Game Closes after 1 second of being open after clicking 'Start Game'

vonpuppin

Hi, my game is immediately crashing upon startup. I click Start Game in the launcher and the game will pop up for a moment, with just a black screen, then close.

I'm on Windows 10 Laptop, I have an intel card as well as an nvidia 960M (i've installed the latest drivers for both and attempted to use both to run the game), 16gig of ram, and an i7

Here is everything I have tried:
Restarting Computer     Reinstalling PSO   Downloaded and am using the New Launcher that Soly posted    Attempted using every combination of Resolution, Color setting, Windowed/Fullscreen/Virtual Fullscreen, Word Wrap, and V-sync possible, as well as changing the resolution of my display itself to match PSO

Added PSOBB.exe to the DEP, added an Exception in windows defender for PSOBB,exe and Launcher.exe as well as completely turning it off, running both the launcher as an admin(which makes it not launch, oddly enough) and PSOBB.exe as an admin

I added an exception to my Firewall for the Launcher.exe and PSOBB.exe, as well as completely turning it off

I saw an error file in the logs which produces this after attempting to play the game (Keep in mind no error message appears when the game closes):

Error : Can't find DisplayMode
Error : Can't use format [D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8]

Error : Can't find DisplayMode
Error : Can't use format [D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8]

I have been tackling this for around 6 hours now, so some help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys.

- Ben T.

Edit: I forgot, I also troubleshooted compatibility settings and changed them including windows XP, windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, changing the resolution of the computer to 800x600, and running as admin for PSOBB.exe

Edited by vonpuppin

i think that you need to change your display resolution, like create a *new* display with a new configuration, i remenber have to do that to play call of dutty in my old laptop, that was because of full sceen mode that messed up laptop. only that i was able to play and game not close after i start it

Edited by Ricardo Gomes

10 hours ago, Soly said:

Is there a way for you to disable the dedicated GPU and run the game only with the integrated one?

Yes, I've tried running the game with both my integrated card and my nvidia gpu. I've even tried fully disabling each and then running the game at different resolutions. None worked unfortunately, the same thing happens.

11 hours ago, Ricardo Gomes said:

i think that you need to change your display resolution, like create a *new* display with a new configuration, i remenber have to do that to play call of dutty in my old laptop, that was because of full sceen mode that messed up laptop. only that i was able to play and game not close after i start it

I've also tried this, If im understanding you right. I changed the resolution of my computer to match PSO, including as low as 800x600. I then ran the game, and it still closed immediately.

48 minutes ago, vonpuppin said:

Yes, I've tried running the game with both my integrated card and my nvidia gpu. I've even tried fully disabling each and then running the game at different resolutions. None worked unfortunately, the same thing happens.

I've also tried this, If im understanding you right. I changed the resolution of my computer to match PSO, including as low as 800x600. I then ran the game, and it still closed immediately.

Try changing the game resolution and texture settings from the launcher.

8 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Try changing the game resolution and texture settings from the launcher.

As I said in my post, I already tried changing the resolution of the game itself from the launcher. I did however try low resolution textures, but that didn't work.