PsoBB.exe has stopped working.

Chris Simmonite

After getting a huge craving for PSO again, I stumbled onto the Ultima PSO site, created an account and downloaded and installed the lastest installer. I start the game up and downloaded 7 patches which upon completion exited the program.

Now... every time I attempt to start the game using either launcher, I get a 'PsoBB.exe has stopped working' dialog box with the options of searching online for a solution or to simply close the program.

I am running the program as admin and Windows UAC is off. There is no anti virus hinderance either so I'm pretty confused here. I am using Windows 7 64bit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am dying to play this game again!. Thanks :)

you dont need avg. run it from the online.exe not from the psobb.exe. and when you run it from online.exe run as administrator. and also add the file (or whole folder) to the exceptions list of whatever you're running for antivirus. i noticed before i put it on my exceptions list it did that too me.

avg actually gave me a really hard time with this before i made an exception for it. avg is wayy to paranoid.

Edited by Rogue Fatso

Okay. I've redownloaded and reinstalled, I have been running PSO from the online.exe and wonline.exe both on admin with the same error message. Restarting the computer does not help at all. The exe's only work once before downloading the patches, then they cease to run.

Also, I will admit I don't actually have an antivirus at the moment as the one I had, Comodo, was seeing absolutely everything, even Steam purchases, as a virus and quarantined everything.

Is the game in the default directory? If not, then, I think, that is your problem. The game didn't run for me when I choose a custom directory... Make sure the game is in the default directory, "C:/Phantasy Star Online" or something like that. If you're game is not in the default directory, then uninstall and reinstall with the default options.

Get back to us, if your problem persists.

BTW: I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

At first glance, it seems like some resources are missing. Turn off your antivirus while downloading/installing/patching the game. I know it's a hassle, but it's an old game that requires it on some new OS...

Throughout all of this hassle, I hadn't actually had an antivirus installed. I got one this morning though, set PSO to the exceptions list.. no luck. Also turned the AV off.. with no luck.

Though to make it clear again. After installing, the game loads up to the start screen fine. There is some stutter in the BGM but the game DOES load up. Once the game shuts itself down AFTER downloading the patches, it is impossible to start the game again. It doesn't even open the game window. I get the feeling that something in one of the 7 patches does not agree with my computer.

As it stands, it looks as though PSO will never run on my PC. Shame, was really looking forward to playing it again :(

Thanks for all the help and suggestions though guys, much appreciated.

Edited by Chris Simmonite

You need to run PSOBB in compatibility mode most likely. Since this is an old PC game and was originally coded to work in a Windows OS in a 32-bit environment,(i.e. WinXP) most likely it's freaking out on your relatively newer OS with a extended address system,(i.e. 64 bit addressing) amongst other things.

Read more here to see if this solves your problem:

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/run-old-programs-in-64-bit-windows-7-with-compatibility-mode-options/

Hope this helps, good luck and don't give up yet! :onion-head11:

it's probably dep on windows 7 causing it.

You gotta be kidding me... I should have expected nothing less from Micro$oft I guess. I hated that shit with WinXP(caused random reboots on my machine till I disabled it) and now I'll have to deal with it again on Win7??? Eff that noise!

I need to send Bill Gates a nastygram, a real mean and horrible nastygram. Yea, I'm lookin' at you Bill you rat bastard!

Edited by Trigunman