Max resolution crashes game?

K_I_R_E_E_K

It's like this, i can play with antialising or not and i can pick the resolution.

If i have anti alising off i can use any resolution (haven't tested the highest one possible)

Now i always want more so i decided to use anti alising, the game becomes unplayable, even with a low resolution the game slows down alot, using the higher ones makes windows XP almost unusable (takes a while for the task manager to apear to kill the process), but something has happened with the highest setting (1600x1200), the game was actually alot faster then the other resolutions, unfortunatly i don't know why this happens, teoricly it would make the game even slower but it doesn't.

Now, i want to take some specific pics and that may require for me to enter areas, but for some odd reason the only thing i can do is to create a game and apear in pionner 2, once i load an area like temple the game loads and crashes.

So i like to know 2 thinks, why did performace increase 1000% when the resolution was maxed and why would the game crash when i load an area in max resolution?

Pic in max resolution + anti alising

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/7299/ps...80917252110.png

take off anti-alising the game should run normally at the higher resolutions, anti-alising for some reason slows the game down as you are trying to make it run with smoother frame, which in return makes this problem occur, with out the alising the game loads the basic frames to animate and does it with average-high rates which makes the game run faster and only goes slow on some aeras of the game.

take off anti-alising the game should run normally at the higher resolutions, anti-alising for some reason slows the game down as you are trying to make it run with smoother frame, which in return makes this problem occur, with out the alising the game loads the basic frames to animate and does it with average-high rates which makes the game run faster and only goes slow on some aeras of the game.

Then why the game runs faster when the resolution is maxed?

640x480 + antialising is alot slower then 1600x1200 + antialising

Yes, i have loaded temple with antialising on, took me a few minutes to actually enter pso, create a game and then warp to the temple but i did it. (did it at 640x480)

Current situation:

All resolutions: game runs great

Almost every resolution + antialising: major slowdown, all areas can be loaded

1600x1200 + antialising: no slwodowns, areas can't be loaded

• 4 weeks later...

well first of all your refresh rate, refresh rate capabilities of ur screen along with the capablities of ur pso refresh rate they all have to balance out to be compatable with each other and when u enable a function like antialising which is supposed to help if ur having problems with frame rates then it takes its toll on ur resources. its not a necessity its more of a last resort for pple who are running slow FPS. for example my refresh rate on my desktop is 70 but my games is only 60 so in increments of a number based upon compatabilities of my hardware with each other my end fps is only 15 when the 60 and 70 have to change to match up with each other i can use this function to increase it to 50 fps when it takes more cpu resources from pso.

fps= frames per second

refresh rate is how many times per second ur screen will post a stationary pic when u get 70 pics flashing per second it looks like things are moving more or less a fps for ur computer screen, thats y they have to sync with each other.

im assuming u can use this function but u dont have enough resources to consume to increase ur fps, at least with the settings u have.

A few questions:

1. Are you trying this in Fullscreen or Windowed Mode?

2. Are you enabling the Anti Aliasing with your graphics card's menu or is there another way you are doing it?

3. When exactly does the game crash? Is it while bursting into the area, or shortly afterward?

4. When the game crashes, is it the vista.exe / psobb.exe crash? If not, what kind of crash is it?

5. What graphics card / operating system are you using?

1. window mode

2. i enable the AA on the graphic card menu, there is no other way

3/4. i can enter pionner, but that's it, when i enter in a area the loading freezes and pso bb encounters an error and must be closed, this does not happen if:

- i lower resolution (game becomes unplayable)

- i remove AA

5. Windows xp SP2, ati radeon x1600

With that card I assume you use the catalyst control center. Are you utilizing crossfire with that card, if so is your monitor connected to your primary or linked card? (It actually does make a difference in some cases)

Have you tried AA 2 - 16x with the same results on all of them?

It still seems odd to me that it isn't working right for you, perhaps you should try enabling frame skip and see if it helps at all.

Yes, i use CCC, i only have 1 card and my monitor is directly connected to it.

Once i get my computer back i will try AA 2x and 4x (i don't have more options exept 2x,4x or 6x)

Once i will try your suggestions, it's no big deal, i just find funny that the game doesn't work at the only resolution where the game runs smooth (it's obvious that without AA any resolution works, but i love AA for some one good reason)

Edited by K_I_R_E_E_K