Controller Fully Functional via Pinnacle Game Profiler

I'd like to request this topic be pinned/sticky. So far this is the best means I have found of fully unlocking the controller keys to give you access to any combination.

It takes a 360 controller (or theoretically any other controller) and sends keyboard commands through the buttons pressed. Ergo the Xbox 360 symbol could be mapped to keyboard button zero, which you have telepipe set to. Ergo your home button is now your teleport home button.

However, there are a few drawbacks.

1. PGP (Pinnacle Game Profiler) has a 20-day free trial, the full version costs $20 for a lifetime license. I'm sure that wont bother the more nefarious of the games though.

2. This is a 'combat design'. By that I mean, obviously you won't be able to do things like carry on a full conversation with the keyboard. It also has minimal functionality when in the ship. You can walk, however scrolling up/down menus will not be easy, if at all possible with the default configuration I've provided. However, with some tweaks I (or someone else) could probably design a setup that works while inside the ship at the cost of only a few keys in a 'combat' scenario.

3. PGP gets a little special ed sometimes and the game crashes if you open the game after PGP. Open PGP THEN the game when possible (as best I can tell anyway).

Tldr; The D-pad up/down are mapped to things like keys 1 and 3 to be able to cast spells. Thus they cannot act like a traditional up/down key press for menu navigation.

If I end up making a second 'all purpose' setup, or if someone donates a config file with that info, I'll modify the original post or include it in the follow post for easy reference.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The settings used were as follows for anyone who wishes to manually recreate and customize their own setup.

Game profile is set to "psobb.exe".
*Hook is installed.

Checked:

Do not start the game executable file when profile is launched

**Block game from reading the controller with native support

NOT checked:
Launch as persistent profile

Apply profile to other executable files in the same location

*(From what I recall of my limited programming. A hook often intercepts keystrokes before they get to the program. And in this case, replaces them with your desired key. Do not be alarmed if your anti-virus flags something because of this).

**This means that if you shutdown PGP, the game will automatically revert to using its natural controller setup. It is somewhat buggy and I had to fully shutdown PGP so that it did not automatically reactivate and override the native game controls

***VERY IMPORTANT, When assigning keyboard keys to your buttons, after doing so; Left click > Set DirectX Override > Game Read (current status) > Allow Read. It will NOT work without this over ride enabled for EACH KEY.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two natural ways to set this up.

1. Have one Pinnacle PSOBB profile. Ergo your left trigger will ALWAYS be attached to (random example) Keyboard button 1. For each class you then just put whatever spell/skill you want in slot 1 for that left trigger.
Pros: Only one PGP profile is needed
Cons: If you do decide to use keyboard, things may be in an odd to reach or control situation

2. Setup all of your game characters as normal, then create a PGP profile to match that individual character.
Pros: Can easily switch in/out from keyboard to controller and vice versa
Cons: Takes much longer to setup

http://archives.dcemulation.org/www.psobb.com/www.psobb.com/downloads/images/keyboard.gif This keyboard information should be quite useful to anyone wishing to create a custom keyboard mapping for a controller.

(Files not currently attached or linked, to be added at a later date. I may try to get PGP to add them to their profile auto downloader.)

Edited by nunnbt473
  • Like 2

Ive got the technical of it all figured out, I just can't figure out right now what would be the most effective play/controller style.

OK. I have three semi-default configurations based on a standard 360 controller. *Thinks*, for those inquiring minds who want to know, if you choose a 360 controller for PC gaming I highly recommend a wired one. PCs/Games have a tendency to not like the wireless version. Other controllers should be compatible, but as I dont have any on hand to test with/setup, I cannot confirm which do and which don't.

My current setups: I tried to keep things like right bumper as the ctrl/toggle and X/A/B the same as the left/down/right to avoid confusion.

Compatible, works great (as much as it can, not accounting for chat) while in the ship and in menus. Easy to scroll up/down..etc.

Standard. Gives more buttons than compatible for combat scenarios. However, still keeps the dpad up/down intact for menu rotation.

Combat. Basically it only walks while in the ship, but once you get into the 'game', you have aprox 17 buttons for spells/skills. (Basically all of what is on your keyboard)

Multi. Still in the design phase, I am trying to set it up the left bumper to rotate between compatible and combat. It started to feel like a hammer to the skull, hence why I decided to let you guys decide what is the most ideal configuration.

There are also other programs like Xpadder and Joy to Key that do extremely similar functions, this particular program just happens to be what I am most familiar with and find to be (mostly) user friendly.

