C01D1s Quickstart and FAQ guide for PSOBB Ultima

1 hour ago, jdhenry124 said:

Falz - ice resistance

Epsi - fire resistance

Gryphon - lightning resistance

These are the examples that immediately come to mind. If I was underleveled and/or was trying to solo or duo these enemies it would help if I could survive their most common attack. They are also commonly given event drops.

And even if the resistances "are nice but not essential" isn't the entire point of a "max stat calculator" to figure out the best way to max your character with the gear you have?

There is an extremely easy way to get 15 resistance UNITs I made a video, its perfect for beginners! Also I have nothing to do with that calculator, I write the stats of things down on a  notepad lol.

Edited by C01D1

37 minutes ago, C01D1 said:

There is an extremely easy way to get 15 resistance UNITs I made a video, its perfect for beginners! Also I have nothing to do with that calculator, I write the stats of things down on a  notepad lol.

I never said you did. But I requested it in the max stats guide and I don't think anyone saw it. And since this is a thread about making the forums more beginner friendly, I thought the suggestion would fit here. The calculator is great, I use it all the time, but I think adding resistances would make it even better and more useful.

It would also reinforce to new players how important resistances are. Something that I didn't realize until a few hundred hours into the game and something I frequently have to teach other players about

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Soly said:

I'll hold on a little bit, once you have other stuff up/need more posts to put new stuff I'll remove these replies.

Is that even necessary? There will always be stuff to add / edit in this guide as it will never be perfectly complete. And it's prone to changes with server news. I mean we never deleted comments on any other guides and we are not going to delete every single new comment or lock this topic, are we? I don't see any problem leaving them here.

A couple questions I would ask if I were a noob reading your guide:

• Do I have to press all the switches to unlock CCA or do I just need to be the room host? (need to press them yourself in any room same difficulty and mode, only one person can do it per run)
  • I don't know how to make a max stats plan, are there any already made plans? (yes)
  • So EXP x5 is random but how about EXP x3 and x2? (X3 is until lvl 160, X2 is after lvl 160, and those boosts are not stacked with X5)
  • Does /dropstyle 1 have any drawback? (every additional player in the party reduces the DAR - Drop Anything Rate from monsters)
  • What is WOI? (World Of Illusion, although I don't recommend any beginner to play that, better use the other quests on normal for PDs)

Now some other suggestions:

21 hours ago, C01D1 said:

1$ = 1 DT = 7 PDs

Please don't use yellow background color, it's unreadable with dark theme forum.
Then this can be kinda misleading: with that you might get new people to think 1 dt = 7 pd is a rate set in stone while it isn't. This rate is actually unfair: gonna quote myself for the explanations:

On 10/9/2019 at 3:55 PM, R-78 said:

First of all, don't ever trade 1 DT for 6.6 PD.
It used to be the common rate years ago when you could not farm Photon drops in quests.
Now, unless there is some special event up (like hit event) a fair rate is 1 DT = 8 PD.
99 PDs (1 PS) can get you 30% on a weapon.
15 DTs can get you 35%.
Mathematically speaking, 30% is a 12.857 DT worth, which comes to a rate of 1 DT = 7.7 PD.
But this is only about attributes %.
DTs can do more things than PDs: you can add Hit%, you can add Specials, you can split the % on several weapons, and you are not stuck with weapons that have more than 70% in one attribute.
In other words, anything below 1:7.7 is totally unfair.

Useful abbreviations for trading:
S > item X       you are selling item X
B > item X       you want to buy item X
PC > item X     you need a price check for item X

Useful abbreviations for everything:

(Too many new people get confused by some usual abbreviations like DM, ROCT etc. Everything is here)

The most important part about this is how you actually unlock it. You briefly mentionned it in the video description but you should also tell what exactly one has to do in the Tower: talking to Paganini at quest start and after collecting the data from the terminal.

18 hours ago, Larva said:

There was also a Topic that had information of what items drop on the events and when the events to be expected, already search and cant find it

This is actually a good one, and it is up to date @C01D1

You should as well talk about the Green Names: how easy it becomes to farm stuff like Addslots, Trigrinders etc thanks to it, and that it's random and decided by Larva only since it's frequently asked "green name when".

Could also tell what you can do with DTs and what you should not do (like buying anything from the Donation list)

Just saying I know some people who felt really frustrated getting lvl 200 too fast thanks to CCA farming while their gear didn't follow their levels grind, and literally left Ultima because of that. I think CCA grind should be used only if you really need levels.

Some people don't like when it's too fast, and for those people, /exp 0 command exists.

Mention /changesectionid because some people just remake their chars when they realize they didn't get a good ID. Don't forget the 3 months use limit (yeah I've seen people change their ID or name to check if that was working and they were stuck with the unwanted ID / name)

/magtimer can also help for early mag feeding.

Levels requirements:

Hard - episode I : 20
Hard - episode II : 30
Hard - episode IV : 40

Very Hard - episode I : 50
Very Hard - episode II : 60
Very Hard - episode IV : 70

Ultimate - episode I : 90
Ultimate - episode II : 100
Ultimate - episode IV : 110

Ultima classes max stats change (compared to vanilla):

ATP : +100
DFP : +100
MST : +100 (for non casts)
ATA : +10
EVP : +30

There are many other useful guides for noobs that got lost in the forums, such as this one for Enemy parts:

So many newbs ask why they can't get past Forest story mode quests, as Government part is not obvious at all.

