Technology Words

Lemon

I have a friend that is writing their thesis on the evolution of the English language due to technology.  I was wondering anyone would be willing to help out by posting some words that came from technology and an example of their usage (as I won't know some of them).

Example:

Text (v) - I'll just text them.

Google (v) - Let me google that for you.

Type (v) - He typed a paper on the typewriter/computer.

Somewhat shitposting/somewhat not, but...

Meme(N) - That was a funny meme, haha! (:

or

Meme(v) - I thought he was serious, but found out he was just memeing.

Edited by mudkipzjm

1.Snap(v) snap me real quick; send me a snap please (snapchat)

2.The phrase LoL was practically born from the internet.

3.Screenshots (N): Send screenshots so I can verify your mag was stolen.

4.Inbox (V): Inbox me the answers to tomorrow's quiz

5. Tweet (V): omg i have to tweet this to my mom. (twitter)

6. Every gaming insult known to man, but most importantly, Noob (adj): omg did he just heal me when im trying to use df? What a Noob.

Native Chicagoian i've seen 1-5. 6 i've seen in the gaming world often lol

1 hour ago, Crucial said:

6. Every gaming insult known to man, but most importantly, Noob (adj): omg did he just heal me when im trying to use df? What a Noob.

The word "Noob" technically wasn't derived from technology, just that spelling was. It's just a shortened version of the word Newbie, which has been around for a loooong time. Just someone who is new, inexperienced, etc. 

There's also Gamer, which didn't come around until Video Games started to exist. Don't think it needs an example sentence, but I'll make one for the fun of it. 

"Hi, am gamer grill xd, plz give me free stuff :P"

4 hours ago, Crucial said:

2.The phrase LoL was practically born from the internet.

Capitalization is quite important. When someone writes it like that, to me it means League of Legends. Laughing out loud is either lol or LOL.

Also, what has been posted so far only encompasses recent terminology. Your friend should bring some examples of older words from the 70s to 90s, even though they are somewhat archaic nowadays.

Some older words also get new definitions in regards to technology. Bug (insect) and hack (chop/cut) are certainly not new words, but they have a new meaning in regards to technology (programming errors, modifying computer code often surreptitiously). Own gained new meaning through technology, where it became slang through hacking take over a system and control it, and later from there owned/pwned became further slang to completely dominate' ones opposition in a competition.

Also lol mudkipz, Meme was coined by the great Richard Dawkins, to denote cultural information we pass on, made as a counterpart to genes through which genetic information is passed on.

Thanks so much guys!  More info if anyone is still thinking, she wants to only write about the last 20 years, and only created words.