With So Many New Games, Why Still Play PSO?

I found out why I still play PSO:BB today, and I was quite happy.

I realized the hunt for rares reminds me of when I was a kid and played some Trading Card Games (Pokémon, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc).

Getting a pack of cards and finding that one Ultra-Rare, Double Foil Holographic card was the most exciting thing.

When I first started playing PSO, it took me forever to find my first rare, but when I did, I was more excited than ever.

Now that I know the drop charts, there are only a few drops that provide that nostalgic excitement....like, for example, my first Red Ring.

My friend and I were playing a TTF, and I said "Wouldn't it be awesome if we saw our first RR?"
And we keep joking about how we would react, and then I saw a Red box. I sat over it, looking at the name of the item in the bottom right before grabbing it.

He and I were in the same room, mouth agate, staring at each other thinking "Holy crap, that ACTUALLY just happened."

My character name at the time was Bert, so when I saw the banner after picking it up, we started shouting

"BERT GOT A RED RING!

BERT GOT A RED RING!

BERT GOT A RED RING!

BERT GOT A RED RING!

BERT GOT A RED RING!

WOOOOOOOOOO!

WOOOOOOOOOO!

WOOOOOOOOOO!

WOOOOOOOOOO!"

And to this day, PSO still finds a way to make my heart race in excitement.

TVyHs.jpg

So, Ultima, my question to you is, what still drives you to play PSO?

• Like 3

I agree with you the hunting rare is one of the most exciting feeling ever when you achieve your goal, but its never enough with only one. :onion119:

To be honest, definently the online appeal. Yes, I've played offline for many years. But it gets reaaally boring. So very... repetitive.

Gathering friends together to help you kill Falz a good 50 times for that 1 Red Ring... Never gets old for me. I've had a lot of good laughs from this game, and that's what keeps bringing me back for more and more.

To me, it's not just the game... It's the people that bring you back for one adventure after another. The complete randomness that a another thinking, feeling and open book of a person brings to the game is always a fascinating aspect and keeps the game fresh, for me anyway! It's why I love to help n00bs in this game, you drop in and turn their world upside down, most of the time in a good way, haha! Sometimes I feel like Santa Claus, because I love to hand out my spare rares to help them progress faster, as well as power level them in a TTF or RT run. :onion120:

One of the greatest experiences I had recently was helping two young female players who were FOs (with my FO, Triforcer of course haha) along with a HUcast that I helped through the mines area in EP1. I protected, helped them survive even at low levels and taught them as much as I could in the time we had. When it came time to face De Rol Le, I taught them to use Rafoie on him to destroy him quick and man, it was awesome to see all three of us FOs (and DuxRyu the HUcast) absolutely destroy De Rol Le in almost record time. I had a good laugh after that boss fight, congratulated them and afterwards gave them a few rares as a reward of which they about fell out in disbelief and in thanks, along with a bunch of meseta. Good times man... :onion-head11:

Edited by Trigunman
  • Like 1

Ah it's all about picking up chicks hmm, trigun? x)

Quickly adding it's just a joke before I get the image of being a sexist macho D:

Heh, you don't understand Chuk... I view and treat women in general very differently than most guys these days. (and yes I got the joke, ha!) It's because I grew up with a fraternal twin sister, of whom I am still rather close to this day... (and also because of her triplet daughters, my nieces for that matter, that I love and cherish as my own children) So yea, I have a heart for mentoring younger players, be they male or female for that matter. :D

Edited by Trigunman