Virus Detection upon opening the game

Xonz

Hi, i'm new to this site but not to the game. I got a virus detection (AVG Antivirus 9.0) once i finished installing the game and upon hitting "Start Game" and yes i didn't download the game from anywhere else, i used the download link on the main website "www.phantasystaronline.net" i don't know if it's safe to try and play it or if this is normal, hopefully someone nice enough would help me out. Thank you ^^.

Virus info on the AVG pop-up:

File name: c:\Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst\ PsoBB.exe

Threat name: Virus Found Win32/Heur

Detected on open.

P.S.: of course when i hit "Move to vault" the game doesn't work anymore.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like both of you haven't been informed that this is a false positive.

PSOBB has Gameguard coding and they are known for using modified viruses to protect their games.

Since this is an older Gameguard, most if not all Antivirus' will treat it as a virus even though it isn't.

Solution:

Tell your Antivirus to ignore it, especially AVG.

They have an outstanding antivirus system but its way too cautious, and most program security companies don't include a code tag that tells AVG its not a virus.

This isn't the only game that AVG, MCaffee, and Norton have made a false positive on.

• 3 months later...

im haveing this same problem...eve though i tell AVG to make an exception...it still says its found an infected file :P

[HELP!!]

Well you AVG is not listen to you .. try to do a exeption for the whole directory of the game.