How To Build A Custom Quest

Lemon

3 minutes ago, bobshlibidich said:

For once, I agree with Willy there. Path to Salvation is a great example of what not to do in a quest, which is add as much monsters as possible, in a straight line and spawning at the same specific spot, having to use glitches to enter a secret room and probably the worst of them, just adding megid traps near warps and other important locations for the lulz. 

So it basically sounds like don't built troll quests.  got it.   and from what i read above don't built quests just to farm specific mobs bc that can break the economy.  

1 hour ago, Chris Hyme said:

So it basically sounds like don't built troll quests.  got it.   and from what i read above don't built quests just to farm specific mobs bc that can break the economy.  

Economy is messed up already, so don't worry too much about that.

On the note of quality, make sure it doesn't break itself.  Players shouldn't be able to get trapped, nor should their clients crash.  Other than that, make it feel coherent and intuitive when playing.  It's important to remember that the vast majority of players will run your quest at most once, so try and make things as obvious as possible.  Keep in mind what parts of the game are enjoyable and what parts are a drag and capitalize on the enjoyable parts and cut the boring parts.  For example, if you're putting a switch down a 2-3 room dead end, have mobs spawn on the way back after the switch is flipped.  I would also recommend keeping in mind how long the quest is.  Quests tend to start dragging around the 30 minute mark, so keeping it fresh and interesting, or short and sweet is important.

Feel free to send me a PM if you are serious and want some resources to help you get started, or just need some help.  Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Lemon said:

Economy is messed up already, so don't worry too much about that.

On the note of quality, make sure it doesn't break itself.  Players shouldn't be able to get trapped, nor should their clients crash.  Other than that, make it feel coherent and intuitive when playing.  It's important to remember that the vast majority of players will run your quest at most once, so try and make things as obvious as possible.  Keep in mind what parts of the game are enjoyable and what parts are a drag and capitalize on the enjoyable parts and cut the boring parts.  For example, if you're putting a switch down a 2-3 room dead end, have mobs spawn on the way back after the switch is flipped.  I would also recommend keeping in mind how long the quest is.  Quests tend to start dragging around the 30 minute mark, so keeping it fresh and interesting, or short and sweet is important.

Feel free to send me a PM if you are serious and want some resources to help you get started, or just need some help.  Good luck!

Lemon you are a boss.  i will definitely hit you up if i get serious into this.  it'll be like a week maybe before I can get a test server set up so thank you. 

2 hours ago, Chris Hyme said:

Lemon you are a boss.  i will definitely hit you up if i get serious into this.  it'll be like a week maybe before I can get a test server set up so thank you. 

If you PM me I can send you a plug-and-play test server, though it won't work for multiplayer, which it seems you want to do.

2 minutes ago, Lemon said:

If you PM me I can send you a plug-and-play test server, though it won't work for multiplayer, which it seems you want to do.

Multi player would make testing more convenient seeing as i have 2 friends that could run it as well.