Getting more combo hits?!?!

Alright all you PSO oldbies, vets and so forth, inquiring minds wanna know, namely THIS guy! *points at himself*

What's the "magic secret" to scoring more combo hits in your attacks? I have some pretty nice weapons and gear myself nowadays(even with hit as well!) but it seems at times I can't score seeming endless amounts of combos like I've seen some guys do in the past. Granted, I realize some of these guys were pretty high level and packin' some serious heat, like some really rare weapons like Dark Meteor, but what gives? Why can't I seem to do it on the higher difficultly levels? I don't have so much of this problem on normal, hard or maybe even very hard, but ultimate is like nearly impossible for me to score many combo hits at all.

Is it ATP?

Is it ATA?

Is it your luck attribute?

Is it higher hit% on given weapons?

C'mon, somebody spill the beans maaaaannnn...

Thanks for any insight in advance guys. :onion-head71:

Edited by Trigunman

If you want your combo hits to land you need a lot of accuracy. Certain accuracy buffs like Ranger Wall give you a free 20 hit basically, and these small buffs really do help. Getting hit% with any weapon you use is almost a must in my eyes if you plan to land 85% of your attacks. Ultimate mobs have higher EVP compared to the other difficulties so you need to compensate for it. LUCK does not deal with accuracy, but how much of a chance your attacks have to critical hit.

Some things I would suggest for accuracy buffs would be:

Ranger Wall (Episode 2 > Shops > Gallon's) 20 accuracy added to rangers only

Red Ring (Ultimate Falz drop) 20 accuracy added

THIRTEEN for diska of braveman (Redria or Whitill ULT dorphon ep.4) 30 accuracy added with DoB

Hope I helped!

Edited by Magicast

Your accuracy, is based on the number out side your base ATA score. Having a weapon with Hit, has a percentage add it to itself in the form of more ATA/accuracy. This Hit attribute, some of you weapons have, only effects the weapons ATA; which is added to your base ATA after units, Mags, shields, ect., ect... are applied; giving you the number you see to the right of your base ATA.

Lets take for example: A gun with 50 ata that has 100% on Hit will have a final ATA of 100. (100% = X2, 50% = X1.5) So, now, lets say you have 180 base ATA, right? /rhetorical

Next, you add the final ATA of your gun to your base ATA of your character, and you come out with 280 ATA or 280(180).

Now, when you trying to hit that ILL GILL, or whatever monster it is you keep missing with, Its because the EVP stat of said monster fights your weaker stat of ATA. I can't get into the details of the accuracy formula, when doing the monster EVP vs. your accuracy score. There is also another formula that takes into account how far away you are from the target, and then, after it modifies your ATA, it then goes into 'monster's EVP vs. your ATA.;' this formula, only effects non rangers...

Yes, you will need more Hit on your weapons and have a max base ATA, to hit some enemies.

Doing a combo that hits with the first strike, will make the next ones hit with more accuracy. There are also "special" combos you can do, e.g., the Slicer Glitch. There is a topic about the slicer glitch [ this glitch can be done on other ranged weapons ;) ] in the forums... If you want know more about this glitch you can talk to me in game, or ask around.

Well, I'll leave it at that, if you want to know more about the accuracy formulas, as well, then P.M. me.

One more thing... V502, using this will help you a lot when using Hell, Arrest,... Don't want to open another sub topic XD

Pretty much everything has been said already about landing a successful combo

Might add that the unit SMARTLINK will increase your ranged accuracy on non ranger classes. (20 past base if if I'm not mistaking)

Also a normal attack will land more often than a heavy attack, which will still land more often than most special attacks. (there are exceptions)

A good combo in ultimate when you often miss, is [normal, hard, hard], [normal, normal, hard] or [normal, hard, special] (again there are exceptions)

The only way to increase your ATA is by equipment/weapons, dex on your mag and leveling up.

Ahhh, great stuff so far guys, thanks! As I suspected, ATA is the magic trait. Ever since I got ahold of a Frozen Shooter with 30% hit a while back, I've done alot more combos with it.

I just got Fatboy's old Cannon Rouge here recently with about 30% hit and I've noticed already it doesn't miss near as much as my plain old Cannon Rouge, except against some enemies in Ultimate when I use strong attacks.

Yes, I knew about the V502 Rudy, thanks, it's why I have it equipped currently. :D

So I guess I need to double my efforts to get me a SmartLink unit ASAP and maybe get me a Ranger Wall... Thankfully my mag has some dex even though it's basically a POW mag.(5/145/50/0)

Thanks again guys! ;)B)

Might add that the unit SMARTLINK will increase your ranged accuracy on non ranger classes. (20 past base if if I'm not mistaking)

Ahhhh crap... Don't tell me smartlink is basically worthless to RAs? :onion119:

*update*

Nevermind, just read the info on it on pso-world.com... *facepalm*

Great... Time for plan B then, guess I'll get that heavenly/arms unit back in my armor then. *sigh*

ALRIGHT, next question:

*hijacks own thread*

Can identical units stats be stacked? Example:

wearing 2 heavenly/arms units on my armor gives a total cumulative bonus of 50+ ATA? Or will only one be effective?

Also, wearing two of the same type of reinforcement unit stack it's effects as well, for example:

god/arms + heavenly/arms = 40+ ATA?

