What do we need?

3 minutes ago, Saber +7 said:

If you guys continue to be off topic and spam I'm going to lock what was otherwise a good topic. People are having real discourse here. I am sorry that some of the opinions hurt your feelings, but please don't derail the post.

I think R-78 can just unlock it again. 😂Yes we were putting good suggestions in and unlike you not saying Ephinea is amazing111 so much betta than this nub serva omg derpa I am best playa know all no @orfun.

if you hate us all so much, go play on Ephinea, that’s not even being nasty, it’s a good point, no one is making you play here, so if you hate the GMs and us all so much, laters.

Edited by Grantz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Saber +7 said:

If you guys continue to be off topic and spam I'm going to lock what was otherwise a good post. People are having real discourse here. I am sorry that some of the opinions hurt your feelings, but please don't derail the post.

Off topic? Literally discussing a point you made on the topic....Interesting how anything Lil' Willy doesn't agree with is "off topic" and "spam". Sure glad we have such an open minded and impartial "leader" here to build the community. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Saber +7 said:

Removing the shoutbox is not banning veteran players from being able to joke with their friends. It's keeping that off topic stuff off the front page of a PSO website. Again I just point to Ephinea as a place that's clearly more successful at the moment that's already done it.

I am not bitter about not personally being included in any of the "jokes". The only reason I care about them is because I think they're actively detrimental to Ultima due to the location of them.

who checks a private servers website, sees the players having a laugh and joking around and thinks "ahh i dont want to be a part of this!" its just absurd logic. when I go into a bar I don't leave cause I hear people laughing and find a different one, because that's actually a GOOD sign.

If Ephinea got rid of the chatbox then good for them, but youre confusing causation with coorelation. Ephinea does not have more people playing because they deleted the chatbox, and they don't have more players because they have embraced the HUcast master race. its just because its a more democratic and engaging server. this is something that you personally have some power over, but you instead try and blame the community that is actually sticking around for driving people away for... having fun?

I know the GMs do not have much power on Ultima, and that is a major part of the problem, but maybe embrace why the people that are here, are here instead of trying to alienate them and make them feel like they aren't welcome or cant be themselves

Edited by jdhenry124
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, R-78 said:

The EXP x5, I understand some like it and is attractive to new people but... It reduces the game durability, like you get lvl 200 super fast is the least entertaining way (farming CCA non stop) then no longer feel the hype of grinding levels when you're farming.

On the contrary; I only level new characters when 5x exp is active and I literally grind CCA from lvl 100-200.
Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I like to see progression — so I find the CCA grind to be 'fun'.

4 hours ago, Grantz said:

As for 5x exp, I think we all meant the random weekend here and there of it and no drops added to gal. Not all year round as then it detracts from having it on during events if it’s just 24/7. You can also lower experience if you really wish to with a command 

If 5x exp and greens were on prior to events I think it’d stop this scenario:

When levelling a new character and an event is on you feel torn between hunting or levelling. (Except PoST or Hylian) but personally I like to TTF ultima to level for a change of pace from CCA and even some of your quests as 5x exp from all those mobs adds up and you can hunt too. Though the case of, should I go hunt with people or spam CCA to get all chars maxed during events is a thing (for me atleast with like 8 characters and likely another 4 soon) especially if you have limited time to play. I kind of feel the exp and green names should be separate to events, or activated before them by just a little.

Yeah, that's what I was initially thinking; sporadic 5x exp and green names between events.

Once a month, have an entire week or weekend of 5x exp, and the following week turn it off. After a 1-2 week gap, turn on green names and turn it off once that week is over. Rinse/repeat.

Certainly that would be nothing 'game breaking' and would be just enough to give people things to do in event off-time.

6 hours ago, R-78 said:

More HH, not sure about this.

The more common it gets, the more you get used to it and the less you'll even bother logging into the game when it's on or off.

So far most rely way too much on it already, like very few people have been hunting big items out of HH.

And it's right to do that since drop rate x3 is a huge boost.

