Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

Just now, Misombre said:

@Lemon Here you go

e895k0.jpg

That's how you can add them, but editing a post with them in it is a pain since they appear as these weird boxes that behave like images in microsoft word >.>

2 hours ago, El Socko said:

Whenever you mention hardcoded stuff in PSO, how can I imagine that? Is it a specfic item hex code that is tied to unique properties so that particular item has no stats in a file (hence they cannot be altered) since they are hidden deep in the games' .exe?

Exactly... for eaxample... what items are affected by POSS is hardcoded in the client, the shield positioning was hardcoded (I had to move that to my own code so I could add those new shields)... stats by adept, v101, v502... I could go on...

2 hours ago, El Socko said:

It's a shame game code is so big and complex these days. Back in the 80s with its 8-bit CPUs, I could hack infinite lives/energy myself, just looking for specific instructions in the code

Is no different today... just takes more time and dedication.

53 minutes ago, Lemon said:

foreach(Item I in player.equips){
    try{
        // load properties from table
    catch(NullPropertyException e){
      if (I.id = ADEPT.id) {
          player.stats.tpCosts = player.stats.tpCosts*.75
          player.stats.atp += 10
          player.stats.mst += 10
          player.stats.dfp += 10
          player.stats.lck += 10
          player.stats.evp += 10
          player.stats.ata += 20
      }
      // move if statements for each hardcoded item
    }
}

There are other things done at different times, like checks for v501-2
I know was just an example, but your hardcoded properties wont load unless you crash your table loading ;)

44 minutes ago, Lemon said:

That's how you can add them, but editing a post with them in it is a pain since they appear as these weird boxes that behave like images in microsoft word >.>

You can drag them around... I don't think it can be put back since IPB moved to a WYSIWYG editor. no more bbcode etc...

Since FOrces are kinda weak now, here's some ideas I had about items that could be inserted into the game:

-Enemy kill count booster (armor slot item): doubles count of dead enemies (only for unblocking sealed items). Like several others, it is not stackable.

-Fire, ice, lightning, grants, megid (30% each) and a (rare) all magic booster (20%): Increases by a predetermined percentage the damage of the respective elements. Not stackable. Can equip only one of each kind.

-TP Shield (rare): 50% of physical damage is taken from TP. Drains TP while equipped and -20 from all resists.

That's it for now. Peace!

1 hour ago, zeratulmrc said:

-TP Shield (rare): 50% of physical damage is taken from TP. Drains TP while equipped and -20 from all resists.

that seems pretty cool! Dunno if its possible to make though D:

1 hour ago, zeratulmrc said:

Since FOrces are kinda weak now, here's some ideas I had about items that could be inserted into the game:

-Enemy kill count booster (armor slot item): doubles count of dead enemies (only for unblocking sealed items). Like several others, it is not stackable.

-Fire, ice, lightning, grants, megid (30% each) and a (rare) all magic booster (20%): Increases by a predetermined percentage the damage of the respective elements. Not stackable. Can equip only one of each kind.

I don't think this stuff is really possible to do.

Forces are actually incredibly powerful classes, having extremely high versatility and tons of options available to them; we've done quite a lot for them already. Magic damage has gotten a lot of boosts already, even though magic has some inherent issues with it, but forces have also gotten a ton of other gear to help them out. A force may not have the atp of other classes, but they are extremely good in their own way. Strong debuffs will reduce enemies attacks to mere tickles, and a force can restore any damage they take in an instant with virtually no practical limit, and they still have many weapons that can do 'good enough' damage. Other classes may be able to hit higher numbers and kill certain enemies faster IF they have a force that with them has cast buffs and debuffed the enemies, but a properly geared out force can handle nearly anything thrown at them much safer than any other class, and still dish out more than enough damage to kill off enemies quickly. A good force is not to be underestimated.

It's difficult to buff magic more than it already is. Magic has a lot of issues in that it's already OP by design (cannot miss, can stunlock, huge aoe, high target limit), so if it gets too high of damage numbers then it is wildly unbalanced and brokenly strong. However it also causes tons of issues in team games, causing massive amounts of damage cancel (game cannot handle things taking multiple damages at once), and causing a log of bugs and undesirable monster reactions and other problems. Some enemies are also explicitly designed to ignore all tech boost gear, or to have extremely high resists to all elements, or to have specific ai responses to being hit with techs (which are a pain to deal with).

