No Resolution option(must see)

So i know i have had a previous post trying to get this problem. My laptop is a dell studio 1737 (vista). I can't get the window mode to work for anything. all i have is full screen and i can't change any of my setting because it won't let me set a resolution option. I was previously told to use "Redigit" i followed the guide and got to where i was suppose to be. For some reason when i made the changes it didn't work. so i have no clue what else to try. Sorry for the problem :// but i would like help if possible (: if not . ok i guess i'll deal with it .

Before you read the quotes below, are you sure you changed to correct value in the correct key in the registry?

I don't know if it works, but i know both the drop down menu and the key are linked, so if you can't pick up a res in the menu then you can do it manually in the registry.

go to the registry and locate this key

change this key in the location i show here so you can get the desired resolution

640 x 480 = 00

800 x 600 = 01

1024 x 728 = 02

1280 x 960 = 03

1280 x 1024 = 04

1600 x 1200 = 05

resolution.jpg

Try and run the game afterwards, i don't mean the options, i mean the actual game exe, will the game run? have you picked up a res you can support? if you can't run the game because it still asks you to input a res then try these options

Hi, first post here.

I was just reading this post and scratching my head trying to figure out how to fix this problem. Then I read the post that talked about switching graphics card, and it made me think of something interesting (that ended up working).

You see, I have an ATI Graphics Card, and there is something called "ATI Power Xpress" that comes with Laptops with ATI Graphics Cards. In this, you can choose to run a High-Performance GPU, or a Power-Saving GPU. It offers you to switch automatically from one or the other when you unplug your computer, but you can do this even if your computer is plugged in or unplugged.

So I used to run my laptop on an external monitor via HDMI cable. One time, I unplugged my computer, took it downstairs, and changed it to the Power Saving GPU. When I took it back upstairs, and plugged it into the monitor again with my HDMI cable, it didn't work. Then I realized I was on Power Saving GPU, and I needed to change back to High Performance for it to work.

After remembering this, I realized that, changing to power-saving GPU actually turns off the HDMI port, WITHOUT any hardware modifications or going into the Bios at all. So I thought I would try to apply this to this situation. With the computer still plugged in, I switched the GPU to power saving, opened up the PSO launcher, and voila, I now see resolutions!

Nice solution for anyone who has an ATI Graphics card with PowerXpress at their disposal biggrin.gif

EDIT: I should note that it looks like the changes stick once you switch back to High Performance GPU, but you'll need to go back to Power Saving if you wanna change them again.

I've been searching for a few days now trying to figure out how to get resolutions to show up in options. Since I don't have a supported graphics card nothing was listed but I finally found a way to fix that. All you need to do is go to Device Manager (in XP it's at control panel/system/hardware/device manager) and uninstall your monitor then reboot. This worked for me on XP Pro and I've heard of a few other who tried this and it worked but I do not guarantee anything for anyone for any reason. Just thought this info could help out someone else.
Hello everyone I found the fix for this issue .....that is if you have not figured it out by yourselves....anyway it seems the problem is with laptops that use shared video memory in combination with dedicated graphics card...For example I have an ATI Radeon 6300 series card (dedicated) with ATI Radeon 4200 serious card (shared memory)....This is how my laptop came from HP ....Anyway just go into device manager and disable the shared card to get PSOBB to read the graphics card appropriately....make sure you disable the shared card and not the main card.....Then after you re-open Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst go into options and the resolution should be available....Now make sure you save game configuration and please make sure you re-enable your shared card. Once you save game configuration correctly you wont have to go through this process again
  • Like 1

yea the regrestry changes save but don't do anything. and i don't know if the problem is the shared video card. because i don't know how to get to my video card. i don't know what it is called.