What do we need?

59 minutes ago, wade1212 said:

You are right, so many things to reply to so I will just try to make one point.

Ephinea isn't popular because new content, its popular for its vanilla experience and incentives.  Each of the 4 PSO servers that started within the last 3 or 4 years all have incentives to play.  Ultima literally has none.  Did you know that on Ephinea something can be proposed, then voted on by the community.  If the vote passes its then implemented.  Here is an example of one that passed https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/full-dressing-room-name-changes.6395/page-2 and one that failed https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/exp-curve-adjustment.8080/page-4.  Community involvement goes a long way to keeping people around.

Ephinea also uses the HBR (hunter boost road) and event milestones.  I wont go into all the specifics of both but they are basically incentives where the more you play, the more things you get. (i.e. exp boost, drop boosts, meseta and other items.)  Also Hardcore mode, sandbox mode, anguish levels (you can boost the enemy level by up to like 5000%), lucky day system.  

Its a vanilla PSO experience with modern day incentives and features.  The numbers have proven that the majority of new and old players want this over any other version of PSO.

So you ask, what do we need.  I'd say a complete overhaul of everything if you don't want to be left behind.  A relaunch with some advertising to attract new players.  Re branding if you will.

Side Note:  Saber 7 Wilson is right about the whole @ chatbox thing.  Same goes for the onion fart thing or whatever it is.  I dont agree with censoring anyone ever for anything, its just weird and makes me never wanna log in to the forum.

Maybe thats more than one point.

I agree with you. Ultima is such a nice place but I'd like to see some features from Ephinea, anguish levels is a good idea imo, daily / weekly quests with special rewards could be also a thing to look into.

About Happy Hours and people complaining about them, I think they are a good addition to the game, and as R-78 said x3 drop is indeed a HUGE boost, but I also understand that it can bother some people around the globe, an entire rework of the HH system would be DOPE, add some functionnalities like only a type of weapon have a better droprate for example, activate exp x5 if players kill all together an established number of monsters (I think Schtack had a similar system in the past, I'm not sure).

I was also thinking maybe a "Happy Hour Ticket" with a low droprate, if we come up with good ideas for HH rework and rebalance of course. "Happy Hour Ticket" with the actual HH system will just not work.

One more thing, some people are really involved into making this server a good place, we can't thank them enough, but I'm sick to see that a lot of ideas that comes from them are simply ignored, even after all they did, and I'm talking about new quests, items, mini events ideas, adjustments, server programming.

So I completely understand players that just left and moved on Destiny / Ephinea. One of the main reason I'm still playing here is the community, I like playing with all of you, but others do not necessarily think the same.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Grantz said:

I’m not sure why everyone is on about Ephinea? We aren’t trying to be vanilla at all.

I wouldn’t want vanilla exp rates and all original only weapons as I’ve done that with GameCube and sure many others feel the same, however if people do want that, then there is another server for that, so would be pointless cloning them, when both can offer something unique.

The voting system is a good idea but bare in mind R-78 literally did this weeks ago for the summer Morfos buffs (we had a poll) It could happen more often though for sure 

I don’t want vanilla either. I prefer the exact opposite but I am I’m the minority. I’m just staring what the majority of veteran and new players want. Most people want vanilla with some cool features, a good player base and an admin that is involved. Ultima has none of that. 
The vote that shiida was cool but not the same thing as what im

talking about with EE. We learned this with the Serene Swan debacle. 

The topic is what do we do. What do we do to make this server more populated and alive. It’s pretty easy. 
- vanilla pso

- year round drops

- no more dts ( or at minimum put everything on the donation list.)

- get rid of all the trash event items 

- lock all dark weapons and a few others 

- don’t copy other servers but totally revamp the whole system as far as incentives. 
- no more 5x exp or green names. 
- woi no longer drops pds 

* Most importantly I think people want an involved admin / staff. 

These are the things that are proven by numbers to be what the majority of people want.  I play every pso related server that I know of. I only reference ephinea here because the majority of my team there are ex ultima players and I listen to the things they say or wanted for UU and the reasons they left. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Rendlan said:

Let's not compare and contrast ephinea or schthack. What does Ultima need.

You have to compare. There are only about 300 people in the world playing PSOBB. The majority are at one place for many reasons I listed plus more. It’s time to revamp and restructure. At a minimum you should be looking at things done better by the newer servers. 

