ReShade for PSOBB (Optional Screen Space Ray Traced Global Illumination)

I've now played around with this a bit but with my setup (Intel i5-3450 QuadCore@3.10 GHz, GeForce GTX 960, 8 GB RAM - PSO doesn't like Nvidia cards anyway) there seem to be minor, selective performance issues that cause short framedrops. I can't pinpoint it but it seems to happen mostly when huge walls or other structures obscure most of the current view. There was one particular instance in Tower in the Lost Heart Breaker quest, in an early room which is split into four parts. After the first warp (1 Gi Gue and 2 Ill Gills spawn) the game went to a total crawl for about one second, then back to the regular 30 fps. Exactly the same occured on a consecutive run.

I also had another one that can easily be recreated if you go to the lobby, stand in front of one of the two pillars that are not near the counter so that you face the counter. Sit down and manipulate the camera to get the pillar behind you (so that it completely obscures the view, the camera may actually be inside the pillar). Since I run Fraps, I could immediately see the fps drop from 30 to 25 or so. Pressing the toggle button to turn of the mod saw it go back to 30.

There have been other fps drop spikes which usually only last for a second or less, but still annoying when they happen.

What are the other players' experience with issues?

Lol never would have thought I would need to go to the higher end of gpus to play pso but with all effects going on ,it killed my entry level quad core built in r7 amd setup , when I upgrade I will try this again because even at slow fps I got when mod was on it looked really nice : (

7 hours ago, El Socko said:

I've now played around with this a bit but with my setup (Intel i5-3450 QuadCore@3.10 GHz, GeForce GTX 960, 8 GB RAM - PSO doesn't like Nvidia cards anyway) there seem to be minor, selective performance issues that cause short framedrops. I can't pinpoint it but it seems to happen mostly when huge walls or other structures obscure most of the current view. There was one particular instance in Tower in the Lost Heart Breaker quest, in an early room which is split into four parts. After the first warp (1 Gi Gue and 2 Ill Gills spawn) the game went to a total crawl for about one second, then back to the regular 30 fps. Exactly the same occured on a consecutive run.

I also had another one that can easily be recreated if you go to the lobby, stand in front of one of the two pillars that are not near the counter so that you face the counter. Sit down and manipulate the camera to get the pillar behind you (so that it completely obscures the view, the camera may actually be inside the pillar). Since I run Fraps, I could immediately see the fps drop from 30 to 25 or so. Pressing the toggle button to turn of the mod saw it go back to 30.

There have been other fps drop spikes which usually only last for a second or less, but still annoying when they happen.

What are the other players' experience with issues?

Odds are it's the ambient occlusion causing the issue.  These aren't optimized effects, they are written in a way to work with any game that reshade can get the necessary information for.  Next time it happens, try toggling off just ambient occlusion (caps lock).  As stated before, I'm using a gtx 1070, performance anomalies will probably go unnoticed by me since they won't affect me at all in this game.

10 hours ago, Nessly said:

That hotkey config worked perfectly! I replaced your new SweetFX.cfg w/ the one that was in my reshade folder to reduce the blue tint, but it didn't have any effect (still blue). I'll try tinkering with the settings some tomorrow. It's just a minor preference. OVerall love it still! Thanks again ZabaZu!

If it didn't change, you may have done something wrong.  I just double checked and I uploaded the correct file.  You put it in the ReShade folder in your PSO directory and told it to overwrite the file, correct?  If you do see a difference and it didn't fix the problem, could you take a screenshot showing a specific area?  I used a filter that literally reduced the teal-ish color lol.

It's also possible that you are referring to the bloom shader I used.  Just to be sure, go into the GemFX.cfg file and try disabling USE_BLOOM.  Note that you CAN make these changes while playing the game.

By the way, I may as well just ask this ... which parameter is responsible for the glare effect? Specifically, when there are big areas of a bright colour, like for example a chat bubble or your lobby photon chair (I tested with a white one), there is a big glare of the same colour around the area. It seems this may also affect my performance. Earlier today, I took a screenshot of my lobby chair in front of the pillar (described in an earlier post, even though the pillar isn't showing). In this case my fps dropped to 21. Also note the glare around the edge of the chair:

psobb2016-08-0713-14-iku94.jpg

It almost feels like the Gaussian Blur in Photoshop but this is not activated (in CustomFX.cfg) so it must be something else?

EDIT:

Okay, so there IS Bloom activated. When I wrote my post I thought Bloom was off since (I think) there is another config file that shows it with "0", but it is also present in GemFX. I will mess around with this one then.

Edited by El Socko

26 minutes ago, El Socko said:

By the way, I may as well just ask this ... which parameter is responsible for the glare effect? Specifically, when there are big areas of a bright colour, like for example a chat bubble or your lobby photon chair (I tested with a white one), there is a big glare of the same colour around the area. It seems this may also affect my performance. Earlier today, I took a screenshot of my lobby chair in front of the pillar (described in an earlier post, even though the pillar isn't showing). In this case my fps dropped to 21. Also note the glare around the edge of the chair:

psobb2016-08-0713-14-iku94.jpg

It almost feels like the Gaussian Blur in Photoshop but this is not activated (in CustomFX.cfg) so it must be something else?