However, one thing for sure is that all timezones HHs would have saved us quite a few players in Asia. Now I barely see any japanese player in the game.

I've received PMs from Shanghai players telling how they could never get any HH at all, and as soon as I tried to make HH for them, I get to see complaints about how "GM maek HH wen no one is onlin wtff so stupeed".

The topic of discussion is about server capacity dwindling. When HH is active, the server is most active, is it not?
HH brings me to the yard and I know I'm not the only one.

Too many people do rely on it, you're right — but in terms of raw numbers, more HH = more people logging that wouldn't have otherwise.

6 hours ago, R-78 said:

I don't know if Ultima is dying or not but the player count is for sure anything but stable.

What can be done about it? Not much, because PSO is getting old and whatever happens, there will be people who like and people who dislike the changes.

I often hear the problem comes from a lack of new items content then how can one explain Ephinea's popularity when they use nothing but Vanilla content?

I'm not saying here that we can't improve, but just saying that it is impossible to bring Ultima to the 200+ player count glorious time of many years ago. Most who left just wanted to play brand new games, just like it was stated here with PSO2 and PSU.

I believe that if Ultima continues down this path of complacency, it will eventually lead to what Schthack has become; a shell of its former self.

What can be done about it? 🤔

Take the thoughts and input of the community into consideration for starters. There's some really fun and realistic ideas that could be implemented in this thread that would definitely keep me logging in more often.

I agree with some of @wade1212's ideas, to an extent. Ultima needs a more involved admin staff. We need community leaders that are actually present and willing to interact with the community more. I believe that would be beneficial in helping to 'grow' the community.

As would a sort of advertising campaign via social media and Twitch streaming. I'm sure there are a lot of would-be players that just haven't heard of Ultima yet.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grantz said:

go play on Ephinea

I play on pretty much every server. I have accounts with gear across all the big servers. 

I won't reply anymore, but you guys can keep wondering why the server is "dying" (I actually think it's okay for the most part it's just not really attracting much of the "new" crowd) and look back to this to see how you take advice / opinions about how to improve. It will answer all the questions about why people are flocking elsewhere lol. Good luck fellas. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Saber +7 said:

In regards to the baranz thing r-78 if you're actually hunting then you don't play that last part of your quest. You reset like a sane person.

So you're going to skip 84 Baranz out of the 132 and think it's worth it?

I can farm 20 Baranz in 5:30 count to count with Mines Offensive, that is one baranz every 16.5 seconds.

For IDS part 1 to outclass that Baranz kill ratio with its 48 Baranz, you'd need to reach Mine 2 in 13 minutes and 12 seconds.

Can you finish the first part of IDS solo in 13 minutes and 12 seconds? I seriously doubt so.

1 minute ago, Saber +7 said:

I won't reply anymore, but you guys can keep wondering why the server is "dying" (I actually think it's okay for the most part it's just not really attracting much of the "new" crowd) and look back to this to see how you take advice / opinions about how to improve. It will answer all the questions about why people are flocking elsewhere lol. Good luck fellas. 

Actually R-78 has said the following already in this very topic:

Agrees with 5x exp now and then

Has an idea that has been put to Larva for a hit event

Wants episode 2 mobs EVP reverted (which I believe you, yourself wanted)

Larva has to ok all of this but that’s not GMs not listening.

I am telling you now, if this server went vanilla, we’d be no different than Ephinea so why play here? I certainly just wouldn’t bother playing anymore as I don’t want vanilla, neither do tons. You might - sure, but you can play that on Ephinea can’t you? That’s the point here, why be what another server already is when it already exists?

8 minutes ago, R-78 said:

Can you finish the first part of IDS in 13 minutes and 12 seconds? I seriously doubt so.

He doesn’t play your quests and he could do it in 10 seconds with optimal DF 🙄 Such a nub queen 

On topic: will you be suggesting some of what’s been discussed with Larva/Making polls etc, if so which points

(I’m asking for clarity for some so they can’t claim you haven’t “listened”) so we can move on from that being said further in the topic.

