Is there any way to turn the BGM down?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find anything about it in various forum/google searches, but is there a way to turn the background music and only the background music down? I Skype with my friends often when playing and sometimes it can be very hard to hear them due to the bgm being quite loud.

Also, the current lobby music reminds me of a gay Nightclub. I keep expecting buff shirtless men with glowsticks to start dancing all over the place. It cracks me up every time.

Online.exe>Options>Sound>Advanced Button>BMG -Radio button OFF->Ok>Save

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 3

Online.exe>Options>Sound>Advanced Button>BMG -Radio button OFF->Ok>Save

Yeah I know about that. But the thing is that it is either 100% on or 100% off. I don't mind the BGM, it makes me all nostalgic and fuzzy. I'm just looking to turn it down a bit, like to 40-60%.

Do you have Windows7? If so you can use the volume mixer to tune down PSO music and sound effects altogether. There is no in-game way to change the volume.

Do you have Windows7? If so you can use the volume mixer to tune down PSO music and sound effects altogether. There is no in-game way to change the volume.

I do, but PSO likes to close anytime I try to exit it. Alt+Tab, ending/answering a Skype call, Norton complaining about something, etc. So I cannot get to the mixer to change the volume because the game will close when I do so.

I'll mess around with some stuff and see if I can't get Skype to be louder instead. Thanks for the info.

And disable User Account Control, it interrupts the game. PSO wants access to the CPU all the time.

On a related note, for those with XP who can't alter the volume levels, I modified Major Tom's Shut The F***K Up soundpack (SCHT forum) for my personal use on PSOBB Ultima. This pack reduces the volume by 15dB.

Sound effects are exactly as found in Major Tom's great pack. For the non-multi-stream ogg files I filled in the loop_start information myself, which was absent. I also had to redo the multi-stream oggs using FooBar2000 and the equalizer as they were not encoded multi-stream.

Most of the credit for this pack goes to Major Tom:

http://www.schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44029

As I say, I just filled in the missing loop_start info and redid those tracks starting with slbgm...

Here is the download if anyone wants it from my Dropbox (hope this is ok...rarely use dropbox for linking to stuff.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30011618/PSOBB%20Reduced%20Volume%20Pack.zip

Hopefully I'm allowed to provide this. I have given Major Tom full credit for his work. I'll PM him, though just in case. The multi-streams seem to work well, although occasionally the links to the next piece of music seem a little off. Not much I can do to fix this, I just hacked these oggs out using Foobar, I don't know that much about audio encoding.

It works well enough for my own use. Oh, to install just replace the ogg and sound folders in your PSOBB directory with the new ones. Remember to keep a copy of the old ones as a backup just in case. Cheers!

Oh, lobby music is the same volume, as that is presumably going to change during updates.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

On a related note, for those with XP who can't alter the volume levels, I modified Major Tom's Shut The F***K Up soundpack (SCHT forum) for my personal use on PSOBB Ultima. This pack reduces the volume by 15dB.

Sound effects are exactly as found in Major Tom's great pack. For the non-multi-stream ogg files I filled in the loop_start information myself, which was absent. I also had to redo the multi-stream oggs using FooBar2000 and the equalizer as they were not encoded multi-stream.

Most of the credit for this pack goes to Major Tom:

http://www.schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=44029

As I say, I just filled in the missing loop_start info and redid those tracks starting with slbgm...

Here is the download if anyone wants it from my Dropbox (hope this is ok...rarely use dropbox for linking to stuff.)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30011618/PSOBB%20Reduced%20Volume%20Pack.zip

Hopefully I'm allowed to provide this. I have given Major Tom full credit for his work. I'll PM him, though just in case. The multi-streams seem to work well, although occasionally the links to the next piece of music seem a little off. Not much I can do to fix this, I just hacked these oggs out using Foobar, I don't know that much about audio encoding.

It works well enough for my own use. Oh, to install just replace the ogg and sound folders in your PSOBB directory with the new ones. Remember to keep a copy of the old ones as a backup just in case. Cheers!

Oh, lobby music is the same volume, as that is presumably going to change during updates.

hmm this is really interesting, gonna make a topic pointing to your post. pretty sure this will be helpful to users.