The community of SHITSERV

Not a problem. Also, go ahead and look for some open games to join. Most people here will help ya level.

Though I hope you know Spanish. About 60-70% of the people here speak Spanish.

Though a good few of those know some English too.

heh i would, but im on vacation at the moment. Cant download PSO to this computer.

And im glad i took spanish last year.. and feeling bad about sleeping through most of it xD

Maybe this server can help me freshen up my spanish xD

As a SCHTSERV player I figured I might as well add my two cents to this thread.

The community of players itself isn't necessarily the major problem with SCHTSERV. Because it's got such a large playerbase, there's obviously going to be a very varied group of individuals (whereas something like Ultima has managed to carve out a niche as a server that draws a large Spanish playerbase). As a result, there's all sorts of people, from assholes to people who are really nice and helpful. My main gripes haven't been with the players I've encountered, but rather the server management for some rather irritating problems.

As I think has been mentioned, the forum is garbage. From what I've heard, joining the forums is basically just asking for trouble, so to have fun, you've pretty much got to avoid the forums altogether. Of course, you need to look at the forums at least once to find the server rule since they're not located on a convenient link from their website, and rather under 'Announcements and Rules' in the forums (for reference, their rules thread is here: http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62).

The most annoying thing about SCHTSERV however, is that they have separate set of rules governing trades that are pretty much mandatory for players to read, that simply not mentioned in the main rules thread. Specifically, they have a list of banned items for trade, and there'd be no way for a player to know that even if they read the main rules thread unless they happened to stumble into the trades section of the forums (thread is here: http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=36382). Now, some of the items on the list like hacks, dupes and GM made donation items make sense. But it seems that the people maintaining the list have gotten unbelievably overzealous and simply haven't thought things through beforehand. For instance, all items available in Gallon's Shop are banned. Now, I can see banning the Roulette items, but banning things like the Hunter/Ranger/Force Walls? It's not like 300 points is that difficult to obtain using the timing game. Worse, there are items like Recovery Barriers that are actually available outside of Gallon's Shop (I've seen it box drop on Hard in Mines), and they haven't really made it clear if only things obtained from the shop are blacklisted, or if all items in the shop are blacklisted, even if it dropped elsewhere.

There was even a point in the trade blacklist thread where they added Photon Drops and all kinds of Materials to the list, until someone wisely pointed out that Photon Drops and Materials pretty much make up the whole in-game economy to the point of them being currency. Were they even thinking this through? Another bizarre banned set of items are items made from creature parts. You can trade the parts to make the item, but not the completed item itself. Why this is I'm not entirely sure (perhaps they want to force people to do the quest to convert the parts to weapons themselves), but it doesn't seem like it's the wisest choice in the world. Worst of all, there's even been at least one case of vigilantism by someone who posted a video on YouTube where he was basically trying to lure people into buying a Baranz Launcher (which is against the rules, but buying Parts of Baranz is not) and posting their card number on the video to get them banned. He seems to have deleted the video in the last couple of days (I remember watching it a few days ago), but I managed to get a screenshot of the video showing YouTube's 'deleted' icon: http://i906.photobucket.com/albums/ac267/XyVyse/psobbsting.jpg No idea if the people he was luring even knew about the rules or not, although I doubt it, seeing as how they're hard to find even if you've read the actual rules section, and I doubt even less that the guy cared. The guy who posted it also has some some bizarre videos indicating he's a member of some bizarre 9/11 conspiracy group, so he could just be a bit of a nutjob on top of a douche.

Is SCHTSERV a great server? No, it's got a number of serious problems. It's not downright awful though, if you learn who to avoid and what to avoid doing, since there's a large playerbase to draw from. It also supports Challenge Mode, something a lot of people like myself enjoy, so that's another reason some people stay with SCHTSERV in spite of its problems. Like all servers there's the odd person who is hacking who eventually gets reported, some of the GMs don't seem to always think things through in terms of their decisions, but it's not a bad server when you avoid the forums like the plague.

Edit: typos, etc.

Edited by XyVYse
  • Like 1

topic name sums it up for me i tried that server first and couldnt stay connected to it for more then 5-10mins at a time then DC DC DC so i searched and found this one and been here since.

• Like 1

The forums are Hell. Thats VERY true.. The game itself is Hell. Back in the day, if you had a Red ring, or PGF, you got so much shit from the server it wasnt even funny. I had a Red Ring, and i was put under investigation untill it was cleared legit, and after it was, i lost the rights to even be able to trade it. = / many people have said it, and its very true.. they need to wipe the server of the items, and just clean the slate.. to much dupes are up and shit like that to even bother continuing.

Strange, i tought dupes were alot less by now.

I say this because before it was very easy to hack items or to exploit certain bugs, now when i go to the trading forum i rarely see any locked topic due to an illegal/duped/hacked item, that gives the idea that things are alot better then before.

Never imagined that amount of dupes were around.

hello all,

I must say this server IS better because its not as strict, on the other hand "shitserv" yeah has too many rules... cant do this cant do that illegal this illegal that.... Bullshit. they shouldnt have to be like that, I think people should be able to do whatever they like as long as its not cheating, hacking or disrespecful in any way. It should be fun not checking the forums everyday to see if there are rule changes. Besides not everyones been to the forum or even know that it existed and that the rules are posted there. IT should be post in game at the beginning or somewhere obvious so that people who dont go to the forums will know the deal. My brother got banned because he didnt know certain items couldnt be traded and he was banned instantly with no warnings. He was pissed, had about 100+ hours not knowing you had to check the forums often. I think thats a load of crap. I just hope that this server will stay flexible compared to "shitserv" other than that I really dont care who the players are ;) people will be people, some get a long some dont.

peace

Strange, i tought dupes were alot less by now.

I say this because before it was very easy to hack items or to exploit certain bugs, now when i go to the trading forum i rarely see any locked topic due to an illegal/duped/hacked item, that gives the idea that things are alot better then before.

Never imagined that amount of dupes were around.

I never imagined it being so bad to, untill i took the time to read up on it.. There duping things like xmas event items, and most of the black listed items, are there because of the fact, that there mass duped.

Its pretty bad. Schtserv started out legit.. but when the numbers rose, it became Dupe fest 2010

I never imagined it being so bad to, untill i took the time to read up on it.. There duping things like xmas event items, and most of the black listed items, are there because of the fact, that there mass duped.

Its pretty bad. Schtserv started out legit.. but when the numbers rose, it became Dupe fest 2010

yeah i heard about the dupe bug too but never actually tried it myself. thats their fault not the people, they should fix it not ban everyone.

yeah i heard about the dupe bug too but never actually tried it myself. thats their fault not the people, they should fix it not ban everyone.

Yea it is there fault for not fixing the bugs.. But its the community's fault to.. They didnt have to abuse the bug, they could of stopped.