Edited by Trigunman

Ahhhh crap... Don't tell me smartlink is basically worthless to RAs? :onion119:

*update*

Nevermind, just read the info on it on pso-world.com... *facepalm*

Great... Time for plan B then, guess I'll get that heavenly/arms unit back in my armor then. *sigh*

ALRIGHT, next question:

*hijacks own thread*

Can identical units stats be stacked? Example:

wearing 2 heavenly/arms units on my armor gives a total cumulative bonus of 50+ ATA? Or will only one be effective?

Also, wearing two of the same type of reinforcement unit stack it's effects as well, for example:

god/arms + heavenly/arms = 40+ ATA?

Yes, they stack. The only units that don't stack are V501, V502, V801 (I might be missing one or two more).

some units can stack, like the ones you mentioned while some cannot. SMARTLINK, all battle units (heavenly/battle etc.) won't stack. Most of the time, when they give extra stat points they will stack, but other special abilities don't most of the time. ADEPT still does stack for the TP reduction, but it becomes less effective as the % is recalculated after the other ones.

Edited by chuk

Excellent! Thanks again gentlemen for your time and picking your brains about this stuff, it's very appreciated.

Hopefully the newbies in the future can refer to this thread for use as well when building and growing their character(s).

*update*

Okay, lighting has struck my head guys and holy crap I'm a dumbass! Apparently everyone missed my true intention of this thread, I didn't explain myself well enough or either inadvertently just assumed I knew how to perform a combo attack I guess... My bad.

For all this time, NO ONE has ever taught me how to execute a combo attack... You know, slice, slice, slice, or boom, boom, boom?

Well, tonight I finally figured it out, LOL!!!

It's all a matter of timing of the attack keys, in a rhythm with your attack frames give you a key to when to press.

I can now do it on all my weapons once I got a little practice in, I've fell in love with my Mille Marteauxs all over again. My Asteron Belt is friggin going to RAPE those damn lizards in EP4 now. :D I know, how sad, but again, how sweet it is, YAY!!!

Now that I've finally discovered how to combo, this thread is now officially done haha!

Goodday gents and I'll see you guys on the server! :onion-head11:

Edited by Trigunman

wow man. what were you doing the whole time up to this? just mashing your attack key? and now that you know this a weak, hard, hard combo will provide better ata and weak, special, special will give a better proc rate on the weapon specials.

Sad but true man, yea, I have been wondering for the longest time how some of you guys just attack, attack, attack with ease with weapons like swords, mech guns, shots and so forth... I could never figure out why or how, I assumed they were just very high level and got more hits like on rpgs like Final Fantasy! XD VERY frustrating after the fact now... NO ONE ever bothered to show me how either sadly... But yea, I can bust out any combo now, I spent some time in a forest of wrath run last night working with each weapon I had on me that could combo, with each attack and then mixing up the attacks.

Excellent! Thanks again gentlemen for your time and picking your brains about this stuff, it's very appreciated.

Hopefully the newbies in the future can refer to this thread for use as well when building and growing their character(s).

*update*

Okay, lighting has struck my head guys and holy crap I'm a dumbass! Apparently everyone missed my true intention of this thread, I didn't explain myself well enough or either inadvertently just assumed I knew how to perform a combo attack I guess... My bad.

For all this time, NO ONE has ever taught me how to execute a combo attack... You know, slice, slice, slice, or boom, boom, boom?

Well, tonight I finally figured it out, LOL!!!

It's all a matter of timing of the attack keys, in a rhythm with your attack frames give you a key to when to press.

I can now do it on all my weapons once I got a little practice in, I've fell in love with my Mille Marteauxs all over again. My Asteron Belt is friggin going to RAPE those damn lizards in EP4 now. :D I know, how sad, but again, how sweet it is, YAY!!!

Now that I've finally discovered how to combo, this thread is now officially done haha!

Goodday gents and I'll see you guys on the server! :onion-head11:

If I didn't know any better... I'd say we all got trolled, lol.

Nahhh, no trololololing Rudy... :lol: Just surprised as you guys are why I never learned or was taught this very simple, but important technique to the game up until now.(especially the sad fact I'm now at level 180 ROFL) I have more recently learned to consistently combo with my Frozen Shooter, by doing a "special, standard, standard attack", but I think that was just mere coincidence and mostly by accident. However it was a key in me finally figuring out how to master comboing, once I learned it was a matter of timing and holding down the key between attacks in the combo.

One damn thing is for sure, I'm fixing to blow the dust off my vulcans and Mille Marteauxs, via some monster's hide! :onion119:

I imagine there are more people out there on the server that are clueless about this as well than you would think. B) Regardless, I'll be teaching any newbies I come across or help out about this from now on, if they haven't already figured it out or learned it elsewhere.

Edited by Trigunman

if you can successfully perform any combo with the LAST SWAN and a combo-unlocked L&K38, you can do it with every weapon. Takes a little practice at first, but becomes a second nature quickly.

Nahhh, no trololololing Rudy... :lol: Just surprised as you guys are why I never learned or was taught this very simple, but important technique to the game up until now.(especially the sad fact I'm now at level 180 ROFL) I have more recently learned to consistently combo with my Frozen Shooter, by doing a "special, standard, standard attack", but I think that was just mere coincidence and mostly by accident. However it was a key in me finally figuring out how to master comboing, once I learned it was a matter of timing and holding down the key between attacks in the combo.

One damn thing is for sure, I'm fixing to blow the dust off my vulcans and Mille Marteauxs, via some monster's hide! :onion119:

I imagine there are more people out there on the server that are clueless about this as well than you would think. B) Regardless, I'll be teaching any newbies I come across or help out about this from now on, if they haven't already figured it out or learned it elsewhere.

you dont need to hold the button in between attacks. just press, press, press