Laptop?

zoom

Hi. I need to upgrade my laptop. It somehow runs pso worse than other games. Also when compiling non trivial stuff it takes forever.
Any recommendations? Or should I just get a desktop?

Desktop will be more bang for your buck. Luckily if you do buy a laptop, PSO can be run on almost anything since it is such an old game. It's mostly dependent on your processor as far as I know. 

Depends what you would intend to do with the laptop.

Is it just for PSO?

Are you confident upgrading hardware?

There are many cheap used laptops that will work great for PSO with minor upgrades (SSD on old laptop is probably #1)

If you must get a laptop, get something with a decent, separate graphics card built-in or an higher end APU from AMD that can handle it.

A modestly spec'ed out desktop will typically outperform most laptops in gaming, a decent graphics card is always a must...  Although I must say I'm starting to seriously recommend a solidstate harddrive to speed up loading times and overall system responsiveness.

Bottom line, you typically get what you pay for, while laptops are getting cheaper all the time, desktops will always be typically more powerful, run cooler, be far more flexible for future upgrades and offer more room for bigger, more powerful hardware...  Of course, assuming you get a big enough case to put it all in there.

For laptops, I'd stick to more known and reliable brands/models that have offerings leaning towards gamers and/or power users, but ultimately you may be better off building a desktop at that price point.

If you build a machine, pcpartpicker.com is a great place to start researching.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by Trigunman

Thx all. Right now I've got a 4 year old laptop with 4gb ram and separate gfx. It runs stuff like payday and LoL ok but somehow struggles with pso. Maybe its the settings I use. When compiling with visual studio it can take over 10mins.

I'll look into getting something with a faster processor, ssd and better gfx. Be it laptop or desktop.

Edited by zoom
a word

1 hour ago, zoom said:

Thx all. Right now I've got a 4 year old laptop with 4gb ram and separate gfx. It runs stuff like payday and LoL ok but somehow struggles with pso. Maybe its the settings I use. When compiling with visual studio it can take over 10mins.

I'll look into getting something with a faster processor, ssd and better gfx. Be it laptop or desktop.

Nice.

Odd it doesn't run correctly on something [only] 4 years old when it very new as far as PSO requirements.

What settings are you using in launcher for graphics?

15 hours ago, nnorton44 said:

Nice.

Odd it doesn't run correctly on something [only] 4 years old when it very new as far as PSO requirements.

What settings are you using in launcher for graphics?

I'm curious to find out exactly what kind of graphics card's in his laptop.

If it's some Intel card that would explain alot, I'd just about use anything over any Intel graphics card.(here's looking at you 3DFX!)

Heavy 3d rendering/gaming on Intel HD cards still pretty much sucks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-6480G.55685.0.html

The AMD Radeon HD 6480G is an integrated processor graphics card for entry level laptops. It is integrated in the lower mid-range Llano APUs (A4 Series, e.g. A4-3300M) and offers 240 of the 400 shader cores clocked at 400MHz. It offers no dedicated graphics memory (shared memory graphics card) and is therefore slower than similar Radeon HD 6000M cards.

An exception is the HD 6480G in the AMD A4-3305G where it only features 160 Shader but a higher core clock of 593 MHz. However, we expect this version to be slower than the 240 shader versions.

The new UVD3 video decoder supports the decoding of MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, Flash and now also Multi-View Codec (MVC) and MPEG-4 part 2 (DivX, xVid) HD videos on the graphics card.

The performance of the Radeon 6480G should be in the entry level class of dedicated graphics cards. According to a benchmark by AMD, the 6480G positions itself between the HD 6370M and the HD 6470M. In our gaming benchmarks, the HD 6480G is only on the level of a slow Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics card. Therefore, modern games like Anno 2070 are playable only in minimum detail settings and low resolutions. Some demanding games like Battlefield 3 wont be playable at all.

Yep there you have it...