A prototype of PSO has been discovered!

Yannv

:gem2:  :gem3:  :gem4:  :gem1:

A prototype of PSO for Sega Dreamcast has been discovered, dated almost one month before the final release on Japan (November 21, 2000), and it seems to have a ton of differences compared to the final version. The date of the prototype is from November 1st. Might be worth checking out the wiki that has been just published!!

:twins:

Personally I can't wait to watch the stream fully and document all of the differences before reading the wiki 🍿😁

Spoiler

At first glance, I saw differences in text localization, additional dialogues with Principal Tyrell, bosses are very different, mainly De Rol Le and Dark Falz from what I noticed (health points, different attack patterns and timing) and it seems like there were photon weapons with rainbow effects!

Source:
https://hiddenpalace.org/News/Phantasy_Star_Online_prototype

File:Pso proto gdr front.jpg

BTW the download of the image file is also available on the Wiki, if you want to try for yourself on an emulator or if you have a Dreamcast with GDEMU.

Edited by Yannv
  • Like 14

Pretty neat.  I was going through some of my old gaming mags the other day and found what I think was my first exposure to PSO back when it was still just an industry rumour.  Screenshot from "The Secret World of Dreamcast" supplement that came with the xmas 98 issue of Games Master in the UK

PXL_20230302_110805617.MP.jpg

• Like 3

Man that magazine must have been from before it was even a part of the phantasy star series (iirc the game was originally an independent ip and only became part of the phantasy star series later in development, similar to games like star fox adventures). This is a fantastic find though, if i manage to find the time I want to try and emulate the prototype, there's often fascinating discoveries in prototypes like this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fyrewolf5 said:

Man that magazine must have been from before it was even a part of the phantasy star series (iirc the game was originally an independent ip and only became part of the phantasy star series later in development, similar to games like star fox adventures). This is a fantastic find though, if i manage to find the time I want to try and emulate the prototype, there's often fascinating discoveries in prototypes like this.

Gamesmaster was also  a TV show in the UK if i remember correct

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, theancientsam said:

i like the ryuker during the derolee boss fight xd

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It would have been cool if he had used it to see what happens when you come back. I assume you start all over with the boss at full health (if you are solo playing). Wonder if that means that 3 people could chill in town waiting for the finishing blow piping down to get XP! :D

Edited by InCiDeR
  • Haha 1