Game won't run after patching...

starlight

Hello all, been trying to get this going for the past two days but it's just not working.

I downloaded the game and the launcher, I set my resolution and start the game and everything works fine. Log into the game, the game patches then tells me it's going to exit and restart.

I start the game again and it crashes as soon as I hit the button. I know it's not the resolution because the game just launched and patched itself with no problem 2 minutes ago.

If I uninstall the game and reinstall it, it works just fine until I patch the game and then it starts crashing again after the game has been patched...

Someone help?

If all fails, try to make a copy of your psobb.exe, remove it from the pso folder and rename your psobb.pat to psobb,exe, patch the game and try again to enter. Make sure nothing blocks the connection.

Did you run the launcher as admin?

Yes with no success. :(

Have you tried disabling your firewall before the patch? That may mess things up on the initial patch.

Definitely not a Firewall issue on my end, but it was a good suggesstion. :(

If all fails, try to make a copy of your psobb.exe, remove it from the pso folder and rename your psobb.pat to psobb,exe, patch the game and try again to enter. Make sure nothing blocks the connection.

No luck with this, the same exact thing happens, it crashes as soon as I hit start, It won't even launch the game to attempt to patch after I patch for the first time.

If it helps, the cPsOw in the folder successfully launches the game, but completely freezes the game and says that server connection has failed when I attempted to go online.

Meanwhile, PsoBB and PSOBw crash as soon as they are used, as well as the launcher (old) and launcher (new) when I attempt to launch the game using those.

I guess I should have said this from the start but I don't use any anti-virus or firewall, and I have Windows Firewall completely disabled, so it's not a anti-virus or firewall issue. I've never had DEP enabled so that is not an issue either.

The closest I've gotten to playing is from the guide in the link that you gave me on the 2nd page that says to completely stop using online.exe, the patcher, and only using the option button once, but whenever I log into the game the game keeps downloading the same patch, stopping me from getting into the game. This is what's happening.

1. Install Phantasy Star Online, Unclick the Launch Button and Exit.

2. Open the PSO folder and start PSOBB.exe, game launches as usual and patches the normal patches and closes.

3. Open the PSO folder and start PSOBB.exe, game launches as usual and patches something new, PSOBB.pat and closes. (The same thing happens if I use PSOBW, the game patches PSOBW.pat, and closes.)

4. Now whenever I launch PSOBB.exe, the game starts up fine but as soon as I log in and hit start game, it downloads the same patch over and over again.

I know if I run either launcher or touch the options, that the game will go back to crashing whenever I launch, so this is where I'm stuck at the moment. Whenever you change options with the launcher, it creates a new PSOBW or PSOBB, which returns the game back to its crash on launch state, so I'm trying to avoid using the launcher or the option button at the moment because I've at least isolated that this is a primary issue.

I have noticed that the New Launcher does not create a new PSOBW or PSOBB, but because of this, I get the same problem where the game watches to keep patching PSOBB.pat and PSOBW.pat, so my choices seem to be :

1. Use the launcher/options that come with the installation and crash endlessly on startup.

2. Use the new launcher and download the same patches endlessly on log in.

One way I've gotten close to being able to get to playis by either removing PSOBB/PSOBW from the folder immediately after installing and patching the game, then putting them back in the folder without touching the options button. When I do this, the game actually launches but immediately crashes, instead of "PSOBB stopped working" as soon as I click the button. So I get to see the window for the game pop up before it crashes, so I gain about 2 seconds of happiness before disappointment this way.

Either way I'm still completely unable to play, although I've managed to get closer, still no success on my end.

Edited by starlight

So after the 6th time of trying the same thing, it actually let me make it to the character select screen, I'm not sure what I changed, but instead of patching again it actually logged in.

I'm going to see if I'm able to consistently log in or if I'm going to have this difficulty every time I log in.

Update: Still able to log in and out an hour later, not sure what I did right but I'm not complaining.

Edited by starlight
  • Like 1