1 hour ago, wade1212 said:

The topic is what do we do. What do we do to make this server more populated and alive. It’s pretty easy. 
- vanilla pso

- year round drops

- no more dts ( or at minimum put everything on the donation list.)

- get rid of all the trash event items 

- lock all dark weapons and a few others 

- don’t copy other servers but totally revamp the whole system as far as incentives. 
- no more 5x exp or green names. 
- woi no longer drops pds 

its pretty silly to suggest that we just become another Ephinea when ephinea already exists. why would anyone come to play here if its exactly the same? If we are talking about how to increase the server its counter-productive to try and peal off a couple players from another server that already has all of these things. People play Ultima for different reasons they play Ephinea, so we should be refining and improving those differences instead of alienating the people that actually enjoy the game as it is here for the chance of maybe getting some ephinea people to give up their characters on that server to play here.

We learned this with the Serene Swan debacle. 

what I learned from the SS debacle is that the community doesn't know what it wants, and when it gets what its been asking for (new custom weapon that's actually useful) it complains about it to the point that its toxic and cant be discussed anymore.

the suggestions that would actually work are community involved rewards. I suggested this a year ago, I've seen half a dozen people suggest it since. Have rewards, drops, green names, HHs, etc. unlocked by the community through meeting some goal instead of it just being random. Mini events like the charge s-rank event, the custom mag events, the meme events, all need to be brought back and regular. The problem is these things require a significant time investment from admin and right now we have shiida and... saber? and one of those two spends most of his time complaining about everything that makes ultima ultima. again everything that would improve the server the admin either cannot do or they wont do. 

Edited by jdhenry124
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Grantz said:

Could this be something Soly could fix with Larva’s approval?

Definitely.

You can also lower experience if you really wish to with a command 

Yes, it is what I do myself, but not everyone thinks about that and when they realize they went 200 too fast, it's already too late.

And even so there's also temptation, just like if everyone new to Ultima was asked if they wanted a free Dark meteor to save all the grind, how many would actually decline?

If 5x exp and greens were on prior to events I think it’d stop this scenario:

When levelling a new character and an event is on you feel torn between hunting or levelling. (Except PoST or Hylian) but personally I like to TTF ultima to level for a change of pace from CCA and even some of your quests as 5x exp from all those mobs adds up and you can hunt too. Though the case of, should I go hunt with people or spam CCA to get all chars maxed during events is a thing (for me atleast with like 8 characters and likely another 4 soon) especially if you have limited time to play. I kind of feel the exp and green names should be separate to events, or activated before them by just a little.

Now I get your point and agree 100%.

55 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

meme events

Those events don't necessarily require GMs to happen, players can host them themselves.

I'm sure lot of people would be willing to donate rewards for it if need be. I would.

You made that Secret Santa event past year which was very interesting and enjoyable to the community.

1 hour ago, Sir Rendlan said:

Let's not compare and contrast ephinea or schthack. What does Ultima need.

This is unintuitive. It's like asking what we could do better when "better" is right in front of us just because we don't want to follow another persons foot steps. Current Schthack Blue Burst is a dumpster fire though. Nothing to compare to there. It should've stayed dead after Chronos. 

I don't think anyone is saying straight up become Ephinea. People just want a lot of what they have going on there (hbr, year-round drops, normal monster / class stats). Ultima really should've been the one to fill the role of Schthack after it passed away and for awhile it did. Schthack as I mentioned before was the best blend so far of custom PSO with "vanilla" PSO. Ultima has gone a bit far off the tracks of what the typical PSO player wants (again this can be seen by the population numbers, as I write this there's 16 on Ultima and 73 on Ephinea).

There are only about 300 people in the world playing PSOBB.

This number is incorrect by a factor of at least 4. A year or two ago we had a debate about how many unique players play PSO weekly among the most popular places (Scht gamecube, Ephinea, and Ultima). The number came out to about 1.5k not even including Destiny, Schthack BB, Kaz GC, Eden BB (dead anyway), any of the Dream Cast variants as well as Sylverant GC.

Something you guys have to realize though about "ideas" and things is that Soly is VERY busy. He has a real life. I won't speak too much for him, but he doesn't get to work on Ultima pretty much ever unless it's a pertinent bug fix. 

4 hours ago, wade1212 said:

Side Note:  Saber 7 Wilson is right about the whole @ chatbox thing.  Same goes for the onion fart thing or whatever it is.  I dont agree with censoring anyone ever for anything, its just weird and makes me never wanna log in to the forum.

