Game wont load up

Hi I am a new player trying to get the game up and running on my pc, it will not load up and I have loaded up in my exceptions on my antivirus and it still wont load when I click on Play. When I click on the Loader the window pops up and I notice there is a drop down arrow with nothing in it, is that part of the problem or do I have missing info? 

14 hours ago, Vigilance said:

Hi I am a new player trying to get the game up and running on my pc, it will not load up and I have loaded up in my exceptions on my antivirus and it still wont load when I click on Play. When I click on the Loader the window pops up and I notice there is a drop down arrow with nothing in it, is that part of the problem or do I have missing info? 

That drop down bar has accounts that the client has stored, and has nothing to do with missing options. It is empty because you haven't played and stored an account with the remember password settings. Have you tried the launcher settings? Can you screen shot them if possible?

Edited by Clappy

That res seems a bit insane and could make the client shut instantly. Did u try anything else, like 1280? (I play in a 8k TV and 3840 still caused a lot of issues).

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Vigilance said:

image.png.30a2c57cb19fee8d01dee44f4772402a.pngimage.png.cfa5c15d2a116584fd66d06c0b28dccc.png

I haven't tried 4k myself, however I have heard that 4k+ resolution causes issues. I play on 2560 x 1440 and it works flawlessly. Try that and go lower if that still doesn't work. Also what do your graphic settings look like?

Edited by Clappy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

I'm having a similar issue but for me, it's basically like the game opens up to a black screen, but it refuses to load or even close. I haven't even touched the settings because I didn't wanna risk messing something up. and for some reason I had to shut down my computer (an old laptop from before 2010) just to close the damn game. I did look at the settings and saw it was set to about... I think 640x480 was the resolution setting for me.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:32 PM, DouglasQuilava said:

so... actually it turns out the logs say i'm only having one issue. it says it's failing to open _items.ini, what do i do to fix that, because I don't see _items.ini anywhere in the files.

Do you have https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

.NET Framework is a hard requirement if you do not.

Edited by Clappy
14 hours ago, Clappy said:

Do you have https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17851

.NET Framework is a hard requirement if you do not.

I do have it. but I got the game working. how? I didn't use the separate launcher program and just on the Ultima PSOBB program itself instead. for some reason that let the game boot properly. had to reset all the things I had set in the separate launcher tho.

Just now, DouglasQuilava said:

I do have it. but I got the game working. how? I didn't use the separate launcher program and just on the Ultima PSOBB program itself instead. for some reason that let the game boot properly. had to reset all the things I had set in the separate launcher tho.

I'll take note of that. That's a new one for me lol but glad to see you're game works now

5 minutes ago, Clappy said:

I'll take note of that. That's a new one for me lol but glad to see you're game works now

I think it might be that my computer is just weird. that and it's a pre-2010 laptop running Windows 10. there's bound to be some weird crap that happens when an old as heck machine is running a more modern OS instead of what it was originally intended to use, right?

6 minutes ago, DouglasQuilava said:

I think it might be that my computer is just weird. that and it's a pre-2010 laptop running Windows 10. there's bound to be some weird crap that happens when an old as heck machine is running a more modern OS instead of what it was originally intended to use, right?

there's problably an issue with your launcher and resorted to defaults when it loaded

1 minute ago, Clappy said:

there's problably an issue with your launcher and resorted to defaults when it loaded

eh, the game runs fine by just running Ultima PSOBB's executable instead of the standalone launcher. especially since the executable still opens a launcher that actually works. so i might just not use the standalone launcher. i'm just glad I can play the game. PSOBB is pretty interesting but I still haven't found a good way to juggle both PSOBB Ultima and Phantasy Star Universe Clementine.