Having issues transitioning from Normal to Hard

Josh Lambsdown

Hi all. I'm a long-time PSO GC player, as well as playing on some of the 'other' PSO servers that were out. My friend and I decided to start playing again (every May for some reason,) and it seems that Hard Mode is just ridiculous. I'm currently sitting as a level 33 HUnewearl, and he's around a 27ish HUmar. Normally on the GC version i could start Hard pre-level 20 no problem, and here I'm struggling to make it through Forest.

Is the difficulty ramped up on this server, or am I just worse than I thought I was? And if it is more difficult, does anyone have some tips for us to transition to Hard better? We're starting to get a little discouraged.

Need to work on your mags too and well get some units, a better frame, better weapons along the way etc.

Mags we are working on. As far as units, weapons, and armor... Those are the issue. I'm not sure if we've been unlucky, but we have been getting next to nothing out of any boxes or enemies. This in turns leads to less money, money which we end up spending on raising our mag because we can't afford anything else.

I had 11 open inventory slots going into Forest, and ended up walking out of Dragon with an 1 open item slot. Those items barely covered the cost of the food for my mag.

Maybe I'm just not used to the Online difficulty, compared to the offline GCN difficulty. Maybe the accelerated leveling has skewed my view a little. *shrug*

Since we level up faster we tend to forget that the mag exist and want to reach 200 without it done, for meseta you can ask around, peoples give plenty to newcomers and maybe will help with some low level rares.

If it's still being hard you can always make an open room saying "help" or something and maybe one of the available players might hop in to help.

In particular if you're having difficulty, try leveling your mag and increasing level, on multiplayer I'd recommend level 25-30 before you go into it. Also, remember that with 3x exp, you mag will be under leveled unless you devote time to it.

When I started on this server the first thing I did was get two mag to level 200, one was mind mag and the other was power and Dex..and my character was still lvl 25...but when my mag reach around 150 I started to lvl up my character

Ultima likes helping out anyone who need it, so there's no shame in asking for assistance. Trust me, we are very very nice, especially to newcomers. :3 If you're having trouble, raw levels count for something. Technically you don't need special units or equipment until Ultimate mode, although it makes the curb steeper than it needs to be. Make a room named something like "TTF help" or "RT help" and watch the high-level players swoop in to tank you.

If you find any Photon Drops lying around, you could always buy a low-end rare to tide you over. You might also earn them yourself by doing Black Paper Deal* in ep 4 in either Normal of Hard for some early goodies. If you're lucky you can even count on the kindness of strangers to give you something. I can't speak for everyone, but I keep a few rares I know I won't use specifically so I can give it to newcomers who are struggling a bit.

*To easily farm the Photon Crystals needed to do this quest, do MA4DMD in ep 4 in Normal. There's a guaranteed Dorphon Eclair spawn early on that will drop a PC. Pazuzus also drop them, but MA4DMD has a handful of guaranteed Eclair appearances... if you can manage the quest. Seriously. Bring a buddy.

So far I haven't offended anyone by giving them free stuff. XD It's not like I hand them out like candy, just give them a unit or a weapon to make life a little easier.

You have a PD? Neat. I recommend buying a unit, something simple and affordable like a G/Power or /Ability, maybe H/ if they're feeling generous. At this point you probably wouldn't be able to equip even a low-end rare, since you're low-leveled, are still feeding your mag, and have no mats. Oh, speaking of mats, make a Greenill and go do Wrath of Forest on Normal. Hildeblues will drop power mats, and rare Rappies drop mind mats. It also gives good early exp if you don't feel like TTFing or RTing all the time. You can also do an oh-so fun quest called Path to Salvation, but you really wanna bring a buddy for that one.