Coming back to PSO after more than a decade with a goal in mind, need some advice

KSicat

Originally I played PSO on the GC offline. Last time I played was probably 15 years ago. Every now and then I get the urge to play again and I think it is because I never "beat" the game. My highest level character was maybe 116 and was a HUnewearl. My friend and I shared the save file so we had a couple more characters with different IDs for hunting items and occasionally split screen. We never made it past Mines in EP1 and VR Temple in EP2. Enemies hit too hard, I missed a lot (I did stack God/Arms and get whatever hit I could), many deaths were had. 

So now I feel like playing again and have a goal in mind. Finish every episode on Ultimate. It isn't the loftiest goal but it means a lot to me because I haven't, conscientiously, looked at screenshots of the areas in their ultimate form. I was always hoping to make it there myself. 

With that said, I was hoping for advice on what character to go with, section ID and weapons to hunt for to make the journey easier etc. I'm not attached to my HUnewearl since I just picked her because I was teenage boy. I did some light reading though and people recommend her or RAmarl for solo. Since it is 15 years later I have a job and a baby to take care of so doing groups seems like a bad idea because I could be called away at anytime. Also since I mostly played solo I think I'd like to finish it all by myself.

I was never a good hunter so I also don't know many of the mechanics of the game I think. My friend and I mostly concerned ourselves with looking cool. We used double sabers or twin swords for the most part and the last thing I remember doing was hunting Al Rappies for Sange which I did eventually get but didn't have a Yasha to pair it with. Generally understood the game but never made use of weapon specials I think. I'm probably missing a lot of knowledge on how to actually play the game aside from basic stuff.

So any and all advice is welcomed.

If you're soloing ramarl is the easiest class. Get yourself an a nice arrest needle and Mille Faucilles and you'll be set. 

You could absolutely play with other people. No one minds if you have to step away for whatever reason. We are all adults

When i started pso about 14 years ago being only 6 years old i have always been Ramar, simply cause he looked cool at the time. Getting older still playing on the GameCube i quickly realised that it ultimately was my favourite class to use as range is my preferred style and i would say easier to solo, only in my opinion of course. Shifta and deband is a massive help along with resta so you don't have to spend too much meseta on mates. ID wise i'm not really sure, i was a Redria on GameCube but honestly can't remember if that was in my favour as a Ramar.

This server does have a drop chat which you can check out to check if anything tickles your fantasyhttps://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/droptable/drop-tables/  Along with many custom units and weapons to keep you hunting after you think you have everything you need. There are events on the server too such as Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Valentines, Summer event with a few more too. The staff are always working hard for the server so that it suits everyone to ensure people enjoy this game as much as they can.

The forum is a great place to ask for help, no one will give you stick for stupid questions, you can ask for help hunting or leveling and people are generally quite happy to do so. For the most part this community are really quite chill and friendly and just like you love pso, so that's already something in common. So just chill out, hunt and just enjoy yourself!

50 minutes ago, KSicat said:

Originally I played PSO on the GC offline. Last time I played was probably 15 years ago. Every now and then I get the urge to play again and I think it is because I never "beat" the game. My highest level character was maybe 116 and was a HUnewearl. My friend and I shared the save file so we had a couple more characters with different IDs for hunting items and occasionally split screen. We never made it past Mines in EP1 and VR Temple in EP2. Enemies hit too hard, I missed a lot (I did stack God/Arms and get whatever hit I could), many deaths were had. 

So now I feel like playing again and have a goal in mind. Finish every episode on Ultimate. It isn't the loftiest goal but it means a lot to me because I haven't, conscientiously, looked at screenshots of the areas in their ultimate form. I was always hoping to make it there myself. 

With that said, I was hoping for advice on what character to go with, section ID and weapons to hunt for to make the journey easier etc. I'm not attached to my HUnewearl since I just picked her because I was teenage boy. I did some light reading though and people recommend her or RAmarl for solo. Since it is 15 years later I have a job and a baby to take care of so doing groups seems like a bad idea because I could be called away at anytime. Also since I mostly played solo I think I'd like to finish it all by myself.

I was never a good hunter so I also don't know many of the mechanics of the game I think. My friend and I mostly concerned ourselves with looking cool. We used double sabers or twin swords for the most part and the last thing I remember doing was hunting Al Rappies for Sange which I did eventually get but didn't have a Yasha to pair it with. Generally understood the game but never made use of weapon specials I think. I'm probably missing a lot of knowledge on how to actually play the game aside from basic stuff.

So any and all advice is welcomed.

It's under construction but you should check this post out. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, C01D1 said:

It's under construction but you should check this post out. 

Thanks! I saw that and watched your beginner video. The commands were very useful. But I was hoping for more specific advice like get X weapon or use these types of weapons. Stuff on how to build a MAG. I honestly don't know what is a good weapon. I just used what was cool looking. 

8 minutes ago, KSicat said:

Thanks! I saw that and watched your beginner video. The commands were very useful. But I was hoping for more specific advice like get X weapon or use these types of weapons. Stuff on how to build a MAG. I honestly don't know what is a good weapon. I just used what was cool looking. 

What class are you? As for mags It's not my area of expertise. 

1 hour ago, KSicat said:

Here's a little guide I was working on in my notes app. Its not totally finished, but I figured I'd post it since you were needing help