A beginners guide to grinding and getting rich on Ultima

16 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

I just checked TTFU to compare, and there is 1 hildebear/blue spawns in the first room, and 7 in the second, totaling 30-45 seconds vs the 32 spawns in max attack forest in a little over two minutes. I am using a max MST FO, but even still I don't see TTFU being more efficient considering the time it takes to lobby out and reloaded the room every 8 spawns. Players also miss out on mind mats dropped by blue rappys.

Please note the words "prefer" and "arguably" in my reply. The point here is that providing a menu of applicable quests is better than pigeon-holing a new user to a quest. As you said, you were using a max mst fo. 

Equipment, level, play style will all impact which quests would be optimal for new players. I'd be interested to see you clear MAU Forest in a little over two minutes as you say, as each run from counter to counter is anywhere from 3:45 to 4:00 in my runs. 

Case in point:

Time from lobby to lobby:

With a max FOmar - TTFU yields 7 hilde at 72 seconds, MAU Forest yields 7 hilde at 106 seconds, and the entire run of MAUF yields 32 hilde at 3 min 57 seconds (237 seconds).

At these times here is the break down of hilde per second:

• If the player runs entire quest:
    • TTFU: 9.722% (7/72)
    • MAUF: 13.33% (32/237)
  • If the player runs until the second room of each quest (7 hildes):
    • MAUF: 6.660% (7/106)

Ultimately the difference is negligible. It comes down to what class, level, gear, playstyle the user has and whether or not they are willing to lobby frequently. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RocketTots said:

Please note the words "prefer" and "arguably" in my reply. The point here is that providing a menu of applicable quests is better than pigeon-holing a new user to a quest. As you said, you were using a max mst fo. 

Equipment, level, play style will all impact which quests would be optimal for new players. I'd be interested to see you clear MAU Forest in a little over two minutes as you say, as each run from counter to counter is anywhere from 3:45 to 4:00 in my runs. 

Case in point:

Time from lobby to lobby:

With a max FOmar - TTFU yields 7 hilde at 72 seconds, MAU Forest yields 7 hilde at 106 seconds, and the entire run of MAUF yields 32 hilde at 3 min 57 seconds (237 seconds).

Ultimately the difference is negligible. It comes down to what class, level, gear, playstyle the user has and whether or not they are willing to lobby frequently. 

Again, you're ignoring that MAUF has 4x the spawns, also drops mind mats, and grants meseta for completing the quest. If you would link me to a screen recording program, I will show you how long the quest takes. Farming it myself I have to wait once I finish the quest in order to feed my mag.

I've provided the enemy, episode, and difficulty level for each drop. A new player can farm them in whatever method they want, they don't even have to use a quest if they find them too tedious, but I'm only interested in providing the method most beneficial to new players.

I appreciate your feedback. But you seem to be unnecessarily argumentative (why would a player stop at the second room of MAUF?). I'll look into the Photon Crystal suggestion you made when I get the time.

Edited by jdhenry124

The method @RocketTots offered WAS "the method most beneficial to new players.", this guide is a nice thought and appreciated for new players and old I'm sure, but I see nowhere that Rocket is being unnecessarily argumentative when providing valuable information he doesn't want new players to miss out on.

On a side note I would also like to know if you are including green name time into your calculations on MAUF begin the "best" option to run.

1 minute ago, jdhenry124 said:

Again, you're ignoring that MAUF has 4x the spawns, also drops mind mats, and grants meseta for completing the quest. If you would link me to a screen recording program, I will show you how long the quest takes. Farming it myself I have to wait once I finish the quest in order to feed my mag.

Again, not ignoring the increased drops, TTFU also has chance to drop mind mats, and meseta is worthless. In fact, if you look at the math I've factored that in. I have calcs for if the player does the entire quest as well. My point is that this quest may or may not be ideal for new players, especially if they are running solo and that it would be good to provide multiple applicable quests for farming these items. 

4 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

I appreciate your feedback. But you seem to be unnecessarily argumentative (why would a player stop at the second room of MAUF?). I'll look into the Photon Crystal suggestion you made when I get the time.

Providing feedback to make a guide more user friendly should not be interpreted as argumentative and if that's how it comes across, I apologize as that wasn't my intent. And again, I have provided the rate for if the player does not stop at the second room. The reason I provided the number if they DID stop, was to do a real comparison of 7 enemies to 7 enemies between the quests, and then compare that to the whole quest. 

Link to screen recording software: https://obsproject.com/

Link to my recordings of both quests: MAUF: 

TTFU: 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Usagi said:

The method @RocketTots offered WAS "the method most beneficial to new players.", this guide is a nice thought and appreciated for new players and old I'm sure, but I see nowhere that Rocket is being unnecessarily argumentative when providing valuable information he doesn't want new players to miss out on.

On a side note I would also like to know if you are including green name time into your calculations on MAUF begin the "best" option to run.

....what? Green names is universal to every quest. The lowered rare enemy rate would apply to TTFU as well as MAUF. 

Perhaps I misunderstood Tots, but his own post presented clear evidence for MAUF being more efficient to grind:

1 hour ago, RocketTots said:

Ultimately the difference is negligible.

The only way TTFU could be seen as more efficient is if the player /lobby after the second room of MAUF, which I don't know why they would do.

And new players are in need of meseta which is a benefit over TTFU, as well as mind mats dropped along the way. Both of these are not "worthless" for new players, as they need meseta to raise their mag, and they can sell mind mats for PDs or use them on their own characters.

Edited by jdhenry124
  • Dislike 1

The rate at which you get the spawns matter and if this is a "get rich quick" guide you absolutely should be getting use to lobbying.

Just like IDS, if you want to farm PDs from that quest are you going to argue new players shouldn't because "there be lotsa meseta at the end"?

