Hello Everyone! Noob player getting back into PSO! :)

retrorampage

Hey everyone!  So I'll introduce myself, I'm RetroRampage, and I'm a fan of Phantasy Star Online.

I'm no expert on the series by any means, but I remember when I was pretty young, I played the PC version of PSOU, and around 4 years ago or so, I actually played PSOv2 on the dreamcast, and I've really been a huge fan since then.  The gameplay of this series is phenomenal.  I'm normally not a fan of jrpgs, but the way this game is designed really had me hooked.  My favorite part about the gameplay is the rhytmatic (I think that would be the right word..?) way you need to attack enemies.  Like this isn't a hack and slash, and you can't spam, you have to time your button presses correctly, or you won't attack at all, and I LOVE that!

With all of this said though, while I did play PSOv2 to the end of the story mode, I've never experienced episode 2, or 4.  I'm still pretty much a noob to the franchise. Now that I'm getting back into the game again, could any of you guys give me some pointers?  Right now I have 4 characters, my best being a RAmar lv. 40.  I completed all of the dungeons in episode 1 no problem, and am working on the goverment missions, but from this version of the game(blue burst), I have noticed a complete lack of a narrative, other than the starting cutscene.  So jumping into episode 2 for the first time I had NO idea what I was doing, or where I was going.  I don't even know where I need to go to get to the stages!  

Even though I completed episode 1 as well, there is what seems a ton of content I never experienced that is in this version.  Like the ZANBACON I got from an enemy, or even when I went into hard mode of the first time, I got a Booma's right arm..  I don't remember any of this from the original dreamcast release! 

I realize many of you being experts of PSO must hear all of this a lot, but if you guys could give me some tips, or even some links to help point me in the right direction, I'd be so thankful.  And before I go, I would also like to know, how much of the game is locked out to me?  What I mean by that, is that I'm mostly a single player, and sometimes play with a close friend of mine, and I know the game is built to have around 4 players..  is there stuff I'm mission out on for only having 1-2 players?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this, and I'm really hoping to get the most out of playing this game!  I love pso, I'm just clueless to many aspects of the game.

Welcome! If you ever see me in lobby, give me a holler and we'll do some ep2.  That's my favorite episode, and I'd love to play with you sometime.

• Like 1

Welcome to ultima, this server has a few new quests and lots of new gear to enjoy.

This thread can help out checking some stats and knowing about the new gear 

Any other questions you can always ask on the shoutbox or pm me.

Hi there! I'm started out in a similar position to you. The short answer to your question is NO, you won't miss out on much playing alone you can do all the quests solo even the ones that are usually only multiplayer. There are some special modes that you cant do alone like Challange mode and battle mode; challange mode is like a time trial/puzzle solving mode for prizes and battle mode is PvP.

I know you said you play alone, but if you're an old time fan and speak fluent English I'm really looking for more friends! ^_^

Have a great time here!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  I'm glad to see that this community is nice to new players.  Things like that are what make me happy to be part of a community, so hopefully I can stick around for a while, haha!  But as for all of the offers for playing with people, I'm a bit of an antisocial person, and never really played PSO with anyone, other than my close friend, who really doesn't like to play that much.  I'd love to try out playing with other people some time, but don't expect me to use a mic for a while..

1 hour ago, retrorampage said:

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!  I'm glad to see that this community is nice to new players.  Things like that are what make me happy to be part of a community, so hopefully I can stick around for a while, haha!  But as for all of the offers for playing with people, I'm a bit of an antisocial person, and never really played PSO with anyone, other than my close friend, who really doesn't like to play that much.  I'd love to try out playing with other people some time, but don't expect me to use a mic for a while..

^,.,^ Playing with other people is a whole nother experiance.  And don't worry about mic or w.e almost everyone i know uses typed chat.

@archreil

There are quests that you can't  complete solo. Both in the sense that they are too hard and in the sense that you cant get to the finish.