Duke Nukem 3D Title Theme .ogg

mudkipzjm

In honor of the 20th anniversary edition coming out, I looped the opening theme for Duke Nukem 3d, named GrabBag. It's my first .ogg, so stuff like volume might be a bit off. I'm open to critique, so let me know what you think!

https://www.mediafire.com/?1kcge90f2k7b8m4

Edited by mudkipzjm
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, 2blivion said:

so how do we use it? i love the idea

You pick a song in the game you want to replace. So in this example I'll pick the title song. Just make a backup of the song you want to replace, then name the file you want to replace the title music with TITLE.ogg and boom, you now have custom title music. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Arek said:

Love it.
I need to find that Zelda chest noise for my rare drops....>_>

Just find a mp3 of it, then convert it to .ogg, should work lol.

• Like 1

Cheers Mudkip.

Don't mean to derail your topic, but is it easy for someone who...is frankly a newb/noob with computers to make the music loop easy enough?

For example, I love a lot of Sonic 3 & Knuckles soundtrack (Ice Cap Zone 1 & Sandopolis Zone 2 much <3), if I were to covert these would I have a hard time looping them?
There are others I'd likely convert as well (as well as extent and mix some other themes) if it's easy enough.
As I said, if I'm getting too off topic here (which I think I am) I'll make another topic and ask away in there, I just figure you know what you're doing plus it's a free bump, kinda. >_>
Oh I'd love a mix from Sonic 2 and Sonic 3&K all over PSO....:D

Ignore all that, I found the topic which gives a tutorial, thanks again! <3

Edited by Arek
I grew a brain.

Nice song choice mud. Not too shabby for a first attempt.

The volume is too quiet though, I can see that it's at 92.8dB, and you should be aiming for more around 96dB with the song for it to match pso volumes.
My only other issues would be really minor nitpicks, things like it doesn't have the extended 2nd part (which doesn't play on the title screen, but is part of the song), the loop point is good enough but not perfectionist good (pretty nitpicky here), which quality/version of the song you used, etc.
You did a great job on it though, thanks for sharing it.

@Arek There are technically 2 sonic ogg packs already on the forums that you can try out, by BlasterTails here: https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/22577-sonic-sound-pack-16-bit-edition/ and Cyane here: https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/21143-sonic-team-sound-pack-banana-edition/ . Even though they don't have those specific songs, they may have other tracks you are interested in.
There is a good guide for how to loop songs located here: http://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php/topic/23665-so-you-want-to-make-ogg-loops/ , or you can always make a request in this thread: https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/22126-ogg-request-thread/
It's not too hard to make the actual ogg loops, you just have to find your loop point (in sample numbers), make sure that loop point sounds smooth and fits well, and then just cut off everything in the song after the loop end and specify the LOOP_START sample number in the metadata. Well, that and amplifying the volume to be loud enough in pso while making sure that any clipping doesn't cause distortion, converting it to ogg, and naming it correctly for the area you want it to play in.

Edited by Fyrewolf5
  • Like 3

Yea I tried finding out how to boost the db without making it clip, but most of the tutorials went over my head. I'm pretty satisfied for having not used audacity much before this, haha.

• Like 1

Thanks Fyre, I have done things like it with GoldWave, but never worked with numbers, just looped songs I like. I don't think I'd have a clue what I'm doing, might try it out later though. Cheers.

16 minutes ago, 2blivion said:

yeah mudkipz only suggestion i had was volume =] other than that it's great and really reminds me of my duke nukem 3d/64 days xD

I was actually thinking about looping the n64 version since it has that sick intro. I might once I stop feeling lazy, haha.