Edited by Grantz

50 minutes ago, 777 said:

On the contrary; I only level new characters when 5x exp is active and I literally grind CCA from lvl 100-200.
Maybe I'm in the minority on this, but I like to see progression — so I find the CCA grind to be 'fun'.

I actually sometimes do that when I want to max level my bank/storage characters so that I can join any room on ultimate when people need a trade.

In my opinion it's just sad that max level is devaluated, I still remember back in the time everyone was like "woaaah a level 200 in this room!" and now on ultima it's the opposite, I'm more surprised at seeing non lvl 200 chars run with me.

But I can understand if you like it. I'm not going to get rid of exp x5 or anything.

Only Larva (and Soly) have permissions to touch that, when Easter ended, I simply asked Soly to keep the Green Name up for a few days because I agree it sucks that it's always "all or nothing" with Events/XP boost/Green Name.

50 minutes ago, 777 said:

The topic of discussion is about server capacity dwindling. When HH is active, the server is most active, is it not?
HH brings me to the yard and I know I'm not the only one.

I get that, what I'm trying to say is that at some point, too many happy hours make them not attractive anymore.

Like, if there were 4 HH a day, would you still log and play all of them if you could?

@wade1212 can tell you how Destiny players literally log out when HH gets activated.

In my honest opinion a 1x HH per day ratio is pretty fair, during 2021 ultima event, average was at 1.492 HH per day, taking into consideration a player is available 1/3 of a day, they can supposedly get in average one full HH every 2 days if the 1.492 HH were rotating for every possible timezones.

Do you think being able to play one HH every 2 days is enough or not?

(I am here talking about event periods because that's when HH impacts are the most noticeable)

37 minutes ago, Grantz said:

On topic: will you be suggesting some of what’s been discussed with Larva/Making polls etc, if so which points

(I’m asking for clarity for some so they can’t claim you haven’t “listened”)

I wish but most of my messages get ignored.

(My request to make a Morfos poll was gladly one of the things that got approved!)

I guess I can still ask Soly for minor stuff (GN and XP5 out of events) but bigger concerns require Larva, and we can't do anything without his approval. More GMs won't change anything to that fact.

Stuff that require a lot of development such as "unlocking" bonus with kill numbers probably not going to happen because Soly is our only man for it and he has a life.

55 minutes ago, RocketTots said:

"We shouldn't become ephinea, but we should do what ephinea does because people have fun on shoutbox".

I'm glad you were able to find a deputy for the fun police. Honestly if you think removing an avenue for people to recognize other players, have fun,  and BUILD relationships will help improve a community then you are more out of touch with the playerbase than already assumed. 

For the record, I would never ban or remove the shoutbox.  As a matter of fact I've almost been banned for defending someone's right to speak on the chat box / discord on another server.  I just personally think the @ fart onion whatever thing is stupid.  Many other people feel the same way, not just Wilson.  Its not a personal attack, only my opinion.

As far as vanilla.  If any of you know me then you know I'm the opposite.  I like the exact opposite of vanilla and wish everyone would play Destiny.  I'm only telling you what the majority of PSO players think, that I have met and played with.  

Ultima probably should be the #1 PSO but sadly its at the bottom for now (even behind Destiny).  Toxicity and unwillingness to change are the cause of this.  I consider Ultima my home server also, which is why I'm here writing this trash.  I know most of if not all that I wrote will never be implemented but if we could just start with one thing.  Incentives to play, that would be a step in the right direction.

2 minutes ago, R-78 said:

I get that, what I'm trying to say is that at some point, too many happy hours make them not attractive anymore.

Like, if there were 4 HH a day, would you still log and play all of them if you could?

@wade1212 can tell you how Destiny players literally log out when HH gets activated.

In my honest opinion a 1x HH per day ratio is pretty fair, during 2021 ultima event, average was at 1.492 HH per day, taking into consideration a player is available 1/3 of a day, they can supposedly get in average one full HH every 2 days if the 1.492 HH were rotating for every possible timezones.

Do you think being able to play one HH every 2 days is enough or not?

