Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

the characters back is to the monster, that is the exact definition of hitting stuff behind you....

Soly's gif shows it clearly. The monster is in front of the player. The player does a doublesaber 1st attack which makes him hit the monster while stepping forward and drop his right shoulder. He is not hitting a monster behind him, it's simply the animation of the doublesaber.

There is nothing unusual about this, even unmodified doublesabers can do this. Weapons can have a lot more reach than they appear to sometimes.

Here are some screenshots I just took which display the large amounts of horizontal and forward range a doublesaber can get.

Monster Turning Away from me and being hit

23w9x0.jpg

Setup pic, Back monster about to turn away after being caught on the closer ones

2ag7m9h.jpg

But he still won't get away (yes I am hitting the back monster there just before the others closed in)

aadaq9.jpg

Another bartle turning away from me and getting hit

hty9zd.jpg

Stepping past monster (argh printscreen why must you be next to f12)

2na8e82.jpg

Stepping past monster better pic (this is exactly what happened in demonstration video)

xnra7a.jpg

One more monster turning away from me to really show off the horizontal reach (Edit: to be clear, hard attack pushed him even further)

jh66qa.jpg

I hope that helps make it clearer as to what happened.

Edited by Fyrewolf5
  • Like 4

Although the circumstances for your test was different than the original matter, I think I see what you're saying.

At first I thought I saw the bartle like directly in another spot at first (starting at walking behind the cast, then moving to the side) but it shows the bartle was already to the side...

Sorry, my mistake. My eyes are playing tricks on me.

• 3 weeks later...

Some Ideas:

Reverser merge to increase range of reverser (just like resta merge). As it stands, you have to be very close to them to do this, which makes things like the 3 epsilon room in ROCT very difficult as a support. This shouldn't be too hard to make, just edit resta merge to refer to reverser or whatnot. (I also know nothing about item creation, so don't get mad at me if more is involved)

/roominfo to include the room name. Sometimes I forget what my game is called midway through a full run and can't tell my friends who want to join.

"/who slotNum" command that would list the guildcard and player names associated with that card of the slot number specified. i.e. if I was in a game by myself and used "/who 1" it would print something like "######## | Lemon \ Peach \ Passion \ Cherry".

• Like 1

This might be a bit complicated, but it would be nice if the game encouraged multiplayer for finding rares. The way it works now, you are actually much less likely to get rares if other people join you, not only because they can pick up the items before you, but also because they tend to slow down the party more than help it. And honestly, it feels kinda shitty to compete with your party members over rares, when we should really be working together to help each other.

A few ways to improve this would be to implement a drop system that gives a picked up rare item to a random player (like PSU) or give each player their own rare item that only they can interact with (like PSO2). Another good idea is to increase the drop rate if more players are in the party, that way even a weak player can contribute something to the party and not feel like a total burden.

However it's done, if I wanted to find a Mother Garb+, I should be more likely to get one if I'm playing with other people. I shouldn't be punished for wanting to play with other people in an online multiplayer game.

• Like 4

Ephinea (the server by Sodaboy, who was active on the shoutbox a dozen hours ago) has a drop system like the one you mentioned. It sounds interesting indeed but I can't imagine Larva would want to implement it here considering Ultima has been the way it is for so many years.

• Like 1

Ephinea (the server by Sodaboy, who was active on the shoutbox a dozen hours ago) has a drop system like the one you mentioned. It sounds interesting indeed but I can't imagine Larva would want to implement it here considering Ultima has been the way it is for so many years.

Wasn't Larva the one who tried to make One Person Mode impossible in order to encourage multiplayer? Seems like he would like the idea of a game that encouraged multiplayer to me.

Well, as it is on Ephinea (optional), it would probably be the same on any other server (if he includes that in the release).

Oh? So there is a good chance Ultima will get the option to have the game encourage multiplayer for finding rares? That would be really nice.

i think what midori says is a really good idea seeing as a lot of people just sit in a locked room to hunt stuff solo and for a player like me i am not at a stage that i can play ult solo and if i host my own i find it so rare for people to join as everyone is just doing CCA or just doing other boring quests like TTF or RT or like i said hunting solo >.> so basically that leaves me to wait for a friend to be online and not doing anything to help me hunt gear

Well, as it is on Ephinea (optional), it would probably be the same on any other server (if he includes that in the release).

Nothing optional/extra is included in the next release of Tethealla. It's just a straight up PSOBB emulator.

Soda was considering adding it, but then decided to keep what makes Ephinea unique to itself.

Edited by Zynetic

Nothing optional/extra is included in the next release of Tethealla. It's just a straight up PSOBB emulator.

Soda was considering adding it, but then decided to keep what makes Ephinea unique to itself.

Aw. I was excited about the idea of a PSO that favored multiplayer. Well, maybe it's still possible for Soly or someone else to figure it out it without Soda's help.

I didn't find out about Ephinea until today and I don't feel like starting over again from scratch.

Aw. I was excited about the idea of a PSO that favored multiplayer. Well, maybe it's still possible for Soly or someone else to figure it out it without Soda's help.

I didn't find out about Ephinea until today and I don't feel like starting over again from scratch.

Soly and who else?