Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

5 hours ago, CCastles93 said:

Restrict everyone from trying to sell stuff for other game currencies. It's getting really out of hand now.

After the scam attempt today we've done it lol... well more like me.

1 hour ago, R-78 said:

I suggest a shortcut to display a log window (like Ctrl+M for Map)

I wish I could but what I do with the map is just resize it and some other stuff to allow for a bigger view.
Log window would probably be too hard to get the game to do it... well I mean, I'd have to dig quite a bit.

You can use any of the tools out there for that tho, either the addon thing which you have seen in my pictures or the tool Orgo hosted in his site.

A minor popup the first time you start the game telling you that 'space' is how you start communicating via keyboard? (And also other basic controls.)

I suppose it's extremely minor and wouldn't be worth doing if it took more than 10 minutes to implement, but it took me an awful lot of digging to figure that out. Might have been my own fault, though. 

8 minutes ago, Uxie said:

A minor popup the first time you start the game telling you that 'space' is how you start communicating via keyboard? (And also other basic controls.)

I suppose it's extremely minor and wouldn't be worth doing if it took more than 10 minutes to implement, but it took me an awful lot of digging to figure that out. Might have been my own fault, though. 

Well.. there is a post somewhere with the controls...

Just in case, I have added this to the downloads page

It should be more like in the tool box menu but that would require me to make a new page... maybe later xD

6 minutes ago, Soly said:

Well.. there is a post somewhere with the controls...

Just in case, I have added this to the downloads page

It should be more like in the tool box menu but that would require me to make a new page... maybe later xD

I think that's how I found out. Either that or managed to figure it through the menus somehow. 

That's a good measure, though, and should help anyone new who decides to drop by. Thanks.

Apologies for the double post, but I'm not sure if an edit would be noticeable enough, and this is a new suggestion. I've tried searching for a bit to see if it's been said before, but if so I couldn't find it.

Having Section ID (tangible, relatively major aspect of gameplay) tied to name is dreadful. Thinking up a name for a character in a game is often relatively hard for many people at the best of times, and PSO compounds this multiple times over. Thought of a name you like? Better hope it also results in the Section ID you needed as well (or at least one that isn't trash, which is apparently about half of them), otherwise it's time to think of a new one.
The suggestion is to be able to just set it to whatever you want it to be at character creation and do away with the arduous process of "Think of a name you like -> Check if it makes the right ID -> It doesn't -> Repeat."
It does seem like functionality that would be hard to implement, so I understand if it's impossible or unfeasible. 

I also found mention of a 'section ID change' that someone named 'Larva' didn't like (lead designer?) but that seemed to be in relation to the ability to change it and character name sometime during play.

• Like 1

We have tools to change the ID regardless of the name. Usually it's not considered that big of a deal as you can usually get the ID you want by being a bit creative with your name. Changing letters to numbers, switching up cases, adding a certain number at the end of your name... There are plenty of calculators that will allow you to come up with a name/ID easily. We haven't changed this since we try to stick to the original game wherever we can. 

34 minutes ago, Uxie said:

stuff

https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/calculators/section-id/

also, any name will only display 9 characters in game (i.e. BabyKezia123 would show up as BabyKezia in game). use that to your advantage. you can also use spaces and stuff

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, chuk said:

We have tools to change the ID regardless of the name. Usually it's not considered that big of a deal as you can usually get the ID you want by being a bit creative with your name. Changing letters to numbers, switching up cases, adding a certain number at the end of your name... There are plenty of calculators that will allow you to come up with a name/ID easily. We haven't changed this since we try to stick to the original game wherever we can. 

6 minutes ago, thelionorion said:

https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/calculators/section-id/

also, any name will only display 9 characters in game (i.e. BabyKezia123 would show up as BabyKezia in game). use that to your advantage. you can also use spaces and stuff

I see, thanks to both of you. I suppose it might just be because I'm very particular with names that it might be a problem for me (numbers, special characters, and non-standard capitalisation is a no-no unless it's for a robot or something), but I didn't know about the 9 character limit. Even if it results in text looking a bit silly, I should be able to make do with "Name [space to 9][characters to get right ID]". That calculator also looks useful. I didn't notice it and was doing it manually. >_>

It's understandable that you want to stick as close to the original game as you can afford to, and even though my sensibilities tell me this is a straight improvement, I'll admit there's something nice about having the ID tied to name. Perhaps it's the extra sense of accomplishment after you wrestle with it a bit trying to get something that matches. =P

Edited by Uxie

@Uxie same here, I patiently chose all my IGN to always match them with the ID I want while respecting the "Xxxxxx" case with no number

Where you create a forum id and where the game is downloaded boldly state you need to create a in game account as the forum account is not the same. Pretty much everyday someone has trouble with that and asks in the chat box and who knows how many get discouraged and give up and not find the chat box to ask. 

Now that I looked it's on their twice at the top Idk o guess that old sayings true you can't fix......

Edited by O9B066

8 hours ago, O9B066 said:

Where you create a forum id and where the game is downloaded boldly state you need to create a in game account as the forum account is not the same. Pretty much everyday someone has trouble with that and asks in the chat box and who knows how many get discouraged and give up and not find the chat box to ask. 

Now that I looked it's on their twice at the top Idk o guess that old sayings true you can't fix......

I thought of doing so, but then I think of 2 other things.

1) For that I have to edit the forum template stuff that I usually avoid.
2) People usually don't read that kind of stuff and we'd end up with the same problem.

I'll go another route and in the next server restart, I'll add this stuff to the login error, when you fail to authenticate.
People are forced to read that one error so that seems like a better idea.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Soly said:

I thought of doing so, but then I think of 2 other things.

1) For that I have to edit the forum template stuff that I usually avoid.
2) People usually don't read that kind of stuff and we'd end up with the same problem.

I'll go another route and in the next server restart, I'll add this stuff to the login error, when you fail to authenticate.
People are forced to read that one error so that seems like a better idea.

With all of the great things and ideas on this server after 9 years I'm surprised this wasn't already done lol I think your idea would be the best idea though. It's too bad server and forum id aren't the same. When I made my account I made my game account first and couldn't figure out why I couldn't login to the forum lol