Ideas to improve the server - feel free to post!

Speaking mainly for the newman FOs, having 250 mats for newmans would be really nice. It's tedious swapping between mags just to buff, then again to melee. They already kinda get shafted to exclusively support+melee in Ulti without adding extra mag-swappy goodness to the tedium. (you can still mwahaha boomboomboom if you really want to... just make sure your team is OK with it beforehand and won't want to hang you from the ceiling by your nostrils after two rooms)

Offensive techs are already weaker/more unwanted than HU/RA offense in late game thanks to resistances and damage cancel (grrrrrrrh damage cancel!), so it's kind of adding insult to the injury of avoiding offensive techs by having to also abandon MST and swap to a DEX/POW mag just so you can melee... but still have to carry around a MIND mag just so you can buff and debuff, going back and forth between them every few rooms.

It would make my day if I could buff, debuff, then go right to melee with one mag instead of buff, debuff, open the inventory while my allies kill the whole room before I get the other mag out..... that, or somehow magically fix damage cancel on techs (I CAN DREAM CANT I?)

Sega must have hated Forces to be so mean to them :b

Speaking of balance, it would be nice if we could have better balance for the classes and also the techs. At high levels of play, hunters and rangers are much stronger than forces. And thanks to items like Hylian Shield, Psycho Wand and Psycho Bridge, simple and gi techs are rarely used and very weak in comparison to ra techs.

A unit with a faster casting speed boost (V802) would be nice, in addition to stronger simple and gi techs by buffing current items or creating new items. It's kinda silly when a FOnewearl uses Rafoie to attack a single enemy weak to fire. The game is more interesting when all techs are worth using.

I agree with a lot of this. I don't really think casting speed is the problem, though (faster/more frequently casted spells might make damage cancel worse! x_x)

It's mostly the poor-in-comparison late game damage layered on top of nullifying ally damage.

Edited by GaiaMike

I used the search feature and looked for a few minutes to see if anyone has suggested this before but I haven't found anything. I was wondering if it would be a possibility to raise the inventory limit from 30... I don't really have an 'optimal' number in mind but it seems to me the limit doesn't really serve any purpose(??) especially since to have all the gear and consumables you need sometimes you barely have enough space to pick stuff up. Is it posibru? If so- likely to ever be implemented?

I don't think so... the inventory data is like at the beginning of the character data, so if you expand it, the rest of stuff will move and of course that would break things. It's part of the challenge no?

Speaking mainly for the newman FOs, having 250 mats for newmans would be really nice. It's tedious swapping between mags just to buff, then again to melee. They already kinda get shafted to exclusively support+melee in Ulti without adding extra mag-swappy goodness to the tedium. (you can still mwahaha boomboomboom if you really want to... just make sure your team is OK with it beforehand and won't want to hang you from the ceiling by your nostrils after two rooms)

Offensive techs are already weaker/more unwanted than HU/RA offense in late game thanks to resistances and damage cancel (grrrrrrrh damage cancel!), so it's kind of adding insult to the injury of avoiding offensive techs by having to also abandon MST and swap to a DEX/POW mag just so you can melee... but still have to carry around a MIND mag just so you can buff and debuff, going back and forth between them every few rooms.

It would make my day if I could buff, debuff, then go right to melee with one mag instead of buff, debuff, open the inventory while my allies kill the whole room before I get the other mag out..... that, or somehow magically fix damage cancel on techs (I CAN DREAM CANT I?)

Sega must have hated Forces to be so mean to them :b

I agree with a lot of this. I don't really think casting speed is the problem, though (faster/more frequently casted spells might make damage cancel worse! x_x)

It's mostly the poor-in-comparison late game damage layered on top of nullifying ally damage.

You don't need to switch to a mind mag to buff/debuff..... mst has no effect on the buffs, only the level of the tech matters for that. You can keep your pow mag on and buff just fine. Also it really shouldn't take that long to switch mags either, just do f2 > up > enter > up/down > enter; (i.e. open equip menu > move to mag > select mag slot > select other mag > equip mag).

It would be nice if resists weren't so borked of damage cancel didn't exist though, one can indeed dream.

Being an RPG game designer for years, I have a lot of experience when it comes into balancing/re-balancing gameplay elements. That said, FO's definitely need a bit more lovin' in terms of DPS, but that's it. I know they're a support class, but the fact that they're glass cannons also mean that they should have the ability to clear crowds and bosses quickly at the risk of getting squashed like a bug when a physical attacker/set damager strikes them.