I am glad someone is willing to verbally agree. Ephinea seemingly has removed their shoutbox all together and at this point I think that would be good for Ultima too. Pretty much nothing related to PSO ever goes on in there and unless you're one of the like 10-20 people familiar with the extremely stupid inside jokes it literally looks like robots or little kids. 

In regards to the baranz thing r-78 if you're actually hunting then you don't play that last part of your quest. You reset like a sane person.

Edited by Saber +7

4 minutes ago, Saber +7 said:

I am glad someone is willing to verbally agree. Ephinea seemingly has removed their shoutbox all together and at this point I think that would be good for Ultima too. Pretty much nothing related to PSO ever goes on in there and unless you're one of the like 10-20 people familiar with the extremely stupid inside jokes it literally looks like robots or little kids. 

"We shouldn't become ephinea, but we should do what ephinea does because people have fun on shoutbox".

I'm glad you were able to find a deputy for the fun police. Honestly if you think removing an avenue for people to recognize other players, have fun,  and BUILD relationships will help improve a community then you are more out of touch with the playerbase than already assumed. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, R-78 said:

Definitely.

Be really good if Soly can implement this (even if another poll is needed first about nerfing ep2 evp) and possibly get you the permission for changing exp rate/greens without Larva having to be around/do it as you are far more active so could turn it on/off much easier/more often, as obviously having it on 24/7 isn’t what’s wanted either.

Begin the polls and give the queen exp privileges protest has begun!

We will give Larva many whales with booty pants if both happen.

Just now, RocketTots said:

"We shouldn't become ephinea, but we should do what ephinea does because people have fun on shoutbox".

I'm glad you were able to find a deputy for the fun police. Honestly if you think removing an avenue for people to recognize other players, have fun,  and BUILD relationships will help improve a community then you are more out of touch with the playerbase than already assumed. 

I mean what do you have to say for a concrete example of a more active community that's already deleted it?

When I say don't become Ephinea the context is within the game of PSOBB itself. I figured that was obvious, but in case you couldn't figure that out...

12 minutes ago, Saber +7 said:

Pretty much nothing related to PSO ever goes on in there

People ask and answers questions related to PSO and discuss PSO literally every single day in the chatbox. Every single day. If you ban the veteran players from being able to joke with their friends then there's no reason for them to check the chatbox and answer the new players questions or help people. I know inside jokes are only fun when you're a part of them, but maybe just try and make some friends instead of being bitter about it

Edited by jdhenry124
  • Like 2

NO FUN ALLOWED! ALL FUN IS NOW BANNED BECAUSE THEN MORE PEOPLE WILL PLAY THIS GAME!

526006a594dd865ab0905b92d97d3974.gif

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

People ask and answers questions related to PSO and discuss PSO literally every single day in the chatbox. Every single day. If you ban the veteran.players from being able to joke with their friends then there's no reason for them to check the chatbox and answer the new players questions or help people. I know inside jokes are only fun when you're a part of them, but maybe just try and make some friends instead of being bitter about it

Removing the shoutbox is not banning veteran players from being able to joke with their friends. It's keeping that off topic stuff off the front page of a PSO website. Again I just point to Ephinea as a place that's clearly more successful at the moment that's already done it.

I am not bitter about not personally being included in any of the "jokes". The only reason I care about them is because I think they're actively detrimental to Ultima due to the location of them.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RocketTots said:

Honestly if you think removing an avenue for people to recognize other players, have fun,  and BUILD relationships will help improve a community then you are more out of touch with the playerbase than already assumed. 

You have to want to communicate with the community and not be an opinionated ahole that feels superior to everyone to understand this point, so it’ll fall on deaf ears as we aren’t optimal or elite enough. We just spam “bad” quests with our DMs and have fun and make friends, friends are bad mmkay, 3  not friends is optimal for TA. No more and you’re not even allowed to think about listening to their opinions or letting them speak; you talk at them until they nod and agree as bored as f**k of you. This is the community we should strive for!!

also whales and @@@@@@@@

• Like 2

If you guys continue to be off topic and spam I'm going to lock what was otherwise a good post. People are having real discourse here. I am sorry that some of the opinions hurt your feelings, but please don't derail the post.

Edited by Saber +7
  • Haha 1