Online.exe takes a long time to open.

Magechaos

The issue is that they either don't run online.exe in administrator mode or use a non supported resolution which causes the game to crash before it even starts. So I tell them this because it makes them able to play again until there is a fix for this.

Someone who just starts out doesn't want to mess with resolution settings. They just wanna run the game. An error message that pops up when using the wrong resolution would solve a great deal of problems and make it so I wouldn't have to say this to them in the first place.

Can i Hijack this while you guys are talking about it and ask why my game might not launch on certain resolutions? In fact, on this new (few year old) gaming laptop I got, it runs on nothing but 1280 x 720.

No 1600, 1980, etc.

it's a decent laptop, win 7 64 bit, 4 gigs ram, 1920x1200 monitor, and a geforce 9800m GTS. It shouldn't be an issue at those resolutions, right?

Here is something I found in the 'error' log:

Error : Can't find DisplayMode
Error : Can't use format [D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8]
Error : Can't find DisplayMode
Error : Can't use format [D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8]
Edited by Tonezorz

to run at some resolutions those must be supported, so for example 1920x1080 should draw on your panel, as long as the os and card support it, i was working on some diagnostic tool to show supported resolutions, I could post it here if it would help.

Forgive me, I understand that you can't do that. I just mean if you know of something I can do. I can't imagine the card couldn't support those resolutions. I'm seeing people talk about direct X versions could be an issue with this. Does anything like that sound plausible?

I'm trying a fresh install of windows and the game now, to try and iron this out.

Thanks for the res tool!

that tool should tell you what programs actually see in reguards to resolutions pso wants to use and can on your system

ec5m.png

sometimes it repeats the same res a few times, because i haven't ironed out some filters yet for different frequencies

Edited by Lee

Thank you.

I'm surprised at how few resolutions my card actually supports! I suppose I'll keep experimenting with drivers and things to see if that changes. Don't know enough about these things I guess.

Thank you for your help.

testres.png

Now I've run into another issue where the latest Nvidia driver causes this:

testres2.png

1080 is no longer supported, replaced by 1200. Game crashes now when selecting 1080 as the resolution, where with the older graphics driver it did not.