Ask a quick question, get a quick answer

Honest question - I see a lot of "optimal equipment" lists for RAmar that include Excal/100Souls, and I understand why those are fantastic weapons (3 targets, great damage, sacrificial specials, look sweet).  What I'm having trouble understanding is when exactly they would be the best option to deal with a situation - If I need to burn one target down, I'll use charge/demon mechs, I have Arrest Needle or Baranz Launcher for groups (or DM but no PGF for me :(), UR is cheaper for satellite lizards while more easily hitting groups and potentially being faster with lucky Hell hits...  

So it seems to me that while they're extremely powerful, they would be extremely situational at best given just how many other great options rangers have? Am I missing something?

Can someone explain the exact individual drop system in detail please? After spending hundreds of hours PGF hunting mostly solo or with a friend using shared drops it's come to my attention that I probably shouldve been using individual drops instead. I've also heard that you have a better chance of getting the item you want with 3 players instead of 4. Can someone please provide some clarity? :"L

I guess this could help explain why some people got multiple PGFs.

On 1/19/2018 at 10:50 AM, Rifle said:

Honest question - I see a lot of "optimal equipment" lists for RAmar that include Excal/100Souls, and I understand why those are fantastic weapons (3 targets, great damage, sacrificial specials, look sweet).  What I'm having trouble understanding is when exactly they would be the best option to deal with a situation - If I need to burn one target down, I'll use charge/demon mechs, I have Arrest Needle or Baranz Launcher for groups (or DM but no PGF for me :(), UR is cheaper for satellite lizards while more easily hitting groups and potentially being faster with lucky Hell hits...  

So it seems to me that while they're extremely powerful, they would be extremely situational at best given just how many other great options rangers have? Am I missing something?

Mechs are strong for sure, but they are also a slow on recovery; if you don't actually need that many attacks and just want a few big hits fast, then you may choose to use heaven striker or excal or such things. UR is also unreliable on lizards at times (especially yowie underground), since hell can fail to activate. It's still good on them, but the lucky 1 attack kill isn't going to happen as much as 2+ combos where you just don't kill because of edk failure, while excal can be much more reliable and consistent.

7 hours ago, tru said:

Can someone explain the exact individual drop system in detail please? After spending hundreds of hours PGF hunting mostly solo or with a friend using shared drops it's come to my attention that I probably shouldve been using individual drops instead. I've also heard that you have a better chance of getting the item you want with 3 players instead of 4. Can someone please provide some clarity? :"L

I guess this could help explain why some people got multiple PGFs.

I think the topic about it does a good job explaining it, but I agree I could probably have added a few more specifics about certain things like.

- In individual drops, everyone has the same DAR probability and is calculated separately for every drop.
That's all I can think of for now.

Another thing to point out, the DAR reduction rates in the topic are no longer relevant, they were increased (aka made better) a while ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soly said:

I think the topic about it does a good job explaining it, but I agree I could probably have added a few more specifics about certain things like.

- In individual drops, everyone has the same DAR probability and is calculated separately for every drop.
That's all I can think of for now.

Anothing thing to point out, the DAR reduction rates in the topic are no longer relevant, they were increased (aka made better) a while ago.

I was looking for that thread. I appreciate it Soly. Just to confirm, since Olga's DAR is 100, if playing with two players using individual drops there would a 67% chance of anything dropping and if something drops, it would have a 1/186 chance of being PGF or 1/62 chance during hh? 

Therefore, between 2 players the chance of one of them getting a PGF would be 2/(186*1.33) or about 1/124 and would therefore be more efficient for this type of hunting?

34 minutes ago, Glitchesarecool said:

Ok I have a Mark 3 Mag, places like PSO World says it has to meet certain conditions to give it the Heart of Dreamcast. Instructions unclear, when should I give it the kit?

https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/wiki/item&id=030E11

That's all I have... if there is any other requirement/restriction I can add it there.

13 minutes ago, tru said:

I was looking for that thread. I appreciate it Soly. Just to confirm, since Olga's DAR is 100, if playing with two players using individual drops there would a 67% chance of anything dropping and if something drops, it would have a 1/186 chance of being PGF or 1/62 chance during hh? 

Therefore, between 2 players the chance of one of them getting a PGF would be 2/(186*1.33) or about 1/124 and would therefore be more efficient for this type of hunting?

13 minutes ago, tru said:

Another thing to point out, the DAR reduction rates in the topic are no longer relevant, they were increased (aka made better) a while ago.

But I won't get into specifics of rate calculations.

4 minutes ago, Soly said:

https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/wiki/item&id=030E11

That's all I have... if there is any other requirement/restriction I can add it there.

But I won't get into specifics of rate calculations.

Okay. Well am I thinking this through and understanding this correctly?

14 hours ago, tru said:

poin dexter

:lol:

16 hours ago, tru said:

Just to confirm, since Olga's DAR is 100, if playing with two players using individual drops there would a 67% chance of anything dropping and if something drops, it would have a 1/186 chance of being PGF or 1/62 chance during hh?

Yes

Doesn't work like that:

1 player having a 1/186 chance to find a PGF doesn't mean 186 players would have a 186/186 chance i.e. a guaranteed PGF.

Moreover 1 / 0.67 ≈ 1.49 and not 1.33

In that case, the chance of them getting at least one PGF would be 1 - ( 1 - 1/186 * 0.67 )² = 0.007191326 so about 1/139

Either way, if you consider that all players share their drops, then the individual dropstyle is and has always been better than shared dropstyle.

Edited by R-78
  • Like 2

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller when i play this game. Unfortunately the A button stopped working and when i took it apart I saw the padding is broken and seems unfixable. So I'm in the market for a new controller. Any recommendations for something simple and reliable? I want an analog stick so a ps4 controller would be out of the question.

Playing on a GC controller would be cool for that nostalgic feel, but when I asked my friend about using a USB adaptor he said it can be unreliable to get set up especially if I wanted it to work for all PC games. Ergonomics is important to me too since I have hand pains.

I've considered playing on keyboard, but the movement always seems slow and wonky to me. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to turn around, I get this awful turn-around animation.

Edited by tru
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, tru said:

I use a wired Xbox 360 controller when i play this game. Unfortunately the A button stopped working and when i took it apart I saw the padding is broken and seems unfixable. So I'm in the market for a new controller. Any recommendations for something simple and reliable? I want an analog stick so a ps4 controller would be out of the question.

Playing on a GC controller would be cool for that nostalgic feel, but when I asked my friend about using a USB adaptor he said it can be unreliable to get set up especially if I wanted it to work for all PC games. Ergonomics is important to me too since I have hand pains.

I've considered playing on keyboard, but the movement always seems slow and wonky to me. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but when I try to turn around, I get this awful turn-around animation.

yeah when my xbox controller crapped out a couple mos ago, x button tho...i actually said f it and tried a ps4 one, and like it alot