PC SMB3 style Mario Builders

Amaranthine

Hey, everyone.

As a major classic Mario lover, I've mainly spent my time growing up around Nintendo. Playing various Super Mario games was a great bonding experience I had with my brothers and I still play some of the older classics along with ROM Hacks that I may find from time to time.

One of the main art styles I loved the most growing up was without a doubt, the SMB3 style with a panel to panel level design. So I've decided to share something with you guys that I came across nearly 10 years ago called Super Mario Bros: Game Master.

What is it?

SMB: Game Master is a fanmade non-profit game that functions like a Super Mario Maker on PC for SMB3. It's really quite old and hasn't had a single update since the date of launch so the quirks and physics in it won't ever be seeing revisions. During the first year of its launch, a website was made where players of this game could upload and share their levels (and worlds). After 5 years of running, the site was unfortunately shut down.

I play this game to this day off and on a bit regularly. Ever since the website for submissions was shut down in 2015, I've mostly been making courses and worlds for myself, knowing that others won't see them or play them. It wasn't until very recently that I had found out that there were two different Mario Builders that succeeded Game Master.

So! The purpose of this thread was to share some of my work with anyone who may be interested. If you'd like to try some of my courses on this old fangame, come join the Discord and give them a try or make creations for me (and others) to try out. I know I'm not the only Mario nerd out here ^^

https://discord.gg/BkSZTCEjjE <------ My SMB: Game Master Discord

Edited by Amaranthine
  • Like 2

Super Mario Bros 3 was my childhood game, I still remember and miss playing it with my father. It is my favorite game of all time by far.

But when I discovered SNES emulators and played Super Mario World for the first time, I got really interested in making my own levels and started researching until I discovered Lunar Magic, a program made by FuSoYa that edits SMW roms. A few years have passed until discovering SMWCentral, which is a community dedicated to host romhacks, patches, custom musics and graphics and many tools that complements the stuff Lunar Magic can't do alone. I think I was like 11 or 12 years old at that time.

Although I don't really mess with this stuff nowadays (now I'm 25 years old), I still really like to see what's being done on the scene (and I still hope for some of the unreleased romhacks I really like to be finished one day). Unfortunately I never finished any project but I contributed a lot to the community with a few patches/graphic packs and so on.

BTW, one of my main goals with SMW was to completely recreate the SMB3 engine and mechanics into the SMW. That was because the tools available for SMB3 romhacking was very limited and difficult to work with. The hacking community put all their effort into coding stuff for SMW, so it was kinda easier to go that route to recreate the experience of my favorite childhood game.

Edited by Yannv
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Yannv said:

Super Mario Bros 3 was my childhood game, I still remember and miss playing it with my father. It is my favorite game of all time by far.

But when I discovered SNES emulators and played Super Mario World for the first time, I got really interested in making my own levels and started researching until I discovered Lunar Magic, a program made by FuSoYa that edits SMW roms. A few years have passed until discovering SMWCentral, which is a community dedicated to host romhacks, patches, custom musics and graphics and many tools that complements the stuff Lunar Magic can't do alone. I think I was like 11 or 12 years old at that time.

Although I don't really mess with this stuff nowadays (now I'm 25 years old), I still really like to see what's being done on the scene (and I still hope for some of the unreleased romhacks I really like to be finished one day). Unfortunately I never finished any project but I contributed a lot to the community with a few patches/graphic packs and so on.

BTW, one of my main goals with SMW was to completely recreate the SMB3 engine and mechanics into the SMW. That was because the tools available for SMB3 romhacking was very limited and difficult to work with. The hacking community put all their effort into coding stuff for SMW, so it was kinda easier to go that route to recreate the experience of my favorite childhood game.

Well hey! Small world. 

I'm glad I managed to find someone here that shares the fondness of this franchise. My first experience with a ROM hack was when I saw my brother using his old no-service phone as a game tool. He imported hacks into it and I later built him a little handheld contraption that he could hold it in and also support his controller (A Wii-mote). When I randomly decided to watch what hew was playing, it was a SMW level that I've never seen before. When he told me that it was a ROM hack of SMW, my mind exploded.

While I never actually got into the dev side of any hacks, I certainly took the role of playing many of them. Maybe one day I'll look into it, but until then I just stick to what I have. The game I was referencing in my post is actually what you could call a Super Mario Maker on PC. It was released by Hello Fangaming in 2010 and is stylized in the SMB3 design. Hello Fangaming hardly ever responds to his audience and his websites are extremely low profiled. His website for Game Master had actually been shut down in 2015. So I'm basically taking the initiative to try and preserve what may end up going under the same fate as Game Master (Websites revolving around two other Mario Maker style games). They are made on the Hello SMB3 engine, but you put the level together with the tools provided in game.

TL;DR, I'm on a little quest to form a community of those who enjoy Mario to inspire some creativity to make courses/worlds for each other to try!

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/24/2022 at 2:03 PM, BarryMckinney said:

mario is a game of my childhood, i love it. It's a very interesting game. The purpose of this thread is to share some of my work with anyone who may be interested. TechToROMs

Me too, I love playing classic games like Mario. I usually play it on PlayStation Portable

• 1 year later...
On 1/1/2021 at 6:19 AM, Yannv said:

BTW, one of my main goals with SMW was to completely recreate the SMB3 engine and mechanics into the SMW. That was because the tools available for SMB3 romhacking was very limited and difficult to work with. The hacking community put all their effort into coding stuff for SMW, so it was kinda easier to go that route to recreate the experience of my favorite childhood game. Candy Crush

Me too.We have the same interests.

Edited by evawillms