Wine patch for PSOBB on Linux and Mac

I was not able to compile wine on my 64bit ubuntu 14.04 machine for that attempt.

I've now tried compiling wine in VM 32bit environment for wine 1.8.3 and copying the d3d8 dll over to my Ubuntu machine with wine 1.8.3

Same problem persists

33 minutes ago, kbuzz said:

I was not able to compile wine on my 64bit ubuntu 14.04 machine for that attempt.

I've now tried compiling wine in VM 32bit environment for wine 1.8.3 and copying the d3d8 dll over to my Ubuntu machine with wine 1.8.3

Same problem persists

Ok I would the following .

Remove any installation if wine.

Install wine with apt-get or wherever package manager u use. Make sure the one you select to install is version 1.8.x

Winecfg and select Windows 7 environment.

Place the dlls in the main PSO folder.

Also I saw your using ephinea client. Ephinea have some customisations, try with a clean Ultima installation.

Seems like the d3d8.dll needs to be compiled on the same computer running psobb or else wine starts searching for directories on the machine the dll's were made in.

I was able to build wine 1.8.3 on my main system by adding --without-x --without-freetype, but I'm still getting the same crash before ship select.

http://pastebin.com/MbE9yaXS

hows it going guys i got it working in mint now too ill post a picture with the new wine im using it works a little better just do a new install make sure you delete your old folder and reinstall from the start plz

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install --install-recommends wine-staging

$ sudo apt-get install winehq-staging

Optional, to remove wine and revert the changes, do:

$ sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

$ sudo ppa-purge ppa:wine/wine-builds

just open your terminal  OR press ctrl + Alt + t and enter the commands run wine game should boot up ok im extra happy because now this works in Mint as well!

iv had trouble getting it to work any other way my self but a clean install and that wine should get around the ship crash

i hope this helps others let me know thank you for your time im sorry iv bin busy in real life

Hey hey  i for got to say it works for ubuntu as well  the new wine that is iv told you to use here but im using mint at the moment

HqRsE4c.jpg

Edited by Samuel Oyler
i for got to state it also works with ubuntu

On 7/11/2016 at 2:44 PM, kbuzz said:

Seems like the d3d8.dll needs to be compiled on the same computer running psobb or else wine starts searching for directories on the machine the dll's were made in.

I was able to build wine 1.8.3 on my main system by adding --without-x --without-freetype, but I'm still getting the same crash before ship select.

http://pastebin.com/MbE9yaXS

Im pretty sure your missing the most important steps.

Even BEFORE compiling the source you have to actually APPLY the patch to the source of wine.

I assume you didn't read the entire topic.

1. download the zip (and read the instructions) that contain the patch  https://gist.github.com/Furyhunter/d80373b08f45e43f82e6

2. Extract the content in to the source folder of wine (a clean source)

3 apply the patch to the source.  with command patch -p1 < Filenameofthepatch   more information on applying patches to wine here = https://wiki.winehq.org/Patching

4. run /configure and then compile the DLLS' with command make dlls/d3d8 dlls/wined3d  this will generate the two dlls that you need for the game. 

After you have done all that then you can proceed with the Wine installation.

• Like 1

im simply telling people what worked for me in the steps i used  if you would like to make this easer on everyone simply state all the terminal needed in a row so all they have to do is copy past linux has a terminal commend for everything i never did that extra stuff you asked i can log now if you like and show you its working im not sure what you mean i think the new wine has fixed this has anyone tried my way since iv posted ?  im just trying to help sorry if i cost anyone time on this matter i just know this is how i did this and it worked for me ill try to help what i can

i love this game so very much and i hope to see more people playing on linux

1 minute ago, Samuel Oyler said:

im simply telling people what worked for me in the steps i used  if you would like to make this easer on everyone simply state all the terminal needed in a row so all they have to do is copy past linux has a terminal commend for everything i never did that extra stuff you asked i can log now if you like and show you its working im not sure what you mean i think the new wine has fixed this has anyone tried my way since iv posted ?  im just trying to help sorry if i cost anyone time on this matter i just know this is how i did this and it worked for me ill try to help what i can

i love this game so very much and i hope to see more people playing on linux

My previous post was not quoating your post. it was for someone else.

and good to know that wine-staging (wish is  wine with some patches already applied by the wine community) worked for you.

it may not work for everyone, but the patch that has been developed for PSO it always work.

1 minute ago, Larva said:

My previous post was not quoating your post. it was for someone else.

and good to know that wine-staging (wish is  wine with some patches already applied by the wine community) worked for you.

it may not work for everyone, but the patch that has been developed for PSO it always work.

ty very much i have trouble sometimes reading or understanding things  i hope we can get lots of users on linux no more virus no paying for any apps just a pc that works and works for you!

its a nice dream !

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 14/07/2016 at 6:47 AM, Larva said:

Im pretty sure your missing the most important steps.

Even BEFORE compiling the source you have to actually APPLY the patch to the source of wine.

I assume you didn't read the entire topic.

1. download the zip (and read the instructions) that contain the patch  https://gist.github.com/Furyhunter/d80373b08f45e43f82e6

2. Extract the content in to the source folder of wine (a clean source)

3 apply the patch to the source.  with command patch -p1 < Filenameofthepatch   more information on applying patches to wine here = https://wiki.winehq.org/Patching

4. run /configure and then compile the DLLS' with command make dlls/d3d8 dlls/wined3d  this will generate the two dlls that you need for the game. 

After you have done all that then you can proceed with the Wine installation.

Everything up to point 3 worked perfect. When running the command in point 4 though, I'm getting this error message:

make dlls/d3d8 dlls/wined3d

make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/wine-1.8.5/libs/port'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/wine-1.8.5/libs/port'
make[1]: Entering directory '/tmp/wine-1.8.5/libs/wine'
gcc -m32 -c -o c_10001.o c_10001.c -I. -I../../include -D__WINESRC__ -DWINE_UNICODE_API="" -D_REENTRANT -fPIC \
  -Wall -pipe -fno-strict-aliasing -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wempty-body -Wignored-qualifiers \
  -Wstrict-prototypes -Wtype-limits -Wunused-but-set-parameter -Wvla -Wwrite-strings -Wpointer-arith \
  -Wlogical-op -gdwarf-2 -gstrict-dwarf -fno-omit-frame-pointer -g -O2 -U_FORTIFY_SOURCE -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=0
c_10001.c:7061:5: error: stray ‘\20’ in program
     �x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f,
     ^
c_10001.c:7061:6: error: ‘x003f’ undeclared here (not in a function)
     �x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f, 0x003f,
      ^
Makefile:292: recipe for target 'c_10001.o' failed
make[1]: *** [c_10001.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/tmp/wine-1.8.5/libs/wine'
Makefile:21917: recipe for target 'libs/wine' failed
make: *** [libs/wine] Error 2

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Edit: Running Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, and Wine 1.8.5

Edited by homemadejam
Additional Info

Or also there is a 1.8 or 1.9 version called "wine-stagging" it already contain some gaming patches and PSO works just fine with that version. You can find that wine version in the Ubuntu repositories ( Im not sure wish one since I don't use Ubuntu)

• 1 month later...