Guide - How to make your own skins

chuk

Skins

What are skins?

Skins are texture modifications that will make your character, your items, interface or even enemies and area look different. The skins you use on your client will not be visible by others, unless they install the same skin on their client OR if the server forces the skin update in the patcher.

How do I use skins ingame?

Most skins are very easy to use, you just download the zipped file from a site with skins and extract the zip file in the root of your game, next to the data folder. Normally it will ask you if it can override the existing files. Say yes to all but don't forget to back up your original data folder for if anything goes wrong.

How do I make my own skins?

You will need a few tools to make skins yourself :

As example I'll use the steps to follow on how to skin the SOUL EATER weapon :

open AFS manager

Open the original itemtextureep4.afs with the AFS manager tool

Navigate to the image you want to alter (file 16 in this case)

Select the file (click on the entry)

export as prs (select prs from the menu, add .prs at the end of file name) in this case should be file 16.prs

Open the VMT.exe tool

with VMT open the file (16.prs)

with this example you will see 3 entries (= 3 textures)

Make a texture with your editor (Paint.NET is what I used)

select the texture you desire and import the bmp image you made

save as a BB file named file 16.prs (you cannot see the file on the explorer, still, save with the same name and add .prs at the end)

Go back to the AFS manager

File 16 select import, select the file 16.prs you made

Save (should be nearly instant)

Test ingame by replacing the original itemtextureep4.afs by your modified one

If everything went well, it will work, else your game will crash which means you made a mistake in one of the steps.

Where can I find premade skins?

The most known site for PSO skins is http://pso.univers-ps.com/bb/skin/listeSkinUS.php5

NOTE:

I might add images or explain steps more indepth if requested by several users. Enjoy skinning :)

Edited by chuk
  • Like 6

Thx, I hope it's somewhat clear. Made it quickly as a user asked me about it ingame

• Like 4

Thanks for posting this guide chuk. Hope some users takes the opportunity to make some new cools skins, because we will need skins for the new weapons that we are creating.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having an issue with the skin actually loading up. After you extract the file (.prs file) with AFS manager, you cannot open the .prs file with VMT program. The file type is not exepted. Very interested in using this program to customize my character ^.^. I would appreciate any advice you could spare. Also, you have two choices to make; when importing (your pic) for the skin in VMT, you actually save the "File Type" twice. I have tried every possible combination(BB/BB, DC/PC, etc..) nothing seems to make it stick once loading the game. The character skin is white or of solid color. Please help. :(

• Like 1

Hmm, it's been a long time since I skinned something myself,

maybe your vmt.exe is corrupt, you sure you got the right version (the one from my download link), as I was able to open it without a problem :

l5jv.png

Obviously BB/BB stands for Blue Burst, DC for DreamCast etc. and thus you need the BB one. I'll ask Kajex if I forgot something since he's been skinning the new event items recently.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is there any table or something, where i can see which is the File Number that i need modify?, For Example, Dark Meteor, i want to change the main colour.

Edited by Kevin

Is there any table or something, where i can see which is the File Number that i need modify?, For Example, Dark Meteor, i want to change the main colour.

Not that I know off, it's been trial and error. Maybe after some google-doodle you might stumble on a list.

Not that I know off, it's been trial and error. Maybe after some google-doodle you might stumble on a list.

That wil be sooooo complicated! Thanks, Chuk.

Lol i think i have a problem....I'm triying to do a bit darker the dark meteor, and i've got this XDD:

994574_10201692531495518_622491302_n.jpg

Result:

1005372_10201692532095533_1649475190_n.j

Can you tell me what i'm doing wrong?

Edited by Kevin

Coolest DM ever.

But more seriously, can you show me an image of the edited file? Be aware a that every part of the "skin square" is used.

• Like 2

Coolest DM ever.

But more seriously, can you show me an image of the edited file? Be aware a that every part of the "skin square" is used.

LOL Here, man (Original Image, Edited, and .psr changed): https://mega.co.nz/#!zcAn2YaY!Yf6AuhyBeIODaYn2l6CWdAM3RLVSamvAnR6jW_gbq-c