23 minutes ago, RocketTots said:

Link to my recordings of both quests: MAUF:

TTFU: 

Thanks for the videos, maybe I was taking for granted having a hylian shield equipped as RAzonde kills everything in one hit.

I'm back to working full time, so I'll look into this tomorrow night when I'm free and will update as needed

9 minutes ago, Usagi said:

The rate at which you get the spawns matter and if this is a "get rich quick" guide you absolutely should be getting use to lobbying.

Just like IDS, if you want to farm PDs from that quest are you going to argue new players shouldn't because "there be lotsa meseta at the end"?

Ummm... That's not at all similar. Running all of IDS takes upwards of 45 minutes, whereas me and tots are comparing 8 spawns in 1 minute vs 32 spawns in 3-4.

Also I have to say it's frustrating when I take the time to create a guide to help new players with info I wish I had when I started just a few months ago. and in return I get veterans of the server disliking my posts, bringing down my rep.

I'm trying to help people here, I believe Tots is doing the same. Why are you here?

Edited by jdhenry124

14 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

Thanks for the videos, maybe I was taking for granted having a hylian shield equipped as RAzonde kills everything in one hit.

I'm back to working full time, so I'll look into this tomorrow night when I'm free and will update as needed

Ummm... That's not at all similar. Running all of IDS takes upwards of 45 minutes, whereas me a tots are comparing 8 spawns in 1 minute vs 32 spawns in 3-4.

Also I have to say it's frustrating when I take the time to create a guide to help new players with info I wish I had when I started just a few months ago. and in return I get veterans of the server disliking my posts, bringing down my rep.

I'm trying to help people here, I believe Tots is doing the same. Why are you here?

The only reason I dislike it is because WE TRIED TO OFFER INFO WE WISH WE HAD STARTING TOO and it was met with you being dismissive calling someone "unnecessarily argumentative" for helping. It has nothing to do with us being veterans of the game or to lower your rep, I'm here because I didn't want helpful information to help new people to be dismissed on your guide. Also its a PUBLIC forum how dare you ask me why I'm here!

Just now, Usagi said:

The only reason I dislike it is because WE TRIED TO OFFER INFO WE WISH WE HAD STARTING TOO and it was met with you being dismissive calling someone "unnecessarily argumentative" for helping. It has nothing to do with us being veterans of the game or to lower your rep, I'm here because I didn't want helpful information to help new people to be dismissed on your guide. Also its a PUBLIC forum how dare you ask me why I'm here!

Not arguing with you anymore. You misunderstood or misrepresented what I've said. I'm open to Tots suggestion, and I'll look into it.

Again, let me post tots own data on the matter and why I was dismissive initially:

1 hour ago, RocketTots said:

Clearly showing MAUF giving more hildes per second unless the player /lobby after the second room of MAUF. Which is an absurd comparison considering most of the hilde spawns are in the third and fourth room.

In addition, there are much more more rappy spawns, and the player is given meseta for each run of MAUF, which takes less than 4 minutes.

I think Tots has a valid point in that maybe players with weaker gear and stats would benefit from TTFU instead, which I'll look onto.

But I'm glad you acknowledge that this info is useful. It's a wonder you didn't post anything similar in your 3 years on the server

• Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

But I'm glad you acknowledge that this info is useful. It's a wonder you didn't post anything similar in your 3 years on the server

NO, its not a wonder because you might notice I DON'T USE FORUMS A LOT nor do I care to use English all that much. I just posted here because i saw some potentially useful information was being passed over.

But you know what is a wonder? For someone who is trying to be helpful you sure are a rude individual.

I think there is a lot of benefit to having several options of quests to grind for items, mats, pds, etc.  Also, maybe you might want to include Christmas Catastrophe for getting luck and tp mats. 

39 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

Better than being a dick and attempting to sound smart for more internet clout, but eh, whatever makes you sleep better at night brother.

1 hour ago, JADE said:

I think there is a lot of benefit to having several options of quests to grind for items, mats, pds, etc.  Also, maybe you might want to include Christmas Catastrophe for getting luck and tp mats. 

I debated placing Christmas catastrophe on the guide. Tho I haven't ran the quest in a while, I remember it being quite long and not really an effective use of time compared to running MotV or even IDS for a quick PD.

I don't want to direct a new player to a overly long quest with such a small reward (1pd value material) if the guide is about getting items for trading.

Although logging on multiple devices fixes this, I don't know if im allowed to recommend that

1 hour ago, mudkipzjm said:

Better than being a dick and attempting to sound smart for more internet clout, but eh, whatever makes you sleep better at night brother.

Lol, it really is a wonder why anyone bothers on this server

Edited by jdhenry124

rare monster event is what u guys called green name...hmmm i get 12-15 pow mat 5 - 8 mind mats if u do wrath of forest (hmmm) counting on my toes... that take like 6 runs give or take...lol...you dont need a TA f#ck that just play casual ...starting drama is pointless...welcome to ultima server..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, jdhenry124 said:

I debated placing Christmas catastrophe on the guide. Tho I haven't ran the quest in a while, I remember it being quite long and not really and effective use of time compared to running MotV or even IDS for a quick PD.

I don't want to direct a new player to a overly long quest with such a small reward (1pd value material) if the guide is about getting items for trading.

Although logging on multiple devices fixes this, I don't know im allowed to recommend that

You can absolutely recommend multi-logging as it is totally allowed on this server. Also, Christmas Catastrophe on very hard gives 2 mats per character per run.  But I understand the idea of making the most profitable use of your time. I just also think that giving more options of quests to run can help players of any experience level achieve the desired goal. What is easy to one player might be difficult to another imo. But thank you for your time and effort. I think this guide will be beneficial.

• Like 2