Big fan of PSO, since the Dreamcast and GC days, looking to get into this...

Arek

I'm a newb when it comes to this game actually being online though.

All I've really played is the GC version (had two characters up around LV140, both mages).
I've been looking for a way to play this game online for ages, as I used to play it offline with my cousin and some mates when I was younger, and just started playing it on GC recently and decided to try and google PSO and see if any communities are active now, and I found this.

I assume this plays (my download hasn't finished yet) like the normal version, but with extras?
Is it possible to easily play online with other people, because that's something I always missed out on doing but always wanted to do.
Read a little of the FAQ and it sounds interesting and it looks better in the screenshots.

Anyway, if anyone see's me online (my tag will be "Arek", "Erim", "Amon", "Daos"  and "Gades" or something to do with Lufia 2 as it's my favorite game) bare with me, I'll be a bit of a newb for a while as I'm not a PC gamer and the only game I ever really played on PC was DUNE2, lol....

Edited by Arek
Clarifying my names.
  • Like 1

Welcome to ultima!  I'll clear up some of you're concerns and give you some tips to avoid common problems with game setup.

1. It plays very similar to the original game.  There have been some modifications that the staff has made to enhance the experience (new items, harder ultimate mode, faster leveling, etc).  Coming from the console version, you may wish to get a controller for more familiar controls, however this is entirely unnecessary (and in my opinion detrimental to the game play).
  2. Playing with other people is almost easier than playing alone! When you load in, one of the first differences you will notice is that you don't spawn in pioneer2, but in a lobby with other players currently online.  You can talk to the ladies at the desk to join or create a game (there's a whole selection process like the beginning of an offline game that sets the game mode and type).

Tips:

• Make sure to run the launcher to start the game, and if it doesn't run right, try running it as administrator.
  • PsoBB has some leftover code from back when it used GameGuard that causes it to be flagged as a Trojan.  This is a false positive.  If your Anti-Virus gives you problems add the ultima psobb folder to the exceptions.
  • Forum account and in game account are different, so make sure you sign up for both.
  • Green usernames means 5x exp and is a mini-event.
  • Blue\Black usernames are GMs, and are very friendly and helpful.
  • There are some PNG files burried in "./ultima psobb/data/" that are named 'help' that have the keyboard controls.

Make some friends, we have a really great community here that is almost always willing to help out.  And most importantly, have fun!

Edited by Lemon
  • Like 2

Thanks for the reply.
Yeah I think I spent like 2000 hours (offline lol) on the GC version over about 3 different classes and only ever obtained 1 12 star weapon (which I couldn't use as my class anyway).
I have an Xbox controller that runs on the PC somewhere, but not sure where it is.
Glad to hear that there is a harder difficulty than Ultimate (even though Seabed on Ultimate, more so in Co-op offline was still irritating as hell).

I'll try not to be too annoying, I won't join any other players until I figure it out.
Cheers.

Edit: Wow, I can't believe how smooth is it (as I said, newb with this sort of stuff).
I just need to get used to it (I can't get out of the lobby, I spent about 10 minutes trying to change the controls).
Will definitely be playing this more though.

Edited by Arek
Additional info

welcome Arek! You'll love it here just as i have. i was a veteran psobb player back on sega live servers.

welcome and enjoy! my main us haruko so add me anytime

• Like 1

Cheers.
I had 2 or 3 very nice people give me a number of rare stuff to help my mage out at the start, then did some quest with another guy where I reached level 30 extremely fast.
Only problem I have is I want to transfer my stuff from my Human female mage to the elf looking one (I always forget their names) as I just prefer her, but it's no biggie, I can see myself spending a lot of time playing this game (and getting my cousin interesting in it, since we used to play it offline for what is probably a combined 2000 hours).
Kinda sad that the first time I played Phantasy Star Online - Online, was today.....lol.

Thanks to those people who donated the chests, I can't remember the names, but I remember the name of the other guy who helped me gain some levels quickly (Pinkal). <3
Also forgive me for sounding stupid, but how do I "add" people? >_>

• Like 1

press F12 while using keyboard, then go to Chat>Guild Card>My Card>Send>Select Member in Room.

to get a card, the other member has to do the same.

• Like 1

Okay, thanks for explaining that.
I rarely use the keyboard as I'm so used to playing this game with a controller.
I was running the game through a HDMI cable through my TV (when playing alone), but it was definitely easier using both when I needed to type when other people were around, since I gibber a fair bit and I couldn't believe the amount of monsters showing up in the quest we were doing lol.
I'll try and do so next time I'm online, Aus time though so dinner.
Thanks again.

• Like 1

Welcome to ultima!

There are is some new content on ultima as well as new quests, if you want you can have a look at this list 

where it says exclusive server items for a better idea of anything you might be interested on during events :3

good hunting!

Edited by Cyane

8 hours ago, Lemon said:

Look into the /bank command. That will allow you to transfer items between characters on the same account.  

Great news then. <3

7 hours ago, HUmanMustard said:

DONT GET NOL'd!!!!

I dunno what that means so....hopefully I won't? >_>

7 hours ago, Cyane said:

Welcome to ultima!

There are is some new content on ultima as well as new quests, if you want you can have a look at this list 

Ah, someone donated me that item that shortens spell casting time, thanks for the link!