Ruining your rare MAG, basic MAG info, and irreversible character progression

Hi everyone!

I am a new player and this is my first time playing Phantasy Star (other than playing PSO2 for a couple of weeks) so this is all very new to me. I am grateful for the amount of information out there but as a newbie I am pretty overwhelmed. I have looked at a few guides and read some wikis on basic MAG introduction as well as looked at some feeding and evolution charts, so if I ask questions that can just be searched I apologize but I am sifting through alot.

My main concern is "ruining" my MAG or putting in alot of hours on a character and having done something irreversible. I saw people selling MAGs on here so that assuaged my fear of doing irreversible leveling/evolution/stat changes to my MAG that didn't align with an end goal, as I can attain another in the future. However, I started reading more about materials and their caps and limits and started kind of freaking out again- but I think that I won't accidentally just be using materials left and right and that the mats are probably just the items that actually have the world 'material' in them and not just things like mates.

1) Is there anything special about the MAG that you start with or can I 'rectify' an incorrect feeding progression with simply buying or finding another MAG?

2) Are items with the name 'material' in it the only types of items that have a consumption limit on them?

3) Are rare MAG evolutions based on the section ID that you start with or the section ID that you are in when the MAG evolves?

4) Are there any other limits or caps (other than items that affect my character's stat distribution) to something I can do or consume that cannot be rectified by purchasing or using something? (ie: is there something I need to not do on my character that can only be rectified by recreating my character?)

I really appreciate any help, and I tried to avoid posting on here but I feel like my fear is holding me hostage to information searches so that I don't screw up. I love gathering knowledge but I would also like to be exploring the game for now as long as I am not making irreversible changes. If that means not consuming materials or feeding my MAG for now (will it die? T.T) then I am perfectly okay with that if those are the only things I need to worry about in the short term!

Hi, welcome. 

Quick answers to your questions:

1) no, that mag is standard. If you make a mistake on your mag you can just get a new one by either finding one or creating a new character and transferring it over. There are special mags that you can get from an advanced quest that have 0 def starting stats that are desirable late game for maxing stats, but the ones that you start with are no different from ones you may find during the game. 

2) Yes, materials are the only items that impact character stats that have a consumption limit. This limit varies from race to race. These can be reset if a mistake is made or if you want to re-stat, using a command in lobby "/matreset (material type)".

3) Most rare mag cells require specific conditions to be able to use those cells, and most rare mags that do not require cells have specific requirements including mag level, section ID, class, or gender. Best to look up individual requirements for whatever mag you are looking to make.

4) Not that I can think of. Most things about your character can be reset or modified, such as stats or appearance. The only thing that is kind of a pain to rework is the mag. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RocketTots said:

Hi, welcome. 

Quick answers to your questions:

1) no, that mag is standard. If you make a mistake on your mag you can just get a new one by either finding one or creating a new character and transferring it over. There are special mags that you can get from an advanced quest that have 0 def starting stats that are desirable late game for maxing stats, but the ones that you start with are no different from ones you may find during the game. 

2) Yes, materials are the only items that impact character stats that have a consumption limit. This limit varies from race to race. These can be reset if a mistake is made or if you want to re-stat, using a command in lobby "/matreset (material type)".

3) Most rare mag cells require specific conditions to be able to use those cells, and most rare mags that do not require cells have specific requirements including mag level, section ID, class, or gender. Best to look up individual requirements for whatever mag you are looking to make.

4) Not that I can think of. Most things about your character can be reset or modified, such as stats or appearance. The only thing that is kind of a pain to rework is the mag. 

Thank you for the welcome! It is super convenient to know what that command is good for.

I haven't had any issues finding requirements for all sorts of types of MAGs, but I was just wondering if I need to start a new character in order to randomly *start* in the correct section ID for a particular MAG evolution or if changing section IDs through command is sufficient for meeting the correct section ID requirement before I evolve it.

20 hours ago, Kaijikun said:

3) Are rare MAG evolutions based on the section ID that you start with or the section ID that you are in when the MAG evolves?

19 hours ago, RocketTots said:

Mag feeding Is quite a complex thing In this game, but I'll try:

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1240 Hunter Mag Hunter's Mag Evolution Tree
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1241 Ranger Mag Ranger's Mag Evolution Tree
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1238 Force Mag Force's Mag Evolution Tree

Depending on what class you're using, your mag can evolve differently "Once It reaches level 10" on said class.

Then, after reaching level 10, what's next to mag evolution depends on what stat (POW, DEX or MIND. Defense Is Irrelevant, but It's best If you never level It up, for It Is also part of the Mag leveling), your mag evolves according to each trees. It means, for example, If your mag's POW Is superior than DEX & MIND, then It will evolve Into the POW mag (according to the tree), and so goes for the same with DEX & MIND.
(Like said before, Defense doesn't have much of a role, unless you are going for the Special Mags, but that's another thing mentioning later)

*Important to know: If your mag evolved according to any of the classes for the first time, Its second evolution will keep evolving to said class evolution, too, no matter what other class you are using.

And then, for the third evolution, the conditions thickens a little. Now, the conditions for your mag to evolves depends on a "Stat < Stat < Stat" pattern. Like POW < MIND < DEX, or POW < DEX < MIND, and so on.

Know that It doesn't matter If your second evolution was based on POW, DEX or MIND. If you can manage to raise a stat above the superior stat on the second evolution, you can change the direction of the evolution tree. Like, your second evolution was based on POW as the superior stat. If before reaching level 50, you manage to raise another stat, be It DEX or MIND, your mag can evolve  with a new pattern.

*Another Important Info to know related to the previous "Important to know": Do you remember how a mag's second evolution Is related to the first evolution, that It depends on what class evolve It? Well, on third evolution, It doesn't matter what class evolved your mag for the first time: A mag's third evolution depends on what class evolves It for the third time, plus.... Its evolution also depends on a character's ID. (Yes, Purplenum, Pinkal, Redria, Whitil, all of those IDs. Of course, according to each class mag evolution, there are only two columns with spread IDs, so there's only two sections on how IDs can make a difference on Mag evolution, too)

The three class' mag evolution tree shows In detail how they evolve :D

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1021 Mag Charts Mag Feeding Chart

This chart shows how much each Items feed the mag's stats. Somewhere here In the forum there Is a strategy on how to feed them, so one doesn't have to worry too much on order and such... (and I can't find It at this moment :onion-head06:)

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2343 Episode 4 Mag Evolution Guide

The name says It. Everything you want to know about them Is there.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=1031 Special Mags guide.

In order to create these mags, certain conditions must be met. You can see more In there.