Pthalo

Hi Everybody, Pthalo here--

And I've done something impulsive again! After a series of events, I've purchased a skateboard from the dreaded poser citadel that is Zumiez. So, if you've got the time, pull up a chair, friend! This is sure to be a doozy.

At my new job at an undisclosed University, there are several ways for the staff to get around. Depending on one's department, you're allowed either Golf Carts, Utility Vehicles, or 12-Passenger Vans. The department that I work in is the IT sector-- we have to use Golf Carts. The caveat? There's only two of them. Being the new guy, I usually don't get out in time to hire one out-- so I  have to hoof-it across campus to fix stuff or attend training. After a few instances of this, I got to thinking: What if I brought my own transportation? ...Enter my unrequited love for skate culture. When I was a kid I had a skateboard, but not a real one. My folks got it for me at a bazaar out in Grand Prairie from a weirdo vendor with a toothy grin. The colors on it were neon and fantastic, but the thing rolled like crap.  The deck had no concave to speak of, plus it was heavier than the Zig-Zags' debut album. Looking back, this is probably why my normally very concerned parents were completely okay with me having this particular skateboard. My friends in the neighborhood all had skateboards, too-- but theirs were nicer: Most of the guys were into World Industries or Toy Machine at the time. Since my board wasn't really functional, I would basically sit on my board while my friends cobbled together tricks that they'd seen. It was awesome-- they truly lived, and I wished I could live, too. One of the shadier effects of a sheltered childhood is that you find yourself revisiting the stuff you weren't allowed to experience back then. So, I bought a Santa Cruz "Cruzer" with these specs:

-65mm Road Riders 
-Abec-3 Generic Bearings
-Bullet Trucks
-1/4'' Risers
-'Classic' Shaped Screaming Hand Deck

It rides pretty nice, BUT-- I have no clue where to get more Road Riders, and suspect that they are Santa Cruz OEM equipment with no aftermarket. I saw some Acids with matching diameter-- but I wasn't sure if they were any good or not. At this point all I care about is becoming more competent at cruising and not slamming horrendously in front of onlookers. I have lots of questions, but I'll ask them when the time comes. I've only been on campus once or twice with the thing, and no one's seen me. I'm eventually going to wrack up the nerve to try it when other people are around-- like for lunch or something. 

To close out,  I'll open it up to anyone else who skates AT ALL. Share tips, favorite brands, etc. 

-Pthalo :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You already know I rip lol

OJ bloodsucker wheels 54 mm keyframe shape, love the way they lock into coping, and as you ride them the don't cone too hard

Pharmacy 8.25 deck

Venture hi's, not hollow but I do want to get a pair of hollows since mine are super heavy

Bearings are just the cheapies from the shop, I tend to blow them apart, so I don't wanna spend more than like 10 bucks

Always take the shields off of my bearings too, makes em sound like a beast

Favorite trick is the nollie front shuv, so simple but if done right they can be very nice

Oh and shoes are the discontinued Mikey Taylor DCs, I buy them off eBay for way cheap, same as bearings I rip thru them too fast to spend more than 30$ on some shoes

And I've been skating for 15 years now, my old ass still goes out every Tuesday rain or shine, 115 or freezing

I love skateboarding

Edited by duja1001
  • Like 2

Whooooa! o_o 

Duja is the official forum Skatelord!!

Well...Here's mine, you can tell I'm lame because of how spotless it is. I skate in Vans Sk8 Hi's because they feel nice and supportive. Also when's a good time to change wheels?

b52a1f18-8d13-4a59-a06d-af2c0cb3c925-ori

• Like 1

Thanks! Awesome. I may very well grab those Acids, then. :-)

Well today I was stoked to bring my board to work to get to a meeting-- but I had a problem. As soon as I stepped on the thing, it flew out ahead of me, almost into traffic. I had to make a dash of shame to go get it, all while looking like a total nimrod. I had the same issue all day-- I could ride for a few feet, but then I'd wobble and bail off. The problem, as I found after I got home, completely frustrated-- was my bag. Apparently these lil' buggers throw off my center of gravity. I honestly have never skated with one on up until today-- because it had my computer in it for the meeting.  As soon as I removed the thing, my balance came back and I was fine. To be quite honest, I'm pretty excited about how quick I've picked up balancing-- but I'm still bummed that I made a fool of myself today :-(. There's always tomorrow...

-Pthalo

• Like 1

Don't blame ya, when I was a youngster and used to skate to school my backpack would always throw my balance off, needless to say it weighed 134433 lbs from school books, but even little things throw me off, i wear specific things to skate in lol.

It probably sounds wierd but if I look down and I'm not in my "skate pants" I feel off.

Pants being tighter black stretchy pants so I can see my legs, also I have socks I like to skate in, I call them my lucky socks, they're a bit higher than ankle so if I get smacked it softens the blow lol

Also I got my skate shirts, cheap 10 pack v-necks that I can sweat thru lol

I'm very picky haha

21 hours ago, duja1001 said:

Don't blame ya, when I was a youngster and used to skate to school my backpack would always throw my balance off, needless to say it weighed 134433 lbs from school books, but even little things throw me off, i wear specific things to skate in lol.

It probably sounds wierd but if I look down and I'm not in my "skate pants" I feel off.

Pants being tighter black stretchy pants so I can see my legs, also I have socks I like to skate in, I call them my lucky socks, they're a bit higher than ankle so if I get smacked it softens the blow lol

Also I got my skate shirts, cheap 10 pack v-necks that I can sweat thru lol

I'm very picky haha

I see! I have my favorite pair of shoes that I wear now, so I'm getting to that level! I tried again today, and it was a lot better. I think the only thing that threw me off was that it was pretty cold, and I had to wear a somewhat heavy coat. I got the hang of it by the end of the day-- but I will say this--

Skateboarding has been doing wonders for my social anxiety, and I think it's because I don't focus so much on everyone else--I'm trying too hard not to slam to care. Also, you said you ride a Pharmacy deck, right? Do they make cruiser shapes? 

Ya know I never really looked, I always skate the same size, I do know santa Cruz came out with a ninja turtles colab, and they look so sick lol

I might even ask for one for my Christmas present.

So I got a new board yesterday 💃

Pharmacy 8.25

I ended up getting the ninja turtles mob grip, it is pretty sweet.

A new pair of Indy's, I decided to switch it up from the ventures that I've been skating for the longest time, figured I'd try something new, and I'll tell ya they turn on a dime I like them alot.

Indy 139 hollows

And got some Bronson bearings, I know allot of my favorite skaters use them like David Gravette, they are hella fast and smooth as butter. And as always popped the shields off 

Took her out for a test spin at the best park we have out here, which happens to be across the street from the skateshop.

I'm totally stoked on my new setup, I did keep my same wheels tho haha

• Like 1

Ooooh! May I see? That setup sounds extra nice-- For the Indy trucks-- are you using the stock bushings? 

Also what rating bearings do you use? My board came with Abec-3's ( Which is like the lowest, right? ), but I'm almost completely certain that these should be swapped out. Chief reason is that now since I've sort of broken 'em in, my wheels don't seem to spin so well anymore. 

I honestly don't know about the abec ratings, these are the cheaper Bronson's about 20$ they have the RAW which is 40 but I can't spend that on some bearings, and yea the Indy's have the bushings that came with them, I loosen the bolt up to the very end and hope they don't fall off, I skate very loose, I'll see if I can post a pic later for ya

Edited by duja1001