What I need from you (the community) are ideas for controller setups. Think in terms of applying any existing keyboard command to any controller button. Infact, even think in 3D!!! I can assign a button (such as the 360 symbol or the left bumper) to rotate between schemes. Which means you could have 2 (or more) controller configs. The first left trigger = keyboard button 1, right trigger = 2. Tap bumper and now left trigger = 3, right trigger = 4.

Available keys on a standard 360 controller. X (left), A (down), B (right), Y (up), start, select, Xbox symbol, bumper left, bumper right, trigger left, trigger right, joystick left (clicks down of course), joystick right, dpad up/down/left/right.

PGP also has a lovely feature where it will show me a visual of the layout once I am done without all the other controls in the way for easy previewing. So if I get say 25 designs, itll be easy to flip through some pictures so people can figure out what controller setup they want.

PSOBB_360_Controller.png

http://s16.postimg.org/9afl4zk0l/PSOBB_360_Controller.png

LET THE DESIGNS BEGIN!

Edited by nunnbt473
  • Like 1

Good work, but I'm sure there must be free alternatives to this program. I've seen a couple of open-source drivers for game pads floating on the net that can easily be tweaked with little programming knowledge. I will add this guide to the useful links topic but to get it pinned I feel it needs a bit more player interaction. There are already so many pinned topics that we try to only pin down the most relevant ones.

• Like 1

I use a normal 360 controller set up with PSO's "gamepad config", then I use joy2key and map RT as enter, LT as 1, LS as 2, RS as 3, d-pad up as 4, and d-pad down as 5. This lets you still be able to scroll in menus with the d-pad and you can create rooms and make the room name a bunch of numbers and use RT to hit enter. You can also shortcut in a word to type as one of the buttons but it's slightly less practical. Also using the in-game control pad setup, you can lightly hold the left stick to walk slowly, not a big deal, but you do lose that functionality mapping the left stick to wasd

Edited by exodus2645

Well, I went out looking for a pad program because I found the in-game one to be lacking.

Xpadder is good, however it is pay without trial. If memory serves it is for use with one controller? Its website also requires your email.

Joy to Key is alright, but is a $7 pay with free trial. It has multiple configurations support. The major downside is when I plug in my controller it just says Button 1.. then requests a command/keystroke to attach to it. I have no way of easily telling if Button 1 is A, Start or Left Trigger. So initially setting it up is an extremely time consuming thing. Tweaking it can also be confusing for the same reason.

One of the things I noticed while using PGP is that setting my pad to the action palette left/right..etc was not as effective as setting it to BACKSPACE END ENTER. This allowed me to navigate in-game menus easier.

In one of my many attempts at creating a 'good' configuration I tried several things.

Using Dpad left/right for spells and leaving up/down and my (PS4 X/360 A) key as enter and the (O/B) as my cancel, as enter/cancel also double as action palette commands.

The more I started switching controls around I quickly realized two things. Having the ability to quick shift between configurations was going to give me the most flexibility and options for spell /ability / item usage in combat. It also became increasingly easier to get mixed up since nothing on screen changed to notify me which configuration I was using.

I found it advantageous to have config A for ship movement and B for combat, however I found great need for a heal button to be on both configurations. Nothing worse than thinking youre in combat mode, hitting heal and accidentally opening a pipe and having your corpse fall on top of it. Especially if you're in Falz and everyone else is out of moons ;(.

Actually I'm glad you posted because, at least for the short term, I have to recall my endorsement for the program because of the multiple configuration (hot swap) having internal errors causing it to shut off randomly. Very annoying to tab out, hit play again and then get back into the game. It also has an almost identical, yet different "shift mode" which is basically a 2nd form of hot swap, however.. you cannot use the same button to rotate between configurations, there by taking at least 1 more button away from what is usable in game/combat.

It would seem its being developed / supported by a single individual and realistically he just can't keep up with it all right now. He is making efforts though, so I am sure eventually it'll come around.

joy2key is free with the option of donating. Also set up your controller with the native in game controller config, I don't map most buttons on my controller, I use pso's native controller support for a, b, x, y, start, back, rb, lb, and moving (but not clicking) the two sticks, as well as scrolling with the dpad. I only map the unused buttons on joy2key as well as also mapping dpad up and down, this allows for full game control including scrolling through menus, pausing the game, and exiting menus and stuff. Also if you want to map every button you could possibly want, you can set up a profile (profile1) and when hitting a certain button (LT maybe) it will switch to profile2, then on profile2, hitting LT will switch to profile3 and so on. Just make sure your last profile switches back to profile1 again.