EDIT:

Okay, so there IS Bloom activated. When I wrote my post I thought Bloom was off since (I think) there is another config file that shows it with "0", but it is also present in GemFX. I will mess around with this one then.

I think that bloom shader is based on a Gaussian function, so you aren't wrong lol.  The bloom shouldn't be hurting performance, it isn't an intensive effect.  If anything, it's ambient occlusion or RBM.

5 hours ago, ZabaZu said:

Odds are it's the ambient occlusion causing the issue.  These aren't optimized effects, they are written in a way to work with any game that reshade can get the necessary information for.  Next time it happens, try toggling off just ambient occlusion (caps lock).  As stated before, I'm using a gtx 1070, performance anomalies will probably go unnoticed by me since they won't affect me at all in this game.

If it didn't change, you may have done something wrong.  I just double checked and I uploaded the correct file.  You put it in the ReShade folder in your PSO directory and told it to overwrite the file, correct?  If you do see a difference and it didn't fix the problem, could you take a screenshot showing a specific area?  I used a filter that literally reduced the teal-ish color lol.

It's also possible that you are referring to the bloom shader I used.  Just to be sure, go into the GemFX.cfg file and try disabling USE_BLOOM.  Note that you CAN make these changes while playing the game.

I must have been doing something wrong. >.< Anyway I mustered up the courage to tinker with the settings. Finally got it juuuuuuuuuuust right. Thanks for all your help and for showing getting this to us! ;p

CatqzQS.png

• 3 months later...
46 minutes ago, Waluigi1 said:

Bump?

I guess you'll have to wait to see if he ever comes back

Last visited

Also, you might want to check out ReShade 3.0.
Wrapper required for PSOBB (DirectX8): d3d8to9

It probably won't work with the original stuff posted here but you can work your own.

21 hours ago, Waluigi1 said:

Hey so it looks like that first file needs permission to download? I went ahead and signed up and asked. Not sure if it's you or not.

Okay so for some reason the developer of ReShade decided he wanted to force everyone to use 3.0.  That's annoying.  Oh well, I included the DLL in the presets now (and moved them to mega).  The only reason I didn't include them before was because he asked people not to do it.  Fairly annoying that he did that.

Anyway, the guide is updated to reflect the changes.  Let me know if anything goes wrong.

• 1 year later...

Now that's some timming. I just found out about post processing in PSO yesterday and was a bit disappointed I couldn't get the newest version of re-shade to work with it. After messing around with it a bit I figured I'd have to compile a custom version myself and edit some stuff I had no idea how to do it so I just accepted the fact that I was stuck with the older version, which still was very cool btw.

The eye adaption shader looks amazing btw, it really feels that much more like true HDR . Anyways, I downloaded the pack and followed the instructions, the only problem is... it won't launch XD

I'm having pretty much the same problem I had when I was just trying to use the 3.2.0 release version. Once I put the D3D8.dll file in the folder, the game won't launch anymore, I double click it, or use the launcher and nothing happens. 

I'm playing on another server and idk if I'm allowed to talk about it, so I won't. You linked this thread on their forums thou. Just thought it would be better to reply on the original threads for the same reason you linked this thread there instead of re-posting it.

I'm using interface modifications idk if that could be causing issues.

Thanks for putting in the effort to update this amazing stuff, including going as far as compiling a custom version.

Well sob... I didn't ever see this post. I was actually working on a shader myself after using one for gta v and impressed. None the less ty I'll give this a try. 

Edited by O9B066

1 hour ago, rakescar said:

Now that's some timming. I just found out about post processing in PSO yesterday and was a bit disappointed I couldn't get the newest version of re-shade to work with it. After messing around with it a bit I figured I'd have to compile a custom version myself and edit some stuff I had no idea how to do it so I just accepted the fact that I was stuck with the older version, which still was very cool btw.

The eye adaption shader looks amazing btw, it really feels that much more like true HDR . Anyways, I downloaded the pack and followed the instructions, the only problem is... it won't launch XD

I'm having pretty much the same problem I had when I was just trying to use the 3.2.0 release version. Once I put the D3D8.dll file in the folder, the game won't launch anymore, I double click it, or use the launcher and nothing happens. 

I'm playing on another server and idk if I'm allowed to talk about it, so I won't. You linked this thread on their forums thou. Just thought it would be better to reply on the original threads for the same reason you linked this thread there instead of re-posting it.

I'm using interface modifications idk if that could be causing issues.

Thanks for putting in the effort to update this amazing stuff, including going as far as compiling a custom version.

I've got it working for the client on that server as well.  Just so you know why it is the way it is, for PSOBB you need d3d8.dll and d3d9.dll.  ReShade doesn't support dx8, which is what PSO uses.  However, there's a dx8 to dx9 converter (the d3d8.dll) that will allow reshade to work.  d3d9.dll is ReShade itself.  In the zip file I uploaded, all the files needed are included.  There's some extra steps involved in getting my version working compared to the normal ReShade 3.0+ installer, so if you glossed over it due to familiarity, try reading the steps again.  I went through the installation steps I laid out on a fresh install on PSOBB to make sure I didn't miss anything, so I'm not sure what else the problem could be.