Aside from *cough* damage cancels, they also suffer too much from limited gameplay, meaning, they would have to rely too much on Hylian Shield, Psycho Wand, Psycho Bridge, etc... in order to increase DPS-- and that already screams terrible game design! Not to mention, they already have limited ammo (TP), so I don't see why giving these techs a boost would be a bad idea.

People want to kill stuff with different solutions too, not just be tied to one strategy!

----------------------------

Anyway, If it's possible, I would like to share my ideas for how these offensive techniques should be revamped in terms of damage and damage types (I've already calculated how these buffs will scale to RA and HU in terms of DPS (no shifta), so if you're interested on my formula, please PM me.)

Foie: 170% buff, (if piercing is possible), otherwise 220% buff.
A really quick flame attack. In all honesty, I think piercing should be implemented to take care of crowds, but if it's not possible, then Foie's role should be spamming as much fireballs as possible to a single target that isn't resistant to it.

Barta: 180% damage buff

Pierces through enemies at a straight line. Good for "hall-monitoring".

Zonde: 220% damage buff

Its role is similar to foie's, only it can induce shock on some enemies.

Gifoie: 130% damage buff (if chain hitting is possible), otherwise 160% buff.

A hard-hitting, yet sluggish technique. The fact that it can't chain hits kind of bothers me since it takes quite a bit of time to disappear. If it's possible, it should be allowed so it can hit 2x within the animation's frames.

Gibarta: 190% damage buff.

It already requires aiming as the hitbox is similar to that of a cone, so its purpose should be similar to that of a shotgun.

Gizonde: 150% damage buff.

Excellent multi-target attack. Good range, chains enemies and targets, and has a possibility of shocking some enemies.

Rafoie: 140% damage buff.

It's a quick explosive attack-- known notoriously to clear a lot of crowds in episode 1 if equipped with the right gear. Episode 2 and 4 though? ...Ehh...

Rabarta: 140% damage buff.
Quick radial attack-- good for inducing freeze, but that's pretty much it.

Razonde: 140% damage buff.

Like rabarta, only it induces shock on some enemies.

Grants: 180% damage buff.
Hard-hitting light tech and significantly long range, but requires a bit of time to detonate, not to mention, high TP cost. Its purpose should really be burst damaging-- especially for bosses that aren't resistant to it.

Megid:

THE MOST USELESS AND PATHETIC TECH THERE IS. I don't think there's a way to buff this tech, unless increasing its death proc is possible.

I don't know if you readers notice, but the more targets a tech can hit, the less buff it gets (Speed and casting time also plays a factor here). This is pretty much standard RPG balancing and I don't see why PSO didn't have this type of balance in the first place (SEGA being lazy *cough*cough*).

Anyway, if there any chance that these buffs would be implemented, please give it a test run first (probably on a test server) before doing anything else!

Thank you for your time.

Edited by Kure-ji
  • Like 1

mst has no effect on the buffs, only the level of the tech matters for that. You can keep your pow mag on and buff just fine.

Also it really shouldn't take that long to switch mags either, just do f2 > up > enter > up/down > enter; (i.e. open equip menu > move to mag > select mag slot > select other mag > equip mag).

It would be nice if resists weren't so borked of damage cancel didn't exist though, one can indeed dream.

Oh good, I was always told mst affects buffs. It's good to know since that will save me some room-to-room time. Thanks!

Still... That few seconds it takes too swap a mag is all many people need to clear a room, which is a pain.

Edited by GaiaMike

+1 for Kure-ji suggestion. It's soooo good! I like to solo a lot, and in schtserv (sorry for bringing this dead server...) they had some good boosting to techs, I could nuke everything in solo and support in party... that's the only thing I miss from schtserv.

Being an RPG game designer for years, I have a lot of experience when it comes into balancing/re-balancing gameplay elements. That said, FO's definitely need a bit more lovin' in terms of DPS, but that's it. I know they're a support class, but the fact that they're glass cannons also mean that they should have the ability to clear crowds and bosses quickly at the risk of getting squashed like a bug when a physical attacker/set damager strikes them.

Aside from *cough* damage cancels, they also suffer too much from limited gameplay, meaning, they would have to rely too much on Hylian Shield, Psycho Wand, Psycho Bridge, etc... in order to increase DPS-- and that already screams terrible game design! Not to mention, they already have limited ammo (TP), so I don't see why giving these techs a boost would be a bad idea.

People want to kill stuff with different solutions too, not just be tied to one strategy!

Anyway, If it's possible, I would like to share my ideas for how these offensive techniques should be revamped in terms of damage and damage types (I've already calculated how these buffs will scale to RA and HU in terms of DPS (no shifta), so if you're interested on my formula, please PM me.)

Foie: 170% buff, (if piercing is possible), otherwise 220% buff.

