Can you guys help me figure out how changing these drop values work exactly? :0

Proutbedaine

Essentially I'm playing around in the .ini files of a Tethealla server build to play PSOBB offline with my own drop rates and etc.
I figured out pretty much how to change all the values and how they work.

But those are the values I can't figure out that are found in the ship.ini file:

"
# The following are the common drop rates used on the server with 100000 being all the time and
# 0 being never.
#
# Box weapon drop rate
# Box armor/shield drop rate
# Box mag drop rate
# Box tool drop rate
# Box meseta drop rate
"
-----------------------------------

So my first train of thought was *if* 100000 is basically 100%
Then why if you addition 30 + 20 + 0.001 + 50 + 40 = 140.001% ?
Which doesn't make sense since each monster/box cannot drop more than *ONE* item at a time if they drop something at all.

That is *IF* those are the drop rates of commons in *boxes you break* exclusively (because the wording is a bit vague and I'm not 100% sure?)
But let's assume that for now.

Then I played around with other values and discovered that the value for their rare drop rate on monsters goes from 0 to 255.
And when played around with, in the ItemRT.gsl file editor of our dear Soly, the final % chance after going through the DAR (Drop Anything Rate) goes up exponentially. (I also found out that for rare drops in boxes, adding 8 basically doubles the last %. And for monsters it's adding 9.)

So why I'm mentioning this is then I thought to myself...what if it's the same thing with those values? What if each fraction of 100000 doesn't equal to a precise %?

So then I asked about it on a discord server to some people and the owner came up with this theory.

That in fact it might be a precise % (obtained by dividing the values by 100000)
To explain why the total is bigger than 100% it's probably something dumb, like for example that each item roll is done independently and one after the other.
Like 30% of obtaining Weapon, if you don't get it then you proceed to the 20% chance of obtaining an Armor/Shield/Unit  and so on until the last one of 40% of obtaining an amount of Meseta.
And if you fail that roll too then you don't have anything.

So with our hypothesis the values translate regularly to:
30% Weapon
14% Armor/Shield/Unit
0.0056% Mag (although mag can only be found in Ep.1/2 in region 6/7 of each. Aka Mines 1/2 and Jungle North/South)
27.9972% Tool
11.19888% Meseta
16.79832% No drops

So if that theory is correct then logically testing this would prove it:

# Box weapon drop rate
# Box armor/shield drop rate

By giving me a 50/50 drop rate of *EXCLUSIVELY* orange and blue boxes.

I tested it out and it doesn't. I still get of everything.

-----------------------------------

So now my questions are.

- What does these value exactly do?
- Is it limited to modifying the drops of breaking boxes?
- Does it affect only the balance of which type of drop I get over the others? (if so I might leave it that way since the usual balance is pretty fine)
- Does it affect which item within those types of items I'm getting?

I don't have the knowledge to go in the source code to figure that out myself unfortunately nor the will to learn it.
I'm not asking anyone to go do that for me neither btw.
But if anyone figured it out already and has the answer please let me know. Otherwise if you have ANY kind of theory please speak up I'll be interested to hear it and test it out if it's not too tedious to test!
  • Confused 1

The amazing @Ender replied to me on discord with these answers! I'm very grateful! Also gave me the permission to copy paste them all here. ❤️

----------------------------------

"
That theory sounds awfully familiar :I. I wasted some time looked at the Teth source and for public Teth...

- What does these value exactly do?

I see how the table for commons in the source is setup but I don't understand how these rates translate. For example with the default configuration file, you get this table where each element is just 100000 / item_type_rate where the rate is from the ship.ini.

common_rates[0] = 3

common_rates[1] = 5

common_rates[2] = 10000

common_rates[3] = 2

common_rates[4] = 2

The ship_server then builds a new table with 100000 elements that's used for generating a random item type. The way it's built is really odd, but basically lower numbers get inserted more often. So the table starts to look like this:

I think they are "roughly" out of 100000 but not exactly. Too lazy to figure out how to translate these to real odds.

- Is it limited to modifying the drops of breaking boxes?

It's only for boxes and only for boxes that have item.data[0] and item.data[1] both set to 0. So only truly random boxes. For example, the boxes at Dragon in TTF are all set types and not truly random  I think.

- Does it affect only the balance of which type of drop I get over the others? (if so I might leave it that way since the usual balance is pretty fine)

For truly random boxes, yes.

- Does it affect which item within those types of items I'm getting?

No.

But that's all for public Teth. 

I think all of this data is in the ItemPT.gsl which was ripped from Gamecube years ago, so it probably makes sense for servers to be using that instead of those hard coded rates. I know that you're asking about your own PSOBB server using public teth (which doesn't use the ItemPT), but just pointing this out before people think it automatically applies to others.

?hash=cce438bfb8160fbf52b500eccb017860
"

So yeah I see how it works now. Explains why I was still getting other items. I essentially just made it so weapons and armors got even lower numbers than others and was inserted in the new table way more often so I got way more of those indeed but didn't stop others from spawning.

And if the ItemPT.gsl isn't used then it explains a lot because I opened those with Soly's tool and saw how much more simple it was layed out in there and could be modified easily with precision and stuff haha. Much better than the other system obviously. The rates didn't seem to align neither. But that I dunno if they kept around the same rates or not.

And yeah like I thought then I won't play with it then because the current balance is fine. I don't want an excessive amount of one type or stop some from spawning by putting them at 0. Nice to know how it works and that it's an option though!

Now if someone feel like calculating how changing those values equates to what kind of % or fraction rates...then by all means, feel free to do so. UwU

(jk I seriously don't expect anyone to do this ever hahaha!)

Edited by Proutbedaine