Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

42 minutes ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Random disconnects may often result from your own internet connection being unstable. A good solid connection (does not have to be fast, just solid) will rarely disconnect. If you are on wireless, consider switching to wired. Bear in mind that this is an old game that was originally designed to go online with the dreamcast, so only so much can be done. As for the ping, the server is unlikely to be moved again at this time, but if you are getting random spikes it sounds more like an unstable connection issue.

Donation tickets may seem to overshadow some things, but donation tickets are rarely used to 'create' items from scratch in the game. They may be used to trade with players, but those players put in the effort to hunt the items from monsters, it's much less often that a gm actually spawns items out of thin air for dts. It's also impossible to have gm's create event items, those must be hunted to be obtained. There are also always people that will trade dts for pds around (usually at 15dts for 99pds).
Most of the useful things that are done with dts are also done in minievents hosted by the server; for example we just had a hit event the other week which made it easy for all players to get extra hit on their weapons. We also have special adding events, custom mag events, and all sorts of other minievents to let people win/get unique items.
It is very possible to get tons of stuff in this game without donating a penny. I personally have never used donation tickets to add hit or attributes or specials to any weapons, have never sphered any weapons with pds/ps (I haven't even done the quest unlock for it yet), and have only payed other people dts (which I've gotten by winning mini events and selling other items) for their items only a handful of times (the only 4 times I've used dts I think, for a rico's parasol when I knew I was going on vacation and wouldn't have time to hunt it, a machine/hit blood sword bc I'm weird and wanted to make an offer they couldn't refuse, a hit yunchang bc ep4 hard is difficult to find one with hit, and a slicer of fanatic with hit bc I'd been putting off hunting one for my hunters for too long).
Despite never having added extra stats in any way or hit to anything (outside of hit minievent), I have many, many weapons that are sphered out or extra stats and extra hit. I don't even trade very often, but when I do it's usually items for items or pds for items, and I just give most lesser stuff away.
I know you are new here, and it may seem like everyone wants dts, but I assure you that they aren't necessary to do anything. Many people have an "If it's not the best, then it sucks" mentality about this game, but you don't need 100%attribute 60+hit weapons to be effective, only thing you would ever need gear like that for is serious min-maxed time attacking (which is not common on this server), and is far more about the actual gameplay skill than getting that little bit extra on weapons.

@misnombre Hit is only needed if you never ever ata glitch combos and are trying to use a lot of special attacks in ep2. 0hit weaons will land their normal and hard attacks on most everything generally even without ata glitching, aside from extreme cases (e.g. things like fomarl, no kroes, no red ring, 0hit vivi on sinow zoa / zol gibbon / etc. Note: ata glitching even in this extreme case of very low ata character with 0hit weapon is stronger than the missing gear, doing a HN would add 137ata to first attack, whereas kroes+rr+50hit would only add 56ata).

Well said both of you, and first and formost thank you for taking the time to reply and shed more insight to this server. :)

i definitely do not have a bad connection, i pay nearly $100 a month just for my internet, 300 down/ 50 up, however its rare that i have any issue.

over the past 2-3 days i randomly disconnected from game at least 5-6 times, and each time this website also became unavailable, which is how i definitely know its an issue with the server, or the bridge connections inbetween my isp and the server

however, i'm definitely not badmouthing, or seriously complaining in any way, my original post was mostly of a suggestive nature :) after all, the topic is "ideas to improve the server"

Thank you again Fyrewolf for all the help you've given, you and Cy have been the 2 most helpful people here to a newcomer such as myself :)

cheers!

1 minute ago, 2blivion said:

Well said both of you, and first and formost thank you for taking the time to reply and shed more insight to this server. :)

i definitely do not have a bad connection, i pay nearly $100 a month just for my internet, 300 down/ 50 up, however its rare that i have any issue.

over the past 2-3 days i randomly disconnected from game at least 5-6 times, and each time this website also became unavailable, which is how i definitely know its an issue with the server, or the bridge connections inbetween my isp and the server

however, i'm definitely not badmouthing, or seriously complaining in any way, my original post was mostly of a suggestive nature :) after all, the topic is "ideas to improve the server"

Thank you again Fyrewolf for all the help you've given, you and Cy have been the 2 most helpful people here to a newcomer such as myself :)

cheers!

what browser do you use?

