is not a metropolitan city, so you won't see much buildings. You can actually see my house in this picture XD

http://imgur.com/mFV6BjY

The center of the city at night:

http://imgur.com/aUgB4MO

Our main attraction are the beaches. Here is a shot from the beach to the National Rain Forest El Yunque:

http://imgur.com/pT9gk1C

And more beach :)

http://imgur.com/61JLMkg

http://imgur.com/YsllPZm

And finally a sunset shot, taken by myself. Hope you liked it! :3

http://imgur.com/365h8fZ

OMG Cy! All that grass I am in LOVE! Dat Bridge :o I would love to live in a place just like that, and even better if its Portugal. Been there, love it and love the people <3

Dashie! That is so cool to live in an island that size! I live in an island too, but to travel across all the coast by foot would take like a week. And Wight sound so cool :3 Love it <3

Edited by radezz
  • Like 3

Heh, I thought cyane lives in a tiny village cos she said middle of nowhere ... but man, that highway on legs really cuts into the landscape. And damn IKEA, it's everywhere.

Dashie, it looks like a nice place. I'm pretty sure I've dragged the little Google Maps man into your island once, as I often "explore" the UK. That's because I have a bit of a soft spot for the UK since my first ever computer was a Sinclair ... I used to buy british magazines too.

Of course I couldn't help but check Ryde in Street View. Fairly nice buildings from the little I've seen, the steep roads remind me of San Francisco. I hope you don't have a chav problem there, as the UK seems to be infested by them. But that's probably more "up north".

it's not ikea but there's one near too xD

it's a shopping themed with moon and sun designs xD

Dashie is grass buddy! But has a beach D: all around!

Edited by cyane

there is a tiny bit but thats in one small area of my town and thats only at nighttime :3 and well my town is a bit but we r a seaside town if u want hills look at a town called Ventnor...that town is just on the side of cliff basically XD there is no flat road x3 your going up or down hills at all time x3

it's not ikea but there's one near too xD

it's a shopping themed with moon and sun designs xD

Dashie si grass buddy! But has a beach D: all around!

go more in land or to the west side of the island and u have grass everywhere and farm land :3 but also beach x3

This should have tags of oddly satisfying.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes to know about the other people we play with. (I'm not a creep :wacko:)

I could take some but in the meantime some wikipedia ones and stuff.

What I can say from where I live, for those not aware is Costa Rica and I live in a small district (IpĆ­s) near what supposedly is the center of the country gg.

Here is a church not in my district but you can see it from where I live (might get my own shot later)

TemploParroquialdeSanIsidroCoronado.JPG

There is some industrial building to the other side of the street in front of my neighborhood, but sadly all the pictures that I can get are of 2 people that were killed on the street :wacko:

Edited by Soly

Thanks for the replies, I forgot to get back to the topic.

Cyane, the IKEA I was referring to ... well look at your second picture, you can only see the first two letters "IK" from the logo on the right side of the pic. A nasty, huge tax-evading company behind all that greenwashed, nice and family-friendly image ... I just can't stand companies like that, I make it a point to not go shopping there.

Anyway, let's get back on topic ...

radezz - great detailed post, thanks a lot. First off, Germany may look nice and clean and all that crap, but it definitely isn't paradise. People think we're all so well-off and affluent but that's only one side of the picture. I guess that shouldn't matter to a tourist though.

Absolutely love the pictures you posted, that's what's so interesting about online games like these, people from all kinds of places, I mean I know Puerto Rico is in the Carribean but ofc I've never met a person from there. I certainly envy you for the great beaches you have near your home. And the sunset looks awesome, you won't get anything like that in a big dirty city for sure.

By the way, bonus points for posting your own photos, and actual landscape photos to boot. I get the impression that while more people these days have cameras than ever before in history thanks to cellphones featuring them, all they do with them is taking stupid selfies or pictures of their latest dish for Instagram, or some other stupid thing to post on Tumblr or whatever. Rant over.

Soly ... I'm honoured, another GM responded.

Shame there is no Street View in your country but at least there are some Photo Spheres (yes, not Photon Spheres) so I could get an impression of what the place looks like. Seems there are not many high buildings - that Iglesia San Isidro de Coronado certainly towers over all the buildings, I guess you can see it from many miles away.