Spamming attack magic is usually only useful for soloing in ep4 and early ep1, so a force that tries to play a black mage style will run into a lot of problems and be very limited and weak overall, but a force that actually plays a red mage style, using all of the tools in their arsenal effectively, will arguably be some of the most competent of all classes. It's may be harder to learn and play a class that has to handle so many different things in a game, but in the hands of an advanced player they can be both deadly and safe in any and all situations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zeratulmrc said:

Why there's always someone saying that Forces are weak !? They are literally OP to solo episode IV and most of episode I areas ... And beside that they have unique Ultima stuff that make them even more OP like Hylian Shield, Psycho Bridge ...

How is that supposed to balance the game with Forces ? There is no class faster than Force to unseal stuff ...

100% Grants with Hylian is broken already. Megid can't be boosted (only penetration can be added).

Only techniques that need a boost are Gibarta and Gizonde.

The only idea I like but is unfortunately impossible to release afaik.

• Like 1

FO is very very strong on Ultima. Tech damage is terrible aside from ep4 and parts of ep1 and solo only, but they have some very strong weapons at their disposal that provide a lot of versatility. Unfortunately the cost of entry is fairly high in terms of price of most of these items. Just the necessities with enough hit is insane compared to what you need for a RA (V502/101, Spread Needle, Frozen Shooter, Charge Arms, Charge Vulcan, Ranger Wall, mag, H/Arms, gg). Coming from experience, FO definitely feels gimped until you start to get some decent items that let you do stuff other than sit there and SDJZ and Resta in groups, but their strength becomes pretty clear once you play with some geared ones and get some gear of your own.

The only thing I disagree with the last 2 posts is:

1. Grants still needs a boost :P Needs Sigurd's Staff sort of item for a bigger Grants% boost than Mercurius (and built in piercing Megid) and MG+ needs to work all the time.

2. Something to boost Rabarta (not a weapon or shield) since Hylian doesn't. I thought I read that Samurai Armor was supposed to, but it's broken?

4 hours ago, shong said:

I thought I read that Samurai Armor was supposed to, but it's broken?

Armors cannot have tech boosts (unless they are hard coded), also stat boosts although each entry has 2 of them, only the first one is used.

I have to fix that I guess but is not a priority.

4 hours ago, Depassage said:

Is it possible to make the Rare chime an SFX instead of a BGM? I always cut the BGM via the command for my own playlist and it cuts unfortunately the chime aswell.

it's not possible atm, you see SFX are all that stuff in tbe PAC files which are a bit complicated to edit, it was easier to make an OGG play but all OGGs are bgm (even the pb sounds, that you can find in OGG format).

I can try to do some stuff to play a sound from the common pac stuff but that would require the server to patch that file which means no custom racast step sound and any SFX pack would be overwritten.

5 hours ago, shong said:

The only thing I disagree with the last 2 posts is:

1. Grants still needs a boost :P Needs Sigurd's Staff sort of item for a bigger Grants% boost than Mercurius (and built in piercing Megid) and MG+ needs to work all the time.

Really ?

AaPInfg.jpg

It is definitively the strongest technique in episode IV, better than any SI with Glide Divine V00 as they are all weak to light.

Hylian's 100% boost is huge, beside the 30% of Mercurius you have the 40% of Dark Bridge (not easy to get I agree) and the most used armor on nuke Fo's is MG+ which reduces TP cost by 50% and also (randomly) boost Grants by 30%.

Schthack released the Sigurd Staff because Hylian Shield didn't exist and MG+ was usable by Fonewm only.

As for the piercing megid, there is already Ultima Reaper, Demonic Fork, Cursed Cloak and Minecraft Costume. (so at least one of each kind of items)

2. Something to boost Rabarta (not a weapon or shield) since Hylian doesn't. 

Why not a weapon or shield ? Three Seals boosts Rabarta by 50% and I don't think it needs more, as unlike Rafoie and Razonde, Rabarta has the ability to freeze enemies. I personally take both Hylian and 3S with me when I'm playing FO.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Depassage said:

Is it possible to make the Rare chime an SFX instead of a BGM? I always cut the BGM via the command for my own playlist and it cuts unfortunately the chime aswell.

Here's what I did: I took the original rare chime, made it extremely loud using a sound edit tool (so loud that it was horribly clipped) then applied it in the launcher under Options -> Personalization -> Rare Drop. Afterwards I just set the BGM in PSO to the lowest volume so that when I play my own music via Winamp, I don't hear the BGM anymore - however the rare drop sound is still audible.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, El Socko said:

Here's what I did: I took the original rare chime, made it extremely loud using a sound edit tool (so loud that it was horribly clipped) then applied it in the launcher under Options -> Personalization -> Rare Drop. Afterwards I just set the BGM in PSO to the lowest volume so that when I play my own music via Winamp, I don't hear the BGM anymore - however the rare drop sound is still audible.

This sounds like a really sketchy work around, especially for people who still like turning on BGM when their music gets stale.