@2blivion The game server is located in Canada (in fact both game and website servers are, but they are different servers), I'm farther than you from it in a connection 10 times as bad (3/0.7) and I don't remember the last time I got disconnected.
You say the site becomes unavailable too but (as said above) the site is located in a different server, so maybe as you suggested your ISP has problem from time to time connecting to them... The servers definitely are not at fault (given that most players stay online when someone encounters these issues).

The "random dcs", the current server source is pretty salty about desync, the first desync it encounters and it boots you, but it gives you a message hinting why, like "Could not find item to equip" or "Could not find item to use", the rewrite I did already changed part of this, but there are quite a few parts that still need to be changed. Hopefully that wont be as annoying as disconnections (in case they are not an actual network problem).

About DTs I don't really have much to say except that is up to the player to donate or not, personally I have never donated myself but I have obtained some in trades.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Soly said:

@2blivion The game server is located in Canada (in fact both game and website servers are, but they are different servers), I'm farther than you from it in a connection 10 times as bad (3/0.7) and I don't remember the last time I got disconnected.
You say the site becomes unavailable too but (as said above) the site is located in a different server, so maybe as you suggested your ISP has problem from time to time connecting to them... The servers definitely are not at fault (given that most players stay online when someone encounters these issues).

The "random dcs", the current server source is pretty salty about desync, the first desync it encounters and it boots you, but it gives you a message hinting why, like "Could not find item to equip" or "Could not find item to use", the rewrite I did already changed part of this, but there are quite a few parts that still need to be changed. Hopefully that wont be as annoying as disconnections (in case they are not an actual network problem).

About DTs I don't really have much to say except that is up to the player to donate or not, personally I have never donated myself but I have obtained some in trades.

usually the error message i get is "connection terminated" and some numerical code

i can always log back in however, so it's probably not a server uptime issue, but rather like you said desyncing or perhaps even a firewall or port forwarding issue

If you get a specific error message (with a screenshot of the error), I can tell you if its the server or if its the game killing itself.
I don't think I have seen an error like that in the source, so most probably is the game unless you get something else along with it.

6 minutes ago, 2blivion said:

sounds good. im gonna just stop replying here because the topic's title is apparently very misleading

Why is it misleading? Suggestions are to discuss no?

1 minute ago, Soly said:

If you get a specific error message (with a screenshot of the error), I can tell you if its the server or if its the game killing itself.
I don't think I have seen an error like that in the source, so most probably is the game unless you get something else along with it.

Why is it misleading? Suggestions are to discuss no?

of course, it just felt a little more like vehemently defending what was never intended to be an insult or real complaint at all, i was only suggesting to begin with but the responses felt more like objections, however its all relative to each person, and text carries no emotion behind it Lol.

21 minutes ago, 2blivion said:

of course, it just felt a little more like vehemently defending what was never intended to be an insult or real complaint at all, i was only suggesting to begin with but the responses felt more like objections, however its all relative to each person, and text carries no emotion behind it Lol.

I'm sorry if it came off as too vehement, even though the majority of my post was about dts rather than connection issues. I was trying to be quite neutral with suggesting why d/c might happen, how donation tickets work, and encouraging anecdote of never needing to use dts or needing uncharacteristically high tier gear. I was trying to do some defense obviously, but it was not meant to be emotionally charged or inflammatory, merely just reasoned argument.

• 2 weeks later...

An idea, can we get a "/vol #" command where it sets both BGM and SFX to #? I find that every time I go to use it I'm typing both out.

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

An idea, can we get a "/vol #" command where it sets both BGM and SFX to #? I find that every time I go to use it I'm typing both out.

You can already do that with your computer sound options ^^

Or you can make 4 shortcuts, 2 for BGM, 2 for SFX ><

7 hours ago, Lemon said:

I can probably add another case with "/vol all n" ... I dont want to have a number in the first argument because Im sure people who use the command will often forget about the bgm/sfx part.

• Like 1