A really quick flame attack. In all honesty, I think piercing should be implemented to take care of crowds, but if it's not possible, then Foie's role should be spamming as much fireballs as possible to a single target that isn't resistant to it.

Barta: 180% damage buff

Pierces through enemies at a straight line. Good for "hall-monitoring".

Zonde: 220% damage buff

Its role is similar to foie's, only it can induce shock on some enemies.

Gifoie: 130% damage buff (if chain hitting is possible), otherwise 160% buff.

A hard-hitting, yet sluggish technique. The fact that it can't chain hits kind of bothers me since it takes quite a bit of time to disappear. If it's possible, it should be allowed so it can hit 2x within the animation's frames.

Gibarta: 190% damage buff.

It already requires aiming as the hitbox is similar to that of a cone, so its purpose should be similar to that of a shotgun.

Gizonde: 150% damage buff.

Excellent multi-target attack. Good range, chains enemies and targets, and has a possibility of shocking some enemies.

Rafoie: 140% damage buff.

It's a quick explosive attack-- known notoriously to clear a lot of crowds in episode 1 if equipped with the right gear. Episode 2 and 4 though? ...Ehh...

Rabarta: 140% damage buff.

Quick radial attack-- good for inducing freeze, but that's pretty much it.

Razonde: 140% damage buff.

Like rabarta, only it induces shock on some enemies.

Grants: 180% damage buff.

Hard-hitting light tech and significantly long range, but requires a bit of time to detonate, not to mention, high TP cost. Its purpose should really be burst damaging-- especially for bosses that aren't resistant to it.

Megid:

THE MOST USELESS AND PATHETIC TECH THERE IS. I don't think there's a way to buff this tech, unless increasing its death proc is possible.

I don't know if you readers notice, but the more targets a tech can hit, the less buff it gets (Speed and casting time also plays a factor here). This is pretty much standard RPG balancing and I don't see why PSO didn't have this type of balance in the first place (SEGA being lazy *cough*cough*).

Anyway, if there any chance that these buffs would be implemented, please give it a test run first (probably on a test server) before doing anything else!

Thank you for your time.

I think this is too much.

FO may be weak against many enemies like Bringers, Hildetorrs and most of bosses but they are definitively the best class to solo many areas.

That is the only class I play and like to play in episode IV. RA techs are powerful enough. (can kill some ultimate enemies in only 3 hits with the adequate stuff)

Megid is not useless at all, go to episode II and spam Megid against Gees and Merillias, I don't see what could be better. Fastest way to kill Dorphon Eclair too.

Even more useful with penetration, which requires only an Ultima reaper or Cursed cloak (not hard to obtain).

About the TPs, Mesetas are free so Trifluids too.

Furthermore you can still equip Adepts and Mothergarb (which can be worn by any FO class here).

Thus it shouldn't cause any problem to anyone.

However I agree that SI techniques really should be boosted, I've rarely seen people using them, moreover there is no shield that boosts all SI techniques.

Thus FOnewearl's natural boost is worthless and FO are not efficient in quests that have only a few enemies per wave.

• Like 3

While I suppose the individual techpower values of each technique could theoretically be altered to change each one by different amounts, the root of the problem is enemy resists. The resists being what they are prompted higher tech boosts, which has lead to a large gap between those with the good techboosting gear (hylian shield, pwand, pbridge), and those without (red merge + fire scepter: agni is comparatively very weak). Resists are only there to mess with forces, no self-respecting hunter or ranger actually uses Burning or Tempest specials as a legitimate form of damage aside from 2 very specific niche cases (red handgun tempest on vol opt as hucast/hucaseal, burning on shimmering falz) which aren't even really great anyway.

I'd like si- techs and gifoie to get some love sometime, those would be nice to use if they weren't overshadowed (I'd be really happy if they made nei's claw real have 100% si- boost and usable on foney kekeke).

