Could use some help for picking my character/section ID

sutasafaia

It's been such a long time since I played this game that I barely even remember where to start. I've scoured the internet of course and I certainly remember which character class I enjoyed playing but I had forgotten all the little details about stats, section ID item specific drops, spells/immunities, etc. So some ideas on which of these two to play would be really helpful.

I know that I am going to play either a RaCast or a RaMarl. I loved Ranger back when I used to play the game and I seem to remember Rangers being the best class for soloing. Yea, I prefer to solo. I know, I'm the plague of the MMO world I like to play with people, I like having them to talk to, I just don't want them in my game ;)

Anyway, the question is, which one? Having access to shifta/deband/etc is a big thing for a solo player but I also remember RaCast having several immunities to status effects, being able to see traps, as well as technically being stronger, or something like that. It made it so you could carry less items in your inventory since you didn't have to worry about getting shocked (was it shock?) or poisoned (again, was it poison? I forget). Of course it also meant you didn't need to worry about running out of said items and ending up in trouble. Looking at you computer room boss thingy who loved to shock me so much. Traps were obnoxious also and I barely remember even using them on the RaCast, but those immunities/trap sight were such a nice thing to have.

Of course RaMarl is apparently better for having spells, I read that she might be the best soloer in the game? Not sure. Lots of debate on her and one of the hunters I think.

Any ideas between them? It seems to come down to convenience vs "best"? Either way, I would be willing to play either, I just prefer to play the better one to avoid wasting a ton of time.

And of course there's Section ID. I remember this giving me such a headache back when the game first came out because there were no guides. Ended up having my RaCast in Whitall (or something like that) because I liked that color. I don't remember if that was a mistake or not...might have been? So what do you think is the best Section ID for the solo ranger enthusiast?

Thanks in advance for the advice, hello to everybody. Can't wait to get back into this game again. Especially Ruins, pure nostalgia goodness with that music.

• Like 1

Hello,

Ramarl is without a doubt a good solo character (buffs and debuffs make a lot of difference and the attack power isn't that bad if you are well geared) the other class discussed would be HUnewearl (just forget it, HUnewearl is still lacking some love in weapons, even if she does great with double sabers she needs more ranged weapons).

For the best id on a ranger I would say purplenum, you get access to Frozen shooter, Lavis cannon, psycho wand, yasminkov 9000m, c.bringer's right arm, belra's right arm, spread needle, panzer faust and yasminkov 7000v, Half of those are dream weapons for rangers. (panzer faust for racast).

Redria for addslots Lavis cannon, spread needle, limiter, wedding dress

Whitill for wedding dress, red ring, psycho wand. lame d'argent (there's oran for this too), frozen shooter, s-reds arms

Greenill for Luck material, power material, rianov 303snr-5, heaven striker, slicer of fanatic (this is mostly a force id, many ep4 hunts or material hunts where a rafoie would solve everything really quick).

EDIT: you can always balance ramarl disadvantage with status effects using a cure unit for that case. She has anti, so she can cure herself from poison stats and slowness, for paralysis you can use a unit.

Edited by cyane
  • Like 3

Take a look at the link in my signature, it has plenty of useful guides as well as an elaborate topic on character IDs and their pros & cons ^^

I don't know what class is the "best," but Baemarl is bae and probably the best suited for solo play. Personally I think casts are a poor solo class. I mean, a good player can make it work (any class can kick ass if you know how), but RAmarl can fill many different roles if she needs to, so she's better equipped to take care of herself. She has level 20 techs, healing and buffs and debuffs, access to spiffy female-only equipment, and has decent stats all around. A RAcast is limited to traps and just being beefy enough to dish out and withstand abuse. That's valid, but I prefer a character that's more flexible -- and you need flexibility to successfuly solo.

RAcast does naturally see traps, and is immune to paralysis and poison, but those are just minor conveniences. All classes can use Trap Visions to see traps, and status ailments like Poison are easily cured with Anti. Freeze and Shock (which the "computer room boss" Vol Opt spams) wear off on their own, and there are units you can equip to make you immune.

Since you insist on soloing it for the most part, you may wanna take Cyane's advice and go with Purplenum. Much of what she listed is Standard Ranger Equipment , and you don't need another player's ID to find them. Never leave home without a Frozen Shooter. Freezing enemies in their tracks nearly 100 percent of the time is super handy when you're by yourself. I also recommend making another character that's Greenill so you can, like Cyane also mentions, farm power/luck/mind materials. With rare monster appearances frequently increased, a single Wrath of Forest run can net you a good handful of power mats and a few mind mats.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the ideas, Ramarl it is apparently.

Also, yea, Vol Opt, that was his name. Back when I played this game as a kid I hated that boss, it was the main reason I rolled a Racast. I wasn't very good when I was a kid and traps/shock drove me frigging crazy.

Now to spend hours working out a perfect mag feeding plan. This is one of those things that even now still confuses me. I know I want a Nidra or Sato for the triple invincibility with twins (always seemed the most useful to me) but it seems like, no matter how detailed the guide is, I can never figure this out or get it to evolve properly.

Edited by sutasafaia

Not sure if it's to late to reconsider but , here's my input .

Ramarl is good sure , she can learn shifts/deband up to lv 20 and jellen/zalure , anti herself ect .

Racast in my opinion is the best choice though . Traps go a long way and help the most over all . Especially if you learn proper trap shooting (shooting your own traps) . They can't shifta and deband but they're pretty powerful . no need for trap vision taking up a slot in your inventory or antiparalysis , stuff like that . Simple sol atomizer can fix anything . Do some challenge mode , win an S rank and put zalure special on it and you're set . Ramarl can learn gifoe to stop charging enemies , but Racast can use "twin blaze" with gifoie special ;) Racast can use Iron Faust , ramarls can't , which is pretty powerful and useful on every boss .

This is a fact , the best players on this server are actually Racasts , they're reaallly good . I think Racast is best .

As for the ID choice " http://www.phantasystaronline.net/test/newsite/droptable.php" here is the link to the most accurate drop chart (doesn't include event items)

I noticed Cyane said "Wedding dress" but I know wedding dress is different in other servers . here, its the second best armor .

" http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php/topic/10353-psobb-ultima-itemweaponarmorshieldunit-effects-ie/" here you can find out what certain item stats changes are on this server .

My opinion , choose Skyly :D it's gets a lot of love .

Edited by Stark 1
  • Like 1

Nah, never too late to consider other options. I'll likely spent a week trying to figure this all out before finally sitting down to play. Thanks for the ideas :) I'll certainly consider them while I torture myself over character creation. I tend to drive myself nuts with this.