Weird connection failure?

genkidene

Hi there!

Old veteran PSO-player here since the dreamcast era. I was feeling nostalgic so I decided to start playing my all-time favorite online game again.

However, when I installed the game, everything works as it should all up to the phase where you connect to the ships.

My registration is complete and I've downloaded the patch that installs automatically when connecting for the first time.

I've aldready created the RAcast that I'm going to play with. So I was all ready to begin a joyous era of nostalgia.

However, when I've selected my character and I'm promted into the loading screen where you can move the orb around with the mouse - after a couple of seconds the game just stops. The image freezes and the background music and all sound effects stops.

Sooo... what to do?

That tends to happen to me sometimes; but I remedied that by actually finding the online.exe file in the programs and running it as administrator.

Does the game crash and give you an error message?

• Like "PsoBB.exe has stopped working..."

Are you running the game in Administrator mode?

Is your firewall/antivirus blocking some parts of the game?

Can you check that you have all the PC REQUIREMENTS or better?

• Operating System: Windows 98SE / Me / 2000 / XP [XP recommended] / Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8
  • Processor: Pentium III,
  • 700 MHz [Pentinum 4, 1.4GHz or above recommended]
  • Graphics Card: Direct3D compatible, 3D graphics board, minimum 32 MB VRAM
  • Supported Cards: NVIDIA:GeForce 3/3Ti200/3Ti500, 4Ti4200,FX5200/5600/5900
  • ATI: RADEON 8500/8500LE/9600PRO/9800PRO
  • Sound Card: DirectSound compatible
  • DirectX: DirectX 9.0b or above
  • Internet Connection Speed: 256kbps

I used the installer from this website. Every update/patch have been downloaded and applied accordingly. No error message pops up, the game just freezes when the game connects to the servers ships.

I'm using MacBook Pro 9,2 with Crossover software that makes the mac act as if it were a PC with DirectX 9.something.

I think there might be a problem with the cross over software itself; but I am not very knowledable on macs. Have you tried just the standard dual booting windows thingy?

Only person I know that uses Mac plays PSOBB on windows.

Edited by squish

I think there might be a problem with the cross over software itself; but I am not very knowledable on macs. Have you tried just the standard dual booting windows thingy?

Only person I know that uses Mac plays PSOBB on windows.

I want to try using the dual boot thing but I don't have a Windows license - I'm not so rich since I'm a student xD

If I can't get it to work I guess I have to dust off my old PC laptop that I used to play PSO BB on a long time ago while SEGA still had its servers on.

However, I'd like to play during recess in school and carrying two laptops every day to school seems kind of ... a pain in the ass. I hate that the school only uses Apple software >_>*

Edited by genkidene

PSOBB doesn't work on apple, you might want to download a virtual machine with windows on it to run it. Or yeah, dual boot.