• Like 4

@R-78
While your opinion is respected, my point still stands.
"People want to kill stuff with different solutions too, not just be tied to one strategy!"
"they [Forces and tech users] also suffer too much from limited gameplay"
"(can kill some ultimate enemies in only 3 hits with the adequate stuff)"
You're talking about certain gears that boost damage. Again, most of which are extremely hard to obtain. And what if you do the unboosted metagame? HU's and RA's already have plentiful of weapons that can kill enemies faster than a FO (UNBOOSTED) and that alone is a huge problem.
This is an example of limited gameplay. You see FO's only utilizing techs as a tool instead of their main offensive tactic. In fact, they'd have to resort to becoming battle mages in order to splice up enemies.
Megid is not useless at all, go to episode II and spam Megid against Gees and Merillias... Fastest way to kill Dorphon Eclair too.
I agree with this, but the only reason I said that is because those are pretty much the only uses I see Megid for. I simply overexaggerated Megid's niche use. Other than that, what else can it be used for? I get the fact that UR is easy to get and grants penetration, but even then, the death proc is laughable on 90% of Ult mode's roster.
I'd really love to see a video on Megid's multiple uses however. Maybe that way, new players can learn from it o;
About the TPs, Mesetas are free so Trifluids too.
Technically, you need Meseta to buy trifluids, so technically, it's not free.
And here's the thing-- There are some people who can be poor (especially Ultima newbies) as well as people who have jobs/life and have no time to pick up random items lying on the ground and then piping back to town to sell those stuff.
Buying 10 Trifluids costs 36k. You have 30 inventory space-- most of which will be used by items/weapons/armor/etc...
If we bring ult mode normal gear into this (as they sell for 2k to 4k), it should be remedied by selling them right? But what about inventory management? Let's look at this:

A typical FOmar usually brings:
4 weapons, 1 Armor, 4 units, 1 shield, and 1 mag. = 11
Monofluid/Difluid/Trifluid = +3
Antiparalysis/Sol Atomizer = +2
16/30
We already have more than half than our inventory space occupied just by bringing in a standard survival kit.
Let's say you have 14 inventory space for normal gear to sell. That only nets you about 20-56k. That's already good since enemies drop extra fluids and other recovery items for you to use, thus prolonging your tp usage.
But what if you wanted to add more units to switch for, add more utility weapon(s) (with different %'s and such if you're deciding to be battle mage), and another mag for generic purposes?
EDIT: GM's can give out max meseta for free. Or so I've heard.
Bottom line is, if this tech problem is addressed, we might see a good opportunity for every class to become battle mages, not just FO's. We'll also see FO's become pure mages since techs are supposed to be their main source of offense.
Edited by Kure-ji

Ah, haven't seen that PW4 video in a while, good time there with my homies... I'm the FOmarl Ophelia btw.

Also, Megid. Good on paper but sadly, totally overshadowed by Hell with V502. Another smack in the face of FOs. Shame V501/502 doesn't help with Megid and maybe even Shock status from Zonde type techs ...

I see you've already crossed out the bit about Meseta but even then, you shouldn't have to rely on free Meseta handouts from GMs. Meseta has never been a problem on any of my characters, not with Fluids on FOs either. Later on, you'll most likely have an Adept (well, if you actually use it, depending on your unit freedom) and your TP bar will last quite a while. Also, you are highly likely to come across some Di- and Trifluids during a run or even gain a full bar from a level up if you aren't at 200 yet and keep an eye on your exp tnl. Finally, Psycho Wand taking half the TP cost from your HP bar if you are playing Nuke FO will make it even more trivial.

Edited by El Socko
  • Like 1

+1 to Kure-ji

Yeah i totally agree the techs/enemy resists need to be tweaked. i have Pwand and Hylian and i still have to worry about DMC'ing other people in ep4 (Ep4 being the absolute best place to use techs) It seems a tad unfair that i have to plink away at a pazuzu for 20 seconds to kill it while anybody with charge vulcans can kill the damn thing in a fraction of the time. about Half of ep1 and pretty much all of ep2 (aside from megid at some points) are just complete anti Nuke zones. You can tell the whole thing needs reworking if you need to resort to using demons to do any kind of damage.

Hum, so my grain of salt...

I don't think that FOrce need to be boosted at all.

(Though, I guess some skills could be reworked : when megid fails to instant kill, it could half the monster HP instead which would make it usefull anyway. But at a certain point of "reworking", it will no longer be pso I guess ^^)

However, I agree that some of the monster resists need to be lower a bit to make it more even.

What FO could use... is a bit of LUCK ! O.o Yep, luck is completely useless on FO, and even if it would need to be balance (25 % critical would be too much for a FO, but 10-15 would be great). Imagine if you could make a lot more of damage from time to time... Am not saying that will dramatically change the damage output of FO, but it will certainly make some more "joy" in the playing each time you trigger it.

Also some people are talking about the famous "meseta room". Ok, meseta has no value so it is given for free...

Hem, what about just rising the meseta drop by monster like x50 ? What about setting a real price to rare items ?

9 stars rare item : 10 000 mesetas,

10 stars : 50 000 mesetas

11 stars : 250 000 mesetas

12 stars : 1000 000 mesetas

Or something like that (I was on a 1000/10000/100000/1000000 idea before, but the one above seems more balance).

No need of "meseta room" anymore and we could finally have a use of extra stuff. 10 mesetas is a pity really ^^