If you also feel like making a video tutorial for farming and using Photon crystal to add hit on enemy parts, that could help noobs since this can be easily done on normal.

Oh and usual trap:

Hit F11 if you cannot move

I might post more suggestions later.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jdhenry124 said:

I'm going to request this again in this thread, please add resistances to the Ultima stat calculator.

they are much more important than def or evp for surviving the quests needed to farm gear on this server. And right now there's no way to know which gear is best for what quest other than tedious inventory management.

I'll look into it, if you check the source files aka (https://www.phantasystaronline.net/pages/tool-box/calculators/max-stats/data-items.js)
I already have the resistances on armor stuff (although it might not be 100% accurate since some things are hardcoded)

1 hour ago, R-78 said:

Is that even necessary? There will always be stuff to add / edit in this guide as it will never be perfectly complete. And it's prone to changes with server news. I mean we never deleted comments on any other guides and we are not going to delete every single new comment or lock this topic, are we? I don't see any problem leaving them here.

It not having been done before doesn't meant we can't... but I guess since is a forum post not by ourselves (staff/server) then it doesn't matter much...

22 hours ago, C01D1 said:

1$ = 1 DT = 7 PDs

1 hour ago, R-78 said:

Please don't use yellow background color, it's unreadable with dark theme forum.

Tbh, just don't use any background color at all, better color the text itself and bold it.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Soly said:

I'll look into it, if you check the source files aka (https://www.phantasystaronline.net/pages/tool-box/calculators/max-stats/data-items.js)
I already have the resistances on armor stuff (although it might not be 100% accurate since some things are hardcoded)

It not having been done before doesn't meant we can't... but I guess since is a forum post not by ourselves (staff/server) then it doesn't matter much...

Tbh, just don't use any background color at all, better color the text itself and bold it.

Yeah I fixed it, didn't realize it played havoc with people with Bat eyes that need dark themes lol.

Quote the event item lists and item combination lists for this thread? (I dont know how lol)

I always felt it was wayyy to hard to find the list of weapons and the requirements. I usually end up using pso wiki for the non bbu items, but every time have to hunt down those combinations threads for server exclusive items i think about how it would be a pain for new players to find the thread, let alone know it exists and what to search for. 

I feel this thread will have a lot of foot traffic for new players and could help point them to that information faster.

Edited by applesaucin

For item combinations probably the best would be the item wiki tbh.
I could add a notes section to the combinations, so any special/non programmatic requirements can be added there.

Most of the item wiki is auto generated from the game config files and stuff like inability to use an item because of a stat requirement is ignored.

I should probably also add a manual override of class usage disallow...

A link I noticed that's missing that's really good is this. https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/33082-ultimas-custom-equips/

On 8/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, C01D1 said:

LEVEL UP FAST:

Sometimes 5X Experience is enabled making this even faster. Fastest way to level up is by spamming TTF VR (toward the future) until you are level 100. Then you can unlock CCA (central control area) by pressing the 3 switches at jungle-, mountain- and seaside area. Once you have unlocked cca you can rush/kill Gal Gryphon over and over again. He gives you the highest exp in game. do that till lvl 200

Max stats calculator (where you can make a plan for your lvl200 character):
https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/tool-box/calculators/max-stats/

TRADING:

People on this server love to trade items. there is a whole market in the forum where you can sell/buy stuff.
There are 2 currencies accepted by the players: Photon Drops (PDs)(THESE CAN BE FARMED IN GAME) and Donation Tickets (DTs) (THESE ARE FORUM ACCOUNT ONLY)

PDs drop while playing or you can collect them at some quests ie. WOI EP2. DTs you can get by donating real money to the server or selling items.

1$ = 1 DT = 7.7 or 8 PDs

There are items that go for 2 PDs and others go for 500 DTs
You can always ask at the chat box on the start page of the forum if you want to know the price of any item.

I'd like to mention that TTF is not always going to be fastest or easiest way to level up. Depending on if you can carry yourself things like MASE4 and PTS are faster to Ultimate than TTF is. 

Another thing worth noting is that Photon Drops come REALLY easily on Ultima and that conversion is definitely up to the seller / buyer and I as a trader would never recommend letting your DTs go at that low of a rate unless there's a hit event or something. Otherwise you're pretty much getting scammed. 

2 hours ago, Saber +7 said:

A link I noticed that's missing that's really good is this. https://www.phantasystaronline.net/forum/index.php?/topic/33082-ultimas-custom-equips/

I'd like to mention that TTF is not always going to be fastest or easiest way to level up. Depending on if you can carry yourself things like MASE4 and PTS are faster to Ultimate than TTF is. 

Another thing worth noting is that Photon Drops come REALLY easily on Ultima and that conversion is definitely up to the seller / buyer and I as a trader would never recommend letting your DTs go at that low of a rate unless there's a hit event or something. Otherwise you're pretty much getting scammed. 

This guide is for beginners TTF to CCA is most likely the best route especially with 5x exp takes like less then 3 hours to get to 100. I will add your guide.