(I am here talking about event periods because that's when HH impacts are the most noticeable)

I joke about this but its actually true.  I would never log out of an Ultima HH unless I absolutely had to.  On Destiny people do that all the time or bypass it cause its a regular rotating schedule which they can catch nearly everyday.  Also 2x normal drops contributes to this.

Its just another perspective that I'm trying to give in the things in writing.  Most here only play Ultima so they lack that perspective.  Its not a personal knock, im only trying to recommend some things that can be done better.

16 minutes ago, R-78 said:

I wish but most of my messages get ignored.

(My request to make a Morfos poll was gladly one of the things that got approved!)

I guess I can still ask Soly for minor stuff (GN and XP5 out of events) but bigger concerns require Larva, and we can't do anything without his approval.

If anything, THIS is the biggest change that is needed, giving some power over to you, serverus and Soly. I’m sure you’ve suggested this before but if Larva can’t get online much then this NEEDS to happen for everyone’s sake as it’s so dumb how bottlenecked you are in doing anything.

I really think I may make a topic or contact Larva about this and others really should too as it’s so incredibly stupid and need to get this point across one way or another.

Edited by Grantz

I come back to play every so often, but when I do I want to help the server improve, and I make suggestions. And I'll spend a while thinking and testing and balancing, and make a decent length post that gets traction, and then gets shot down with literally no explanation. It's demoralising as shit. 

If you asked me what Ultima's real problem is, I'd say it's because it has a garbage admin team. I'm not saying the admins are garbage, but there's no cohesion. 

You have one admin who cares and puts a ton of effort in, but is stonewalled or ignored by Larva for most of their ideas. You have a mod that's actively antagonistic and dismissive of the game and the server. Other admins let things slide that would have people instantly permanently banned on any other platform I've seen. The rest of the admins are inactive completely, giving new players the perception that the staff dead is dead to begin with. And finally, you have a server owner who makes decisions on a whim, and doesn't seem to care about the server any more. I made the suggestion of a lead admin position, and guess what? It was fucking ignored. 

Why bother trying to improve the server when half the people in charge literally don't care?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Harvest said:

You have one admin who cares and puts a ton of effort in, but is stonewalled or ignored by Larva for most of their ideas. You have a mod that's actively antagonistic and dismissive of the game and the server.

Exactly! Everything falls on R-78 and Soly who can’t implement anything without approval then you have let’s say Brand+9 who does literally nothing other than threaten to ban people/whine and want chatbox removed because he hates other peoples opinions and seeing others have friends.

How the hell are GMs meant to do anything when they’re so restricted and some should have their status removed from the server as they contribute 0. Except elitism and passive aggressiveness of course as that attracts new players and banging on about bloody TA who no one cares about.

Edited by Grantz

This isn't the first thread where things like this are discussed...but I totally agree with @Harvest that the lack of mod/GM/admin cohesion or democratic process is severely lacking which ultimately prevents ideas/suggestions on this server to move forward.

I hope @Larva reads this feedback and gives it some critical thought.

I can't speak for other GM's, but from what I observed, @R-78 critically reviews feedbacks/suggestions and looks at it from an overall picture, taking into consideration player engagement, balance, and how it affects the server short term and long term. She looks at the whole picture and either agrees or disagrees with suggestions with good feedback as to WHY something is a good idea or bad idea. Even when she does her regular duties in game (redeems, happy hours, etc.) she does it with complete fairness to both the player and the server.

When you have someone like that on your team, shouldn't you be trusting them more that they're doing their due diligence to eliminate the noise and present ideas that would actually be improvements to increase player engagement?

I mean that's the whole point...isn't it? Running a place isn't cheap (server space for game/domain/forums/manpower/etc.). You have a DT system in place which generates revenue to cover all that...but the only way it will benefit is if you have more people playing..right? Or am I missing something?

EDIT: There are probably other members of the team like @Soly who do a crapton on the backend to keep things running smoothly and I apologize for not including you. I can only speak for what is front-facing.

Edited by TheIronSheik
  • Like 2