Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

24 minutes ago, HUNTER_ said:

Would it be possible to make things such as pds and materials so that banks and characters could hold multiple stack of 99?

No, it is not.

make androids get heal trap! it's already implemented at random spots in the game, just give them a stack of 15 or 20 too ^^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cloor said:

make androids get heal trap! it's already implemented at random spots in the game, just give them a stack of 15 or 20 too ^^

I noticed this some time ago!  There is a fourth grayed-out trap that the Casts can assign to the hotkeys under F12, for the longest time I wondered what the crap it was, until recently when I've seen some of the heal traps around!  WANT! 

It's not quite that easy.  Anyway, casts are already stronger than fleshies, giving them 20 more heals would be crazy, if that even is what those traps are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trigunman said:

I noticed this some time ago!  There is a fourth grayed-out trap that the Casts can assign to the hotkeys under F12, for the longest time I wondered what the crap it was, until recently when I've seen some of the heal traps around!  WANT! 

That was Slow Traps and they are available in Battle mode.

There are many other traps which cannot be used: Poison, Shock, Paralysis, guided traps...

12 minutes ago, R-78 said:

There are many other traps which cannot be used: Poison, Shock, Paralysis, guided traps...

Any way to make those available in normal mode? The standard damage trap is nearly useless IMO. Could you create equip units that alter the damage trap? It would be much more useful if you could reconfigure it on the fly. Additional damage, slow, poison, cluster bomb (spawns 4-5 more traps on detonation around it) would all be awesome. If you could do that, adding a resta mod to make the damage trap heal allies in its AoE might also be possible.

Edited by HK-47
new idea.

Also, on an unrelated note, I was told (by Lemon I think) a while back that it is not possible to add unit slots to weapons themselves (I wanted to have weapon slots for attachments that would change their performance, like in KOTOR or Call of Duty). I think that there might be an alternative way to accomplish this to some extent.

There are already units that alter the functions of specific weapons (Yasakani Magatama w/ Kusanagi), could we make units that alter the properties of other specific weapons, entire classes of weapon, or even armor/shields? For balancing purposes, they should probably also have some drawbacks to using them or be class locked.

Examples:

Backpack Power Cell: Adds +25% damage to rifle type weapons. Slows movement speed 15%.

Rapid Charge Capacitor: Adds additional round to each mechgun burst, but reduces damage by 10%.

Smart Sight: Adds Auto Aim to ranged weapons (like the Yasmikovs and Rianov have).

Active Camouflage: Adds cloaking effect (like stealth suit). +250 EVP, DFP reduced by 100.

Trap Fabrication Module: Manufactures new traps every 10 minutes. Requires Meseta, cost varies by trap type.

Resonator: Makes blades vibrate at ultra high frequency for increased cutting power. +30% damage for melee weapons, -15 ATA due to increased handling difficulty. Useable only by HU.

52 minutes ago, R-78 said:

CAN HAZ?  ALL OF DEM!  PLIZ?  :onion-head39:

21 minutes ago, HK-47 said:

Also, on an unrelated note, I was told (by Lemon I think) a while back that it is not possible to add unit slots to weapons themselves (I wanted to have weapon slots for attachments that would change their performance, like in KOTOR or Call of Duty). I think that there might be an alternative way to accomplish this to some extent.

There are already units that alter the functions of specific weapons (Yasakani Magatama w/ Kusanagi), could we make units that alter the properties of other specific weapons, entire classes of weapon, or even armor/shields? For balancing purposes, they should probably also have some drawbacks to using them or be class locked.

Examples:

Backpack Power Cell: Adds +25% damage to rifle type weapons. Slows movement speed 15%.

Rapid Charge Capacitor: Adds additional round to each mechgun burst, but reduces damage by 10%.

Smart Sight: Adds Auto Aim to ranged weapons (like the Yasmikovs and Rianov have).

Active Camouflage: Adds cloaking effect (like stealth suit). +250 EVP, DFP reduced by 100.

Trap Fabrication Module: Manufactures new traps every 10 minutes. Requires Meseta, cost varies by trap type.

Resonator: Makes blades vibrate at ultra high frequency for increased cutting power. +30% damage for melee weapons, -15 ATA due to increased handling difficulty. Useable only by HU.

That was me, and this too is probably not doable.  Sega didn't use a configuration file for those items.  This means that there is a giant if-then tree in the source code somewhere  that alters your stats on some trigger if you have a specific weapon equipped.  So basically, if we had the game source code this would be a 30 min change.  However without the source code it is a 30 month change that we can't guarantee will work or even not delete your character.  So probably not going to happen unless a x86 engineer pops out of the woodworks with a billion years of free time and rewrites pso for us.

21 minutes ago, Lemon said:

That was me, and this too is probably not doable.  Sega didn't use a configuration file for those items.  This means that there is a giant if-then tree in the source code somewhere  that alters your stats on some trigger if you have a specific weapon equipped.  So basically, if we had the game source code this would be a 30 min change.  However without the source code it is a 30 month change that we can't guarantee will work or even not delete your character.  So probably not going to happen unless a x86 engineer pops out of the woodworks with a billion years of free time and rewrites pso for us.

Has anybody tried simply asking Sega for the source code recently? They probably don't care about it anymore and might be willing to release it. And if by some miracle they ever port PSO 2 to english, having an already existing/active player base of PSO fans would only HELP them get more players. Seems like they can only benefit from releasing it.

3 hours ago, HK-47 said:

Has anybody tried simply asking Sega for the source code recently? They probably don't care about it anymore and might be willing to release it. And if by some miracle they ever port PSO 2 to english, having an already existing/active player base of PSO fans would only HELP them get more players. Seems like they can only benefit from releasing it.

You've obviously never met any IP lawyers.  Sorry to be a "Debbie Downer" but yea, I'd be quite shocked if Sega EVER did such a thing honestly...  At best, almost every trace of Sega IP would have to be wiped from the game I imagine, everything would have to be re-named, re-skinned, re-modeled, the whole game "re-conceptualized", free of any concepts of PSOBB sadly.

I think Lemon's idea of finding a capable x86 coding engineer would be a safer bet.  Hell, the server makes some decent income, right Larva?  Maaaaaybe Larva could we hire one out for a few months to "crack the code", as it were?

Edited by Trigunman

6 hours ago, Lemon said:

This means that there is a giant if-then tree in the source code somewhere  that alters your stats on some trigger if you have a specific weapon equipped.

Actually, more like many pieces of code executed based on the item you equip, like an if/else but not really.

pIvKZxD.gif

5 hours ago, HK-47 said:

Has anybody tried simply asking Sega for the source code recently?

Doubt anyone has actually asked really... and doubt more that such thing is gonna fly.

2 hours ago, Trigunman said:

I think Lemon's idea of finding a capable x86 coding engineer would be a safer bet.  Hell, the server makes some decent income, right Larva?  Maaaaaybe Larva could we hire one out for a few months to "crack the code", as it were?

Maybe I can give you an example
https://www.pcgamer.com/a-coder-spent-1200-hours-reverse-engineering-diablos-source-code/

That said he took 1200+ hours over the course of a year(ish)
That sounds sort of OK, but then you see that he found some leaks including symbol files (which are basically instructions of how stuff is put together, function names, etc), is not close to a source code but is a great head start to someone